Scottish footballs double standards

david mcgee

david mcgee

The entire Rangers management team turn up at Celtic Park to pay their respects to Tommy Burns, very noble and to be applauded.

Does this prove the institution of Glasgow Rangers is caring?

I would be more prepared to believe it if the same people had visited the policeman who their supporters had tried to kill and offered their apologies.

I have yet to hear the word sorry from these caring people.

Poinient because Tommy would have taken the Scotland job and been payed nothing.

Unlike Mr Smith and Mr McLeish who took the gold before Country.

Poor Tommy wasnt good enough for the Scotland job and the "Celtic family" got him the sack, the same people now cry " real tears".

Tommy Burns was not my idol, he was actually one of those players i loved to hate.

That without doubt means he was a great player, a player who worshipped his club and always gave his all.

Just the sort of player every club needs.

I never met Tommy, i have no doubts he was a quality bloke and a brilliant family man.

I am sad for his family and it seems unjust that he was taken away at such a young age.

The "caring" institution that is Scottish football will pay their respects with a minutes applause.

Meanwhile some 70,000 and rising have died in Burma and another 50,000 plus have perished in the China earthquake, many children amongst them.

Will we have a moments silence for them?

very good points

BUT

as awful the tragedies in burma & china have been, they have nothing to do with football, so a minutes silence would be, in my opinion, misplaced, and not appropriate

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
very good points

BUT

as awful the tragedies in burma & china have been, they have nothing to do with football, so a minutes silence would be, in my opinion, misplaced, and not appropriate

That's how I see it as well.

It's terrible but nothing whatsoever to do with football.

Just like the Pope. :cool:

david mcgee
very good points

BUT

Your right, one person dies with a football connection far surpases 120,000 plus that couldnt afford a football.

very good points

BUT

Its a worldwide tragedy, deserves a minutes silence IMO.

The pope on the other hand was an old man dying of whom most of the world have no feelings towards and was not deserving of a silence, especially not a week or so after he popped his clogs.

The Doctor

You can have a minutes silence for the victims of these kind of tragedies any time you like. You can pray for the survivors, send out good thoughts, put your hand in your pocket, whatever you like.

It doesn't have to be something that thousands of football fans should do together, it doesn't really make sense to imo. Surely something you do, of your own volition has more meaning and power than something you are just a small part of whether it means anything to you or not.

Let's save minutes silences at matches for football related people, from our own club, or in certain circumstances (i.e. Phil O'Donnell) others.

david mcgee
You can have a minutes silence for the victims of these kind of tragedies any time you like. You can pray for the survivors, send out good thoughts, put your hand in your pocket, whatever you like.

It doesn't have to be something that thousands of football fans should do together, it doesn't really make sense to imo. Surely something you do, of your own volition has more meaning and power than something you are just a small part of whether it means anything to you or not.

Let's save minutes silences at matches for football related people, from our own club, or in certain circumstances (i.e. Phil O'Donnell) others.

If , in this technological age, somebody was videoing a school playground full of kids playing football when the earthquake struck and we saw the perished, maimed and suffering with a football bobbling through the cracks of the playground the football community could pay tribute to these people.

No football in sight?

No tribute from us?

Nowt to do with us?

Your right, one person dies with a football connection far surpases 120,000 plus that couldnt afford a football.

that is not what i said, nor is it what i implied so i'd be grateful if you didn't try and twist what i said

the burmese & chinese deaths are dreadful, and you'd have to be a pretty heartless sod, not to feel pain & anguish over them, but they have nothing to do with football, therefore a minutes silence would not be observed in the proper & dignified way they would deserve.

therefore i think its inappropriate to observe a silence for them at a football match.

tommy burns, love or loath the man, was involved with scottish football so if the clubs that he played for wish to observe a silence for him, its understandable.

david mcgee
that is not what i said, nor is it what i implied so i'd be grateful if you didn't try and twist what i said

the burmese & chinese deaths are dreadful, and you'd have to be a pretty heartless sod, not to feel pain & anguish over them, but they have nothing to do with football, therefore a minutes silence would not be observed in the proper & dignified way they would deserve.

therefore i think its inappropriate to observe a silence for them at a football match.

tommy burns, love or loath the man, was involved with scottish football so if the clubs that he played for wish to observe a silence for him, its understandable.

If you think a minutes silence would not be observed in a proper and dignified manner, i will beg to differ.

Archived