Get Well Soon Paul Gascoigne (nhc)

Masonic

It's a shocking photograph and, as others have alluded too, it feels like a story that has only one ending.

Hope I'm wrong.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dusk_Till_Dawn

It's a shocking photograph and, as others have alluded too, it feels like a story that has only one ending.

Hope I'm wrong.

You're not. There is literally no-one helping him.

chester copperpot

When John Robertson's obesity ends in a heart attack or stroke, will kickbackers be giving it, "Feck him, he loved the bacon and the mayonnaise, he had it coming"?

What an utterly terrible comparison. I can only assume you were looking for a reaction here, as I cannot think of any other reason of trying to draw that comparison.

Strange laddie likes!

punkrockcroc

Agree. It's a shame that some people see mental illness and alcoholism as a choice.

What? Nobody forces the drink down his throat, there's been many people who've tried to help him, a great player in his day whose going to end up like George Best sadly.

Overeating is, for many, a compulsion they can't control. Which results in terrible health outcomes. Same with smoking. Depression is also a serious affliction people often cant control. It's similar territory Gascoigne's in.

Brilliant. A man you'd look to in your hour of need.

Harry does seem a good bloke. I liked his defence of Malky MacKay too.

Waste of space of a man sorry if people think other wise but why should we care if he wants to kill himself he's had chance after chance sick of reading about him

Absolutely this.

Apologies if I do not share your sentiments. He is an alcoholic, a waster and a wife beater who happened to play for Rangers. **** him.

And you're a disgrace son, I pity you.

Pants Shaton

Agree. It's a shame that some people see mental illness and alcoholism as a choice.

Correct.

No one would chose to be where he is now.

RustyRightPeg

Looks like he does more than enough of what he loves

You've already had a thread closed, and you're still digging a big hole. You still not got over that goal he scored against Scotland or something? Get a grip of your life, eejit.

I use to feel sorry for him, then I didn't, now I do again.

He has a horrible addiction and illness, and it is such a shame.

There are also some who should ask questions of themselves. The hangers on, who have disappeared, the ones who has encouraged him to drink, and those, who whilst possibly could not stop him, could have at least made it more difficult for him.

I use to feel sorry for him, then I didn't, now I do again.

He has a horrible addiction and illness, and it is such a shame.

There are also some who should ask questions of themselves. The hangers on, who have disappeared, the ones who has encouraged him to drink, and those, who whilst possibly could not stop him, could have at least made it more difficult for him.

I fail to see what people could do to make it more difficult for him

Im not happy about a fellow kickbacker revelling in Pauls misfortune so i thought id create this thread to show support to one of the best players to have played in Scotland over the last 2 or 3 decades. Hopefully he gets the help he needs and recovers as soon as possible.

What a shame for the wife beating Jakey.

N Lincs Jambo

Recently read Eric Clapton's autobiography. He's been addicted to heroin and alcohol (and in that order). He says the worst thing for an alcoholic is the thought of never being able to drink again. Clapton's been dry for over 20 years now. He finally made a decision to stop and it was only when he finally made that decision that he was able to do so, to get the help he needed and to accept that help, but even now he still takes every day as it comes as he knows he's an alcoholic and always will be.

It was harrowing reading in places. I hope Gascoigne gets to where Clapton was when he made the decision to stop but I seriously doubt it will happen.

When John Robertson's obesity ends in a heart attack or stroke, will kickbackers be giving it, "Feck him, he loved the bacon and the mayonnaise, he had it coming"?

ffs.gif

I fail to see what people could do to make it more difficult for him

I had (well still have) a gambling addiction. My behaviour when in the bookies make that obvious, but only around once or twice, have I been asked 'Are you sure?' when loading the machines in my debit card.

Now I take responsibility, and it is my fault, 100%, but could the staff in the bookies said 'No', you have lost a fortune already? (which stopped me from continuing) They possibly could, as could the people selling Gascoigne the booze do similar, especially given his issues, unlike mine, are well documented.

Albert Tatlock

The only way he is going to survive this is, if he is taken away completely from his current situation. Away from "friends", and family. Rehab for as long as it takes as well as proper psychiatric help at the same time; starting way back to when he saw his best friend killed when he was ten. For a child to have to deal with that on a day to day basis must be horrendous. No wonder he is so ...... up. I am no fan of Gaza, but to see him the way he is, is absolutely shocking.

Albert Tatlock

Also, shame on the prick shopkeepers who continue to sell him booze. Yes, I know he would still get his "fix" anyway, but they know his position and should be ashamed.

I had (well still have) a gambling addiction. My behaviour when in the bookies make that obvious, but only around once or twice, have I been asked 'Are you sure?' when loading the machines in my debit card.

Now I take responsibility, and it is my fault, 100%, but could the staff in the bookies said 'No', you have lost a fortune already? (which stopped me from continuing) They possibly could, as could the people selling Gascoigne the booze do similar, especially given his issues, unlike mine, are well documented.

Sorry bud, yes your quite right what your saying, these people selling him the booze should take a good long hard look at themselves, however I'm sure he would get it somehow if he really wanted it.

ToadKiller Dog

The guy has had mental issues since he was a small child .

The self inflicted accusations are a bit unfair , some mentally ill people just are not able to respond to treatment . It just slows the demise down .

He has kept trying

The drink problem is a symptom of the mental stuff , doesn't excuse the bad stuff he has done like wife beating etc .

Only he himself can sort out his issues I don't think he is capable or strong enough .

Sorry bud, yes your quite right what your saying, these people selling him the booze should take a good long hard look at themselves, however I'm sure he would get it somehow if he really wanted it.

No probs. You could be right. The main culprits, IMO, are the hangers on, who seem to have quickly disappeared.

portobellojambo1

While it may be difficult not to feel sorry for him as it is an addiction, like every addiction there is a choice, a difficult choice no doubt, given the type of addiction, but there is a choice. I have no idea how many times he has been into clinics to stop, and over the course of his lifetime he has certainly had the money to get the treatment he needed, but has always reverted back to the bottle. To me, that is by choice, and when he continues to make that choice it becomes more and more difficult to express sympathy for him. There is no benefit to be gained from continuing to drink, you have to want to stop and if he doesn't he has to live with the consequences, and I suspect there will only be one consequence.

Great player , up there with the best ever to play on Scotland. He seems to creep into the media spotlight every 3-6 months with a new arrest or turn in his illness . Each time I think this is the last time , next time we will hear the worst.

The man has demons, alright he may have messed up an immense amount of opportunities, but some f the abuse I've read from different sources is unbelievable. Sub human scum is the only way I can think about people who wish such an ill fated end to a human being.

His condition is a horrible thing to see in real life and maybe if some people should think about that.

OP is spot on .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its a wonder I am not an alcoholic when I read his horrific tale of childhood, i can sympathise with the death of a friend I was around 10 or 11 when Bruce Middlemas now buried in Auchendinny Cemetry was killed when he got a canter on the back of an Ushers Brewery lorry jumped off and was hit and killed by another vehicle. Another neighbourhood kid Bourne, his dad had a paper shop at corner of Rankeillor Street, was hit by a bus at Bernard Terrace and South Clerk Street and killed. We of course traumatised as we were couldn't wait to get to the scene to see the blood and Gore, before heading back to Preston Street School to finish our game of football.

At 19 the guy in the bed next to mine in the tent in Egypt, Ken Wallace 20, went out from Port Said to Port Fouad with the Battalion Padre so he could conduct services. On the return trip they were ambushed in Port Said and Ken shot and killed. He was buried in Moascar Cemetry on the Tuesday.

The police stories of sights seen are too many and indelicate to relate, what I can say is I have always been a drinker, not because of trauma, only because I liked it and as a young stud heading for the Palais or Plaza or the Cavendish supped a few as confidence builders. I am no stronger than the next man, I hurt just as easy, but I have learned in life that there are no rules or timetables, shit happens when and where it wants. I have dealt with my problems many self made, any stupid things I have done were my own doing and had to accept the consequences. The answer to most however was to face the facts, accept any deficiencies and correct them and get on with my life.

Because of these threads I had a quick look at some of the more recent Gascoine stories, surprisingly enough the guy most accepting of his responsiblities, backsliding, is the man himself. The calls that he should be given help do not jive with the stories opf rehab, trips to the United States to rehab, chances from his wife to straighten out, all it seems rejected by the man himself.

Sorry to hear that Si, hope you get through it.

Great player , up there with the best ever to play on Scotland. He seems to creep into the media spotlight every 3-6 months with a new arrest or turn in his illness . Each time I think this is the last time , next time we will hear the worst.

The man has demons, alright he may have messed up an immense amount of opportunities, but some f the abuse I've read from different sources is unbelievable. Sub human scum is the only way I can think about people who wish such an ill fated end to a human being.

His condition is a horrible thing to see in real life and maybe if some people should think about that.

OP is spot on .

Well I have been well chastised on these threads, but having read them reasonably thoroughly I do not recall anyone wishinh him to die. In fact the consensus fairly universally seems to be that if he doesn't straighten out he will die, that is a whole lot different to wanting him dead. Sub human scum. what a description of anyone because you disagree with their point of view. When in company and someone disagrees with you do you describe them that way in person.

Well I have been well chastised on these threads, but having read them reasonably thoroughly I do not recall anyone wishinh him to die. In fact the consensus fairly universally seems to be that if he doesn't straighten out he will die, that is a whole lot different to wanting him dead. Sub human scum. what a description of anyone because you disagree with their point of view. When in company and someone disagrees with you do you describe them that way in person.

Read it again. I gave not mentioned jkb. Thanks.

Some of the comments on this thread are despicable and some people have shown themselves up to be complete morons.

They seem to to think battling alcoholism is just a case of saying no I'll not bother with this drink. Its not like that its a disease and alcohol gets into your system and has the same effect as the most powerful of drugs.

I hope he makes it through this as the alternative is horrific for him.

Read it again. I gave not mentioned jkb. Thanks.

Took your advice and did, I think the comment fairly universally, and what a description of anyone, would indicate that I was not only referring to JKB. But it has been emotional threads and some of us (me) are getting a bit touchy, so lets not get on a rollercaoster of point making.

While it may be difficult not to feel sorry for him as it is an addiction, like every addiction there is a choice, a difficult choice no doubt, given the type of addiction, but there is a choice. I have no idea how many times he has been into clinics to stop, and over the course of his lifetime he has certainly had the money to get the treatment he needed, but has always reverted back to the bottle. To me, that is by choice, and when he continues to make that choice it becomes more and more difficult to express sympathy for him. There is no benefit to be gained from continuing to drink, you have to want to stop and if he doesn't he has to live with the consequences, and I suspect there will only be one consequence.

That is a large part of the problem though.

An ordinary Joe Soap who had this problem would have lost his job by now as well as having Pancreatitis,liver problems and family break up

Would also have run out of money . PG still has enough money to feed his habit. It seems only death will stop him.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

:cornette:

:cornette:

:facepalm:

Bob !

Has somebody accessed your account ?

Stop digging ffs

Took your advice and did, I think the comment fairly universally, and what a description of anyone, would indicate that I was not only referring to JKB. But it has been emotional threads and some of us (me) are getting a bit touchy, so lets not get on a rollercaoster of point making.

Both have opinions of a very sensitive subject. so yes lets avoid that point making :food-smiley-004: (inappropriate smiley alert)

The undernoted isn't in any way a slight on you or any kind of addiction, but...

I'm fairly certain it's an offence to serve a drunk person both on and off sales. So, if people are giving Gascoigne alcohol whilst he's drunk they are breaking the law.

Could they adopt a similar route in bookies? It'd be difficult. A financial upper level? A number of individual bets placed? I dunno. I suppose the gambler just goes along the road, but would it put off 1 in 10? Maybe. It's far difficult to stop for obvious reasons.

Unknown user

Just because you don't understand mental health issues and addiction doesn't make them any less real.

Addicts do not want a shitty miserable existence dominated by substance abuse, even though they often put on shows off bravado.

If you'd ever watched it happen to someone you love you'd change your tunes

WTF? Stupid comparison. Wee Robbo is a legend and could probably still beat you in a 100m race despite his fuller figure. Gazza defo has mental health issues. Not sure you can put it solely down to alcoholism but it certainly isn't helping helping him. Some twisted people on here. The guy looks on his last legs and people hate him because he played for Rangers. Embarrassing.

When folk boo in a minutes silence, when they boo a national anthem, when they disrespect other events say Hillsborough etc - folk are rightly disgusted. But here we have folk slating a guy who is in a right mess.

If a Get Well Soon card went round your work place - would you agree with anyone writing 'no sympathy you waster' in it, regardless of whether you like the intended recipient or not?

Folk coming on slagging a sick man, what's the point? Very shallow. If you don't like him - no probs. I don't know him and I don't maybe agree with what he has done in parts of his life. But what a joke some folk are for using a 'best wishes' thread to slag the bloke off.

Here's an idea: don't want to wish him well, just don't! It's not complicated to write nowt!

Bob !

Has somebody accessed your account ?

Stop digging ffs

Nah its me O.K. its been a long time but some of the things on this thread just hit the Old Bob right in the knackers.

J.T.F.Robertson

Oh Gascoigne, oh brilliant, oh yes

gazza-vs-scotland-o.gif

Pretty much wanted to smash my telly when that went in but still.

I was up and to the left, behind the goal that day.

Nearly 20 years ago now. :( Sheesh!

So Gascoigne's more to blame because he seems to be mentally ill? I'd have thought the opposite.

Yes, because alcoholism is simply someone thinking "screw your help and support, I'm ignoring you cos I fancy a vodka." If only it was anywhere near as simple as that.

Addictions are not choices. Either is mental illness. I just don't understand why some seem so desperate to be able to say "Aha! SEE! That's all his own fault! I'm allowed to have no sympathy (or empathy) so I won't." Lovely attitude.

I wouldn't wish ill health on anyone, but I'm a bit "meh" about this all. Is his situation any more deserving of attention and sympathy than someone who is not famous but suffers from the same condition?

I was up and to the left, behind the goal that day.

Nearly 20 years ago now. :( Sheesh!

I was roughly down from where the camera was, hiding in among the England fans. So gutted when it went in, but a wee part of my brain just kept saying, 'that is f###ing brilliant.'

Archived