Marbella - advice needed

Therapist

Me and Mrs Therapist are off to Marbella on 29 May for 5 nights. We are staying in the middle of the town.

Never been before so has anyone got any recommendations for good bars and restaurants. Incidentally, I want proper the proper experience, none of the touristy stuff.

Thanks in advance.

hughesie27

Take a trip to Gibraltar and Benalmadena. Also have a wee visit to La Rosaleda stadium in Malaga.

malaga072xh.jpg

As for Marbella. I've only ever drove through it, looked alright though.

The Doctor

I was in Marbella for my honeymoon back in '95.

From what I remember it was lovely, not too touristy at all. Lot's of boutique restaurants and bars. If I could remember the names I would tell you, but it was long time ago.

The quayside was quite loud at night, but not tacky. Although it's Costa del Sol, it's really a cut above some of the other areas.

Boaby Ewing

Sean Connery used to live there. It's mainly golf, sunshine and Scottish nationalism.

And beards. Aside from old Sean and his wrinkle mask, Osama Bin Laden was another hirsute visitor throughout the 70s.

Restaurant and Tapas bar - Santiago on the Paseo de Maritimo.

La Bodega

La Venencia

Bar Simon - excellent cerveceria.

Seafood - Altamirano in the old town.

Proper fino and manchego/serrano bar - El Callejon.

Go to Puerto Banus for a night out - (taxi costs 8.30 Euros) and visit Sinatras bar and Salduba bar.

You left out "The Navy"???

Go to Puerto Banus for a night out - (taxi costs 8.30 Euros) and visit Sinatras bar and Salduba bar.

Cheers. Keep the suggestions coming.

A pretty obvious suggestion but make sure to spend some time around the marina, some really breathtaking yachts down there.

Really nice place, much classier than the surrounding areas.

Just back.....details a bit sketchy.

Peurto Banus is good for drugs, prostitution & gangsters both real and imaginary - (met Phil Mitchell :rolleyes:) some interesting characters have yachts in the harbour.

For a more romantic experience - drive north into the hills to Ronda - v. nice.

Loadsa great wee bars in and around the old town. A couple of favourites are El Estrecho, tangita and la pesquera.

TBH its pretty hard to go wrong if you avoid orange square - although even there it is pretty decent but you pay more!

Take a trip to Gibraltar and Benalmadena. Also have a wee visit to La Rosaleda stadium in Malaga.

malaga072xh.jpg

As for Marbella. I've only ever drove through it, looked alright though.

Forgot to mention, avoid benalmadena and gibraltar like the plague - especially if you want to avoid the "tourist xxxx" - sorry Hughesie!!

From my experience of Gibraltar I would agree. Dont go there. Nothing much to see and rip off prices to take you to the top of the rock.

Although it was fun watching the Spanish smuggling cigarettes back into Spain in their speed boats.

CostaJambo

Loads of weed for sale behind the goals at the Rosaleda! If you want the 'real' Andalucia head inland about 30-45 minutes. Also agree Gib is pretty boring unless visiting a British supermarket or 'collecting' new countries is a novelty.

PresidentRomanov

Best advice I could give, would be to go to Magaluf with your mates instead :)

Cheers chaps. Very useful. Keep them coming.

PB - I've done my stint in Magaluf with you lot and I'm not wasting a week's holiday on it again. I'll keep my powder dry until Damien's Thailand trip or somewhere similarly interesting. ;)

Gerd Muller

The main road through Marbella, shops on either side but there is a nice little area where the old town is. Its called La Plaza de los Naranjos (Orange Square with the Orange trees growing there). Nice little back streets with some bars, cafes, restaurants etc,

Ray Winstone
The main road through Marbella, shops on either side but there is a nice little area where the old town is. Its called La Plaza de los Naranjos (Orange Square with the Orange trees growing there). Nice little back streets with some bars, cafes, restaurants etc,

PMSL!

Ray Winstone
nice of you to explain why. :wacko:

It doesnt matter. Some will understand.

Gerd Muller
It doesnt matter. Some will understand.

Again nice of you to explain. I know there is already a comment about that certain part of Marbella but I'm giving my opinion that I know its a nice place for a drink and a walk.

Again nice of you to explain. I know there is already a comment about that certain part of Marbella but I'm giving my opinion that I know its a nice place for a drink and a walk.

I think it's the orange references mate....

FWIW...I agree with you...Orange Square is cracking........great place for a g&t with ice and slice.

Archived