USA Soccer Moms suing FIFA

Pans Jambo

Just listening to bbc radio Scotland & they are discussing head injuries due to heading a football. Soccer Moms in America want a maximum amount of times a player can head a ball during a game!

Pansies! discuss.

Francis Albert

Time to move on to netball.

On the other hand it would certainly be one way to encourage playing it on the ground where it mostly should be played.

If they want to change it they should do it in their own amateur leagues, why try and change the rules for the whole planet? It's a contact sport so you might get hurt

The easiest way for FIFA to resolve this is to make it law for all under 16s in the US to wear boxing helmets when playing. The rest of the world, who apparently have no trouble in differentiating a football from a breeze block, brick wall or a condensed four tonnes of diamond nanorod, can then carry on as normal.

Are the modern footballs not much lighter & softer than the balls that used to be used a few decades ago?

Siphiwe Tshabalala

Worked there for 4 months this year and was involved in club football, they really are concussion daft and i mean daft.

No doubt the Mothers will be backed up by a greasy Lawyer licking his lips at the thought of forthcoming litigation against FIFA.

Just listening to bbc radio Scotland & they are discussing head injuries due to heading a football. Soccer Moms in America want a maximum amount of times a player can head a ball during a game!

Pansies! discuss.

Presumably less head knocks at football makes them a safer bet when handling an Uzi.

tartofmidlothian

Can't wait for the PR machine that is Sepp Blatter to respond to this one.....

Of course, if Soccer Moms took their kids to games in really tight shorts, none of this would be a problem...

There is some thoughts that heading has caused brain damage

Jeff Astle

http://en.wikipedia....eath_and_legacy

IIRC John Cumming was suffering as well prior to his death.

Should this be a case to ban heading though?

Are the modern footballs not much lighter & softer than the balls that used to be used a few decades ago?

wasn't all the possible brain injuries suffered by older players believed to be due to the old heavier balls?

Brave Hearts

USA Mums don't want their sons heading a football coz it is dangerous but allow them to have the right to possess guns........

I don't know the medical effects of heading the ball regularly over a lengthy period, but certainly some ex-players seem punchy. This is just an extension of investigation in to head injury in american football players which is very much in vogue in america right now and appears to be very serious.

The Mighty Thor

USA Mums don't want their sons heading a football coz it is dangerous but allow them to have the right to possess guns........

Just what i was going to type.

These 'soccer' moms should be castigated for not taking their 9 year olds to 'bullets and burgers' to fire fully automatic machine pistols not pishing about playing the beautiful game.

The Mighty Thor

I don't know the medical effects of heading the ball regularly over a lengthy period, but certainly some ex-players seem punchy. This is just an extension of investigation in to head injury in american football players which is very much in vogue in america right now and appears to be very serious.

To be fair the majority of players of a certain age that are incoherent shambling wrecks is generally down to the amount of bevvy they've tanned in over their lifetimes.

Step forward one 'Champagne' Charles Nicholas Esq.

It's easy.. in the USA just ban heading.. that'll keep all the silly soccer moms happy.

Studies are being done and should continue to be done....indeed in the times of the old leather footballs there may well have been a case though not through ignoring the facts just through ignorance od the possible side effects.

In this day and age there is a responsibility to keep studies up to date and FIFA etc should do so.

The law in the USA is a mixture of madness and genius.. this case is being led by the money grabbing sharks of the legal profession aided by the money grabbing parents who sit back and let the sharks do the work for a cut of what will in all probabilty be nothing.........but if its someting then it is more than they would ever get themselves.......I mean asking them to work......soccer moms work !!!...never.

Drewjambobusby

Pansies! discuss.

Harry Kinnear and Ernie Winchester were enforcing this years ago.

Couldnae get a Daily Record under their feet.

The evidence is pretty damning where the old timers are concerned, the Astle family have a lot of research to back it up. Obviously the heavier balls, playing on with broken necks, cortisone injections and Terry Butcher style bandages didn't help. Certainly moved on from those days. There's still a case for concussion and the long term effects to be looked at though. Players playing on after a heavy head knock happens all the time and can't be doing much good for the long term health.

The manager won't drag one of his better players off because of a clash of heads, the club doctor probably won't for fear of the manager and most players certainly wouldn't want to come off. I think the answer is probably a neutral doctor employed solely to look after the players best interests.

I know they've done quite a bit in American football. Certainly a lot more head knocks there I'd imagine.

To be fair the majority of players of a certain age that are incoherent shambling wrecks is generally down to the amount of bevvy they've tanned in over their lifetimes.

Step forward one 'Champagne' Charles Nicholas Esq.

Oh, sure. And some were just thick as mince anyway. But some are certainly punchy. Alls i'm saying is we don't know enough to discount the view that heading a ball can cause damage. But since we don't know it'd be overkill to implement any ban as there's nothing obvious that says brain damage is directly caused by it.

HawkeyeTheGnu2.0

I know they've done quite a bit in American football. Certainly a lot more head knocks there I'd imagine.

There's been pretty meaty legal action against the NFL over concussion, who knew what and whether the authorities suppressed information over how serious an issue this is/was. There are also some class actions along the same lines against the NHL. It was only a matter of time before people turned their attention to a sport which allows use of the head in normal play.

Some kids are wearing a padded band around their heads just now and it's becomming more common.

The concussion thng realy is a big deal here in NC since 2 schoolboys died about 7 or 8 years ago ( although it was American Football they were playing )

Jambof3tornado

More medical training throughout the game on dealing with concussion. I've seen plenty kids take knocks in games only to come back on too quickly to then puke up!

No need to ban heading the ball.

wasn't all the possible brain injuries suffered by older players believed to be due to the old heavier balls?

:uhoh2: That must be some maneuver.

Typical American overreaction. I know Freddie Glidden and his family, unfortunately Freddie does suffer memory loss and Rosa,his wife, thinks it may well have stemmed from him regularly heading the old style heavy leather ball, especially when it was wet. Modern footballs are much lighter and have padding in the surface so shouldn't cause as many problems

There has been a lot of recent media comment on concussion injuries in Rugby Football.

The issue is players being coerced back on or not full understanding the seriousness of their

injuries. Some of the head clashes seen in games,soccer and on TV over past few years have been horrific

but the players more often than not return to the field. In my opinion a lot of these players must be

concussed. Having been an egg chaser for many years and suffered concussion from being tackled

head first into someone's rear end I cannot see how two solid skulls colliding at pace would be any less

serious.

However you cannot compare American Football with Soccer as being hit by a 150kg opponent, dressed like

he was going into space , helmet first must be a harder shock to the brain.

Gregory House M.D.

The easiest way for FIFA to resolve this is to make it law for all under 16s in the US to wear boxing helmets when playing. The rest of the world, who apparently have no trouble in differentiating a football from a breeze block, brick wall or a condensed four tonnes of diamond nanorod, can then carry on as normal.

:rofl:

On 5-Live right now. TBH they want limited headers for u/17's only. Still think that is unenforceable and a load of p**h.

America. :facepalm:

Full of stupid people, & some good 1's!

Soccer Moms should stick to what they do best - getting diddled by the Milf Hunter

What site is that on? ;-)

Head a football or teach your 9 year old how to fire an Uzi 9mm, Yeah ok!!

Who counts how many headers each player has had in three games?

Will headed goals be disallowed because wee Stevie's already headed it twice this half already?

:vrface:

There is a movement across all of the major American sports to try and reduce potential head injuries. Especially amongst younger players. They've worked out that attracting children into a sport is easier if they don't run the risk of becoming a drooling cabbage (& ribs) after a few years.

This is the same as rugby banning scrums for young schoolchildren. Having enforced three week breaks for players knocked out of games with concussion.

Sometimes it might just be possible for Scottish soccerball to learn from other sports instead of just sneering.

Ironically, banning/limiting heading the ball would lead to more hoofing as there would be no way of defending a long punt. It'd encourage carnage.

And because that would enrage hibs, i'm all for it.

Archived