Get Well Soon Paul Gascoigne (nhc)

Masonic

Unknown user

I wouldn't wish ill health on anyone, but I'm a bit "meh" about this all. Is his situation any more deserving of attention and sympathy than someone who is not famous but suffers from the same condition?

No, but there's no point in telling you or the rest of the board about people I know personally as you've never heard of them.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
J.T.F.Robertson

I was roughly down from where the camera was, hiding in among the England fans. So gutted when it went in, but a wee part of my brain just kept saying, 'that is f###ing brilliant.'

There were about eight of us, completely surrounded and with a row of West Ham bammers right behind us.

Polar opposite of the "good old" Wembley trips from days of yore. Made me realise how they must have felt back then.

Gateshead Jambo

Well some of the shite from many friggin doilems on this site are enough for me to leave and never come back. He's not just an alcoholic, he has many other problems and has a tormented life. He was a genius of a footballer and having met him more than once at kids football he is a gentleman with all the time in the world to discuss his times in Scottish football. Honestly this club has some right morons in their support. He's a human being really struggling. Heartless scum....you're an embarassment

Gateshead Jambo

Some of the comments on this thread are despicable and some people have shown themselves up to be complete morons.

They seem to to think battling alcoholism is just a case of saying no I'll not bother with this drink. Its not like that its a disease and alcohol gets into your system and has the same effect as the most powerful of drugs.

I hope he makes it through this as the alternative is horrific for him.

Most definitely this...

Gateshead Jambo

I wonder where his mucker "Jimmy five bellys" is now ? especially now his paymaster has ended up broken.

Jimmy is still around, don't worry about that

Remember seeing the documentary showing his short time in China. His old man and Five Bellies were there, not looking after him in any sense but scrounging like nobody's business. Suspect he's been screwed by those around him for most of his life. Can never forgive his beating up of Sheryl, but anyone who doesn't have a bit of sympathy for a clearly troubled, fragile and easily led man is pretty heartless.

He is a simple man born with a magical talent which he could not cope with. He is a genuine man, but his demons unfortunately will kill him, despite all his friends and families backing. Sometimes there is nothing any support can do, sadly.

The 'hangers on' tend to kill these people.

Oh Gascoigne, oh brilliant, oh yes

gazza-vs-scotland-o.gif

Pretty much wanted to smash my telly when that went in but still.

Watched that goal in Lauries, Hearts pub in Lauriston place, during Euro 96 There was a, oh No!. Followed by folk complementing the goal, something i can't remember hearing since at a Scottish gane. Sorry to say, but when you see his picture on the front page of a paper, you now think the worst straightaway.

Gene Rousset Wilder

Sorry, I rarely post here, but felt somewhat compelled to.

My brother is a chronic alcoholic and heading the way of Gazza. He has lost his wife, kids, jobs, friends - everything to the bottle. No doubt some folk look at him like he is scum.

He has done some terrible things because of booze, but behind the guy that some folk no doubt think "deserves" what is coming to him is someone so driven by his own guilt at the shame of his actions it drives him further into the never ending cycle of destruction.

Of course we all have a choice when we drink as to if we have another one - the more you do it though the harder that choice becomes. When he was in a spell of rehab I went along and I mind the counsellor saying that of the 50 folk in the room, maybe only 8 would make it. That's the reality.

To suffer alcoholism is a ******* tragedy for the alcoholic and their families, and quite frankly some of comments from certain posters on here are disgusting.

Chad Sexington

When John Robertson's obesity ends in a heart attack or stroke, will kickbackers be giving it, "Feck him, he loved the bacon and the mayonnaise, he had it coming"?

[MODEDIT]

Ok. Has anyone commenting on the thread ever met the guy to be able to judge him?

I've not commented but I have met him when he played for Rangers through mutual friends. Had a few pints and the main impression apart from the fact Five Bellies was a leech was of a guy who was desperate for people to like him, very needy and childlike.

There's been thousands of better players in Scottish football than Gascoigne. He was an above average player at a time when there were no outstanding English talents. At old, dead Rangers he used to run about elbowing defenders in the face any time they tried to tackle him. And got away with it ever time.

I blame Hendry for being a useless dilk for that goal. And Brown for not letting Collins take the penalty and getting us knocked out of Euro 96.

The man celebrated that goal by enacting an alcoholic binge from the warm up tour. Total moron unashamed of his behaviour. It's sad to see but Hell mend him. His fault, he's a grown man with responsibility for his body and his life.

When John Robertson's obesity ends in a heart attack or stroke, will kickbackers be giving it, "Feck him, he loved the bacon and the mayonnaise, he had it coming"?

So has Robertson been in rehab 6 times because of this? How about having people shell out ?1,000's from their own pockets trying desperately to help him? Or tearing his family apart whilst causing them immense trauma and agony seeing him continually deteriorate time and time again? How about fighting or wifebeating?

I must have missed that stage of Robbo's career or life.

Jon%20Stewart%20shaking%20his%20head.gif

Geoff Kilpatrick

Alcoholism, sadly, is always going to be stigmatised due to the fact that most of us consume it and generally control our intake. It makes it easy for people to condemn alcoholics which is wrong.

There's been thousands of better players in Scottish football than Gascoigne. He was an above average player at a time when there were no outstanding English talents.

In a thread filled with facepalms, this one takes the biscuit.

TyphoonJambo

I know a guy with a severely disabled little girl. A few years ago his local pub were having a fund raising quiz night to raise funds for a lifting sling thing for his daughter. Up steps Paul, who was passing through. He asks what it was all about and over the rest of the night he agrees to arrange a golfing fund raiser. A few weeks later he has amassed a group of celebrities, football players, politicians and TV stars. Each one paying 5grand to play, with Sky coverage. Obviously the pub team were blown away. Unfortunately though, one of the football players (for some reason his name was kept secret) didn't turn up as his manager had given them extra training following a heavy defeat, so they were a man short. Gazza got straight on the phone and within half an hour the deputy secretary of state turned up with a cheque and his golf clubs. The game went ahead, the aforementioned player (from what I can guess I think it was Shane Given) turned up to watch, paying his entrance fee in full. The event raised a huge sum and his girls quality of life was improved. She had a form of motor Neuron disease and was horse riding mad. Thanks to Gazza, his efforts and his mates, she could get on a horse and loved it.

For years later, every time he was in the area, he would turn up with another present, sometimes random, often massively generous.

My point in telling this? He wasn't an intrinsically bad guy. He was just a bit of a kid with a huge heart. The British press don't tell these kind of stories but they revel in a celebrities demise. Gazza had talent, he had a heart of gold he just didn't have the brains, maturity or guidance to deal with it all.Blue nose or not and I was at Wembley when he scored THAT goal but I personally like the guy.

There's been thousands of better players in Scottish football than Gascoigne. He was an above average player at a time when there were no outstanding English talents. At old, dead Rangers he used to run about elbowing defenders in the face any time they tried to tackle him. And got away with it ever time.

I blame Hendry for being a useless dilk for that goal. And Brown for not letting Collins take the penalty and getting us knocked out of Euro 96.

The man celebrated that goal by enacting an alcoholic binge from the warm up tour. Total moron unashamed of his behaviour. It's sad to see but Hell mend him. His fault, he's a grown man with responsibility for his body and his life.

A post worthy of my name. Not enough :cornette: for this one

My brother is a chronic alcoholic and heading the way of Gazza. He has lost his wife, kids, jobs, friends - everything to the bottle. No doubt some folk look at him like he is scum.

He has done some terrible things because of booze, but behind the guy that some folk no doubt think "deserves" what is coming to him is someone so driven by his own guilt at the shame of his actions it drives him further into the never ending cycle of destruction.

Of course we all have a choice when we drink as to if we have another one - the more you do it though the harder that choice becomes. When he was in a spell of rehab I went along and I mind the counsellor saying that of the 50 folk in the room, maybe only 8 would make it. That's the reality.

To suffer alcoholism is a ******* tragedy for the alcoholic and their families, and quite frankly some of comments from certain posters on here are disgusting.

Great post

I had a family member suffer from this too.

A nicer and better person you could not meet.

Our whole family suffered from worry about her.

It is a horrible disease.

Gregory House M.D.

57646-abe-Simpson-turn-around-bart-u-qmMg.gif

It's horrible when a member of your family who is an alchoholic goes on a binge, as an other poster pointed out it's a spiral downward as their self esteem goes and they care less for themselfs than others, all you can do sometimes is be there and offer support, I hope Paul gets well, and back to a place where he likes himself again.

I have experience of these circumstances too and was going to let this thread go (while having a bit of a read!) I think what we have to remember is that some people are so naive that they sit and think about their own circumstances and how easy it would be for them to say no. Why wouldn't it be the same for everyone, especially someone who's life depends on it. A lot of people are unable to understand it, which is fine. It's the unwillingness to open up to the possibility it may not be as simple as that, that's sad.

Incidentally, some people replying with 'cornette's and the like on a topic like this, show how seriously a lot of it should be taken (unless we are talking about PG's average-ness, in which case they are suitable!!!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gregory House M.D.

Personally find it weird that people expect us to feel sorry for Gascoigne and alcoholics who behave like him.

If this was Pete Doherty or any other celebrity smack addict beating their wife/girlfriend, pishing countless opportunity's to get clean and other peoples money down the drain, being a bigoted whopper and ruining his families life there'd be a queue the length of the Royal Mile to call them a scumbag.

"Alcoholism has a stigma" :cornette:

Possibly the most pampered to addiction out there.

A terrible affliction that I wouldn't wish on anyone but let's not go down the road of claiming alcoholics are harshly treated.

For every Gascoigne there's a barrow load of alcoholics who are amongst the nicest people you'd wish to meet. Gascoignes an arse.

Chief Wiggum

Hmmmmm. Wholeheartedly disagree with every word.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

siegementality

Its a wonder I am not an alcoholic when I read his horrific tale of childhood, i can sympathise with the death of a friend I was around 10 or 11 when Bruce Middlemas now buried in Auchendinny Cemetry was killed when he got a canter on the back of an Ushers Brewery lorry jumped off and was hit and killed by another vehicle. Another neighbourhood kid Bourne, his dad had a paper shop at corner of Rankeillor Street, was hit by a bus at Bernard Terrace and South Clerk Street and killed. We of course traumatised as we were couldn't wait to get to the scene to see the blood and Gore, before heading back to Preston Street School to finish our game of football.

At 19 the guy in the bed next to mine in the tent in Egypt, Ken Wallace 20, went out from Port Said to Port Fouad with the Battalion Padre so he could conduct services. On the return trip they were ambushed in Port Said and Ken shot and killed. He was buried in Moascar Cemetry on the Tuesday.

The police stories of sights seen are too many and indelicate to relate, what I can say is I have always been a drinker, not because of trauma, only because I liked it and as a young stud heading for the Palais or Plaza or the Cavendish supped a few as confidence builders. I am no stronger than the next man, I hurt just as easy, but I have learned in life that there are no rules or timetables, shit happens when and where it wants. I have dealt with my problems many self made, any stupid things I have done were my own doing and had to accept the consequences. The answer to most however was to face the facts, accept any deficiencies and correct them and get on with my life.

Because of these threads I had a quick look at some of the more recent Gascoine stories, surprisingly enough the guy most accepting of his responsiblities, backsliding, is the man himself. The calls that he should be given help do not jive with the stories opf rehab, trips to the United States to rehab, chances from his wife to straighten out, all it seems rejected by the man himself.

Gazza has mental health issues, he always has done. The alcoholism is part of those mental health issues, an escape and/or coping mechanism. If it wasn't alcohol it would be something else. Gazza's problems are far greater than alcohol. Alcohol is only one of the demons Gazza is fighting.

N Lincs Jambo

I know a guy with a severely disabled little girl. A few years ago his local pub were having a fund raising quiz night to raise funds for a lifting sling thing for his daughter. Up steps Paul, who was passing through. He asks what it was all about and over the rest of the night he agrees to arrange a golfing fund raiser. A few weeks later he has amassed a group of celebrities, football players, politicians and TV stars. Each one paying 5grand to play, with Sky coverage. Obviously the pub team were blown away. Unfortunately though, one of the football players (for some reason his name was kept secret) didn't turn up as his manager had given them extra training following a heavy defeat, so they were a man short. Gazza got straight on the phone and within half an hour the deputy secretary of state turned up with a cheque and his golf clubs. The game went ahead, the aforementioned player (from what I can guess I think it was Shane Given) turned up to watch, paying his entrance fee in full. The event raised a huge sum and his girls quality of life was improved. She had a form of motor Neuron disease and was horse riding mad. Thanks to Gazza, his efforts and his mates, she could get on a horse and loved it.

For years later, every time he was in the area, he would turn up with another present, sometimes random, often massively generous.

My point in telling this? He wasn't an intrinsically bad guy. He was just a bit of a kid with a huge heart. The British press don't tell these kind of stories but they revel in a celebrities demise. Gazza had talent, he had a heart of gold he just didn't have the brains, maturity or guidance to deal with it all.Blue nose or not and I was at Wembley when he scored THAT goal but I personally like the guy.

Great post!

Tiberius Stinkfinger

Really don't see the attraction in a washed up old pisshead. Sure if he wants help he will get it.

Paul Gascoigne's 2nd half performance against Hearts in the League cup final was up there with the best IMO. The guy is not well but can only help himself now given all the help he has had. Not nice seeing anyone in the state tbh

The Shed Floodlight

Hope the guy recovers from his disease, superb footballer and sounds like an all round genuine guy.

Maybe if he had three or four more years playing abroad then he might not have ended up like this as those countries have a different mindset to alcohol. Just an assumption on my part and maybe wrong, but he could've had a more healthy lifestyle abroad than the vices of alcohol in Britain and any hangers on that have helped him on his way to self destruction.

Dr. Bapswent

So is it only bad to see someone with talent self-destruct or is it equally bad when an unknown average person does it too?

So is it only bad to see someone with talent self-destruct or is it equally bad when an unknown average person does it too?

I've just read through this full thread and was about to make the same point.

Part of alcoholism is self inflicted and i'm limited on how much sympathy i'd give them, but it is an illness and not something i'd gloat about.

But the thing i've never understood is the "he's so talented, it's such a shame..." line of thinking.

Many of the same people would probably walk by an alky in the street that looked like gazza and think "waster"

Why does a natural talent all of a sudden make the whole situation more tragic. Yes it's a waste, but surely it's the person who choose to piss that talent, fame and wealth against a wall, thats to blame for that tragic waste.

Many people who find themselves in the position he does now, never had the opportunity to make something better of themselves and get a hell of a lot less sympathy.

Snake Plissken

The several posts mocking this aren't enough, an incredibly desperate attempt to be controversial.

It's not a desperate attempt to be controversial at all. Obesity is a self-inflicted (to the same extent as alcoholism is) (potentially) serious health problem. Lots of people resolve hundreds of times to eat more healthily and never find the will or discipline to do so, with disastrous and predictable effects on their health. People who know perfectly well of the danger of obesity, who would like to lose weight, who have friends and family who would like them to lose weight, whose doctor tells them repeatedly they can expect diabetes, cancer, heart attacks and the rest, yet they don't ever really do anything. These people abound in the Western world.

Ditto for smoking. How many times does a smoker try and fail to give up, on average? How many of them know nothing of the harm it does?

Alcoholism, sadly, is always going to be stigmatised due to the fact that most of us consume it and generally control our intake. It makes it easy for people to condemn alcoholics which is wrong.

concise, to the point, and correct.

I've seen similar in my own family, I wish you posted more often mate because if they were all of this standard the board would be a better place.

Randle P McMurphy
He is a simple man born with a magical talent which he could not cope with. He is a genuine man, but his demons unfortunately will kill him, despite all his friends and families backing. Sometimes there is nothing any support can do, sadly.

The 'hangers on' tend to kill these people.

Its not having the talent anymore that's the problem cus. With football he could manage to cope, without his life is empty, in his head anyway

Dr. Bapswent

Not really fair to hand out abuse to people who aren't experts, don't really understand the condition and don't expect to have anyone take such a serious line about it on a football forum.

When you have gone through an addiction and somehow manage to get out the other side, you take each day, clean, a day at a time. There will be some contributors to this thread who may have themselve similar Alcohol problems who manage to hold down a job, put on a front,, but know they are only one drink away from a relapse. Modern life seems to be centered on "social drinking" it goes so easily with following the football.

That is why i feel sorry for Gazza, bringing a carry out and a fish supper to Raul Mouat and all. Still remember him picking up the Refs red card from the pitch and red carding the ref durring a Hibs game. "George Best without brains" :toff:

Archived