US Open

Rudi Skacel

Starts in a weeks time.

Major news is that Rafa has withdrawn with a wrist injury.

It also affects Murray as he will now be seeded 8th instead of 9th.

Sadly this is the first Grand Slam tournament (outside the French) that I dont think Murray will win,

Looking forward to it anyway.

Murray hasn't beaten a top ten player since he won Wimbledon which is some stat. Obviously he's been injured however it's been a long road. I really hope I'm proved wrong but we may well have seen the best of Andy Murray.

Top 8 seeds

1. Novak Djokovic, Serbia

2. Roger Federer, Switzerland

3. Stanislas Wawrinka, Switzerland

4. David Ferrer, Spain

5. Milos Raonic, Canada

6. Tomas Berdych, Czech Republic

7. Grigor Dimitrov, Bulgaria

8. Andy Murray, Great Britain

Hopefully Murray can be drawn in the same quarter as David Ferrer. He shouldnt have too much problem getting to the quarters.

Wouldnt want him playing Djokovic, Federer (Who beat him at quarters in Aussie Open) or Wawrinka (Who beat him in the quarters last year) before the Semi finals.

I P Knightley

Murray hasn't beaten a top ten player since he won Wimbledon which is some stat. Obviously he's been injured however it's been a long road. I really hope I'm proved wrong but we may well have seen the best of Andy Murray.

It's a bit of an alarming stat but I don't think it signals a demise.

I'm not convinced that the Amelie Mauresmo appointment is right for him; he seems to have a loss of confidence since coming back from the op. the fact that he only recently opened up to say how he'd only just started training with full gusto set alarm bells ringing with me as I was sure that he'd previously told how he was back without a care in the world. In some way, then, I think he needs his Heidi sorted.

Fair play, though. In each of the last Masters1000 events, he was pumpded oot by the eventual winner, noT some no-mark who's gone on to flop at the next round.

He may have lost in the last two masters to eventual winners, but 18 months ago he would never have lost the Tsonga match. He seems to lack confidence to finish the game out when in the lead (same earlier this season when he should have beaten Rafa pre French open).

Under Lendal he seemed to be mentally tougher but has lost that this year.

He can still play shots that are exceptional, however we seem to be back to pre US open champion Murray, where he lost games all the top players would see out.

The next 12 months are a crucial point in his career. He either needs to resolve it, or he will become a foot note at the majors. Someone who won a major, but not got the consistency to really stay at the top of the game for many years....like Del Porto after his US win.

I P Knightley

The next 12 months are a crucial point in his career. He either needs to resolve it, or he will become a foot note at the majors. Someone who won a major, but not got the consistency to really stay at the top of the game for many years....like Del Porto after his US win.

JMDP has had a series of injuries which have knocked him back since 2009.

AM's problem is different. I don't dispute that he has to pull the finger out but, with the right coaching, he ought to be able to remain in the top 4 for another 3-4 years with a handful more slams.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

AM's problem is different. I don't dispute that he has to pull the finger out but, with the right coaching, he ought to be able to remain in the top 4 for another 3-4 years with a handful more slams.

Agreed. His game is still there but he has had a number of problems seeing out games/matches when under a bit pressure.

It is just a confidence thing and a good run at the US Open should sort him out.

Really hope he can find his form again..

Find the tournaments a lot less interesting without having Murray to follow.

I P Knightley

Really hope he can find his form again..

Find the tournaments a lot less interesting without having Murray to follow.

You and a whole load of others.

I'm mates with one of the guys who works on the Sky Sports tennis coverage. Last saw him on Saturday when he was heading in to work on their coverage of Benneteau v Ferrer. He was dreading it as they knew that there would only be a handful of diehards tuning in.

Fair point about JMDP injuries. However he has still won a fair few other tournaments since he won the U.S.

But at slams since he has very rarely competed at the later stages. Murray could be in a similar situation, back from injury not performed to as high a standard pre injury at the majors (french being an exception) and a ranking plummeting which makes it harder as potentially he could play 3 top 4 players to win a major now.

I know everyone reacts differently to returning to injury but Rafa showed by the level he reached when he returned from his injury, so it is possible.

As said I do worry that it is the mental side of Murrays game that has been affected more than his ability or injuries.

Hopefully he proves me wrong next over the next two weeks

Murray's potential route to the final is 1st Haase 2nd Stepanek 3rd Verdasco 4th Tsonga QF Novak SF Wawrinka

4th Round

Djokovic v Isner

Tsonga v Murray

Wawrinka v Robredo

Nishikori v Raonic

Berdych v Gulbis

Cilic v Ferrer

Dimitrov v Gasquet

Fognini v Federer

Quarter Final.

Djokovic v Murray

Wawrinka v Raonic

Berdych v Ferrer

Dimitrov v Federer

rudi must stay

Someone has had a few too many Sunday beers.

We'll see. I think Murray no longer cares about tennis, his press conference, where he said he has to relax more, backs that up IMO.

We'll see. I think Murray no longer cares about tennis, his press conference, where he said he has to relax more, backs that up IMO.

Id be suprised if Murray loses more than 10 games tomorow.

rudi must stay

Id be suprised if Murray loses more than 10 games tomorow.

I've heard of Hasse, he is a decent opponent. Not the sort of draw Murray probably wanted, or is used to. But his form in other tournaments means this is how its going to be from now on

I've heard of Hasse, he is a decent opponent. Not the sort of draw Murray probably wanted, or is used to. But his form in other tournaments means this is how its going to be from now on

Murray being 8th seed has no bearing on what no mark he draws against. He could have drawn him whether he was unseeded or seeded number 1.

rudi must stay

Murray being 8th seed has no bearing on what no mark he draws against. He could have drawn him whether he was unseeded or seeded number 1.

A former no 33 in the world, thats pretty good. Not somebody 300th who can't serve, like he used to be drawn against

A former no 33 in the world, thats pretty good. Not somebody 300th who can't serve, like he used to be drawn against

If you're seeded, you play an unseeded player. Makes no difference if you're seed 1 or seed 32.

Also, his form in grand slams this year (one semi final, two quarterfinals) shows nothing to suggest he will lose this match. Yes, it's poor by his standards but he's still miles ahead of unseeded players.

key word being former.

Also If Murray was drawn against the current number 33 in the world I would still be suprised if he lost more than 10 games against him.

rudi must stay

key word being former.

Also If Murray was drawn against the current number 33 in the world I would still be suprised if he lost more than 10 games against him.

I think you're forgetting that his new coach is terrible

Oh if she is that bad then why dont you play him and see how you get on. you dont lose whatever talent you have just because of your coach. Especially at Murrays level. She will be trying minor tweaks which is the same thing that Lendl done.

rudi must stay

Oh if she is that bad then why dont you play him and see how you get on. you dont lose whatever talent you have just because of your coach. Especially at Murrays level. She will be trying minor tweaks which is the same thing that Lendl done.

Im playing alot of tennis just now, but he'd still beat me. Shes letting him do whatever he likes IMO, Lendl never did that. He was very much in charge. I think he's wasting his time sticking with her

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Murray said recently that he's been back training at 100% recently for the first time since his back op. I'm not sure how training at 100% equates to giving up.

Many of the experts have been saying for years that Murray needs to relax a bit more on court. Hopefully with his head in the right place he'll gave a good run.

I'm not sure how anyone can know that Murray is just doing what he wants, unlike when he was with Lendl.

Still have faith he can turn this season around so took the 8/1 on him.

He can make the quarter finals and then Novak awaits but he is not at the top of his game lately so Murray has a chance and as a former winner he has the track record at the US Open as well.

grantaitchie8

Have to say, that's probably the toughest draw Murray could've got. Tsonga won in Toronto the other week, so was probably the worst possible draw in the last 16, Djokovic in the quarters the toughest too. If he plays well he should make it past Tsonga, Novak on the other hand is completely different, he'll be difficult to beat over the 2 weeks.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Have to say, that's probably the toughest draw Murray could've got. Tsonga won in Toronto the other week, so was probably the worst possible draw in the last 16, Djokovic in the quarters the toughest too. If he plays well he should make it past Tsonga, Novak on the other hand is completely different, he'll be difficult to beat over the 2 weeks.

I always feel that Murray will beat Tsonga in a best of 5 set match. Over 3 sets Tsonga is much more dangerous. Just my take on it.

Murray on now.

Stormed into a 4-0 lead in the first and ended up hanging on a bit to see the set out 6-3.

He just got broken in the second but has broken back and it's on serve at 2-3.

Far from comfortable at the moment..

Gavsy Van Gaverson

2 sets up now. Definitely not at his best but to say he is a shadow of his former self is a bit of an exaggeration.

It is all confidence at the moment. He is still striking the ball very well in rallies but is throwing in to many errors. His serve is a bit ropey though.

Nucky Thompson

Murray is a shadow of his former self. I don't think he'll win another tournament and I'm not talking about just Slams

Has Murray ever lost after being 2 sets up?

I asked this when he looked like doing this against Monfils at the French...

He has, against Nalbandian during his first Wimbledon.

Think Murray was 2-0 up against Nalbandian but lost at Wimbledon 2005. Cant think of anymore. Looks injured here.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Right enough. I remember the Nalbandian match.

Murray breaking then getting broken again :facepalm:

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Injured and now serving for the match. He never seems to have any easy matches in slams.

Archived