Train drivers - overpaid at ?30k?

blairdin

I used to think so. Not now.

Coming into Edinburgh to visit the 'rents on the 12:25 from Falkirk Grahamston. My usual Sunday journey. Train was pretty quiet when I got on, sat in the front carriage on the left right behind the driver cab. Got busier after Falkirk, Polmont and Lithgi.

All turned very unusual though. Already slowing for Edinburgh Park station, just before the bypass tunnel, the driver sounded the horn hit the brakes like I'd never experienced before on a train. All of us in the front section of the front coach heard him scream the eff word in a very high pitched voice (I had my iPod on so it was loud).

Train stopped just short of the station - then carried on slowly into the station, driver staggered out the cab and promptly collapsed on the platform in full view of me and the rest of us in the front section.

Few of us ran of the train to help him. Poor sod was out of it - shaking, pulse sky high, grey, couldn't breathe, a real mess, wasn't making much sense. Just held his hand till proper help arrived.

Turned out he was in shock, having very narrowly missed a group of kids running around on the track and graffiti-ing the wall inside the tunnel.

The driver left with paramedics. Dunno what that'll mean for his career.

The kids, suffice to say, had long since scarpered. Little *******s.

Anyway, I know there's a few railwaymen post here, I'd be interested to hear how the driver is after a check up.

jamboinglasgow

well done to the driver for averting a tragedy.

As for the kids, why are there so many stupid idiots like that who think they have to spray paint everything. They probably wont think how much mental anguish he has been put through and that kind of thing may force him to quit as he knows how close he came to killing a couple of kids.

This maybe a bit off-topic but I do not like graffeti. I dont mind great looking pictures that some people put up like Banksey or murals done on walls. But its the we signature they do. It looks ugly, is pointless and ends up making alot of buildings look not as attractive.

hughesie27

So this one inncident makes up for every other train driver?

What about taxi drivers? Bus drivers? Pilots?(most safe method of travel)

I'm not saying they are over or under paid but I don't see why this incident justifies any salary.

The Doctor

If you're married with kids and a mortagage 30K doesn't go very far, it's a reasonable wage, but that's all.

hughesie27

If your wife also works then I'd say it was a pretty tidy amount.

If you're married with kids and a mortagage 30K doesn't go very far, it's a reasonable wage, but that's all.

Enough to stop you going off the rails :rolleyes:

Enough to stop you going off the rails :rolleyes:

I'd be worried that I wouldn't be able to keep track of my spending.....

I don't think they're overpaid on their own, but in relation to Police and Fire they most certainly are.

Now, should train drivers be paid less? I don't think so.

Should emergency workers be paid more? Definitely.

Legend Claws
If your wife also works then I'd say it was a pretty tidy amount.

No offense mate but you hardly have the experience to back that up with!

Legend Claws

I agree that they are not overpaid but if you consider a Police officer starts on 18k then you would have to argue (as was stated earlier) that it needs to be consistent!

my brother is in Basra. he's not getting paid 30k as a serving soldier. and has more to deal with than any train driver. they should swap salaries

I agree that they are not overpaid but if you consider a Police officer starts on 18k then you would have to argue (as was stated earlier) that it needs to be consistent!

Arent these train drivers working for private companies?

hughesie27
No offense mate but you hardly have the experience to back that up with!

Speaking from knowleadge that most of my mates parents have to live on around 40K between them with family and a mortgage, they seem to have a good life. Get to go on at least 2 holidays a year.

Legend Claws

Sorry mate jumped the gun a wee bit there.

Are they debt free outside of the MGT? People can easily appear to be comfortable but infact are drowning in debt but still go on holidays etc. Good on them if they are managing it well. 40k a year with a mortgage, no doubt at least one car and two kids is not a lot to live comfortably on these days.

People will spend what they earn regardless of how much that is. If you paid train drivers 35k a year then give it 12 months and they will be saying how it isn't enough because they will bought a better car etc. I earn good money but still don't seem to have a lot of expendible cash, mind you I am married with two kids.

30k a year is plenty for being a train driver.

Never understood why people go into a profession knowing it is crap with little prospects and then complain that they don't make enough money. Pick a job where there is an earning potential that you are happy with.

Legend Claws
Arent these train drivers working for private companies?

Very true but you can see the point no?

hughesie27
Sorry mate jumped the gun a wee bit there.

Are they debt free outside of the MGT? People can easily appear to be comfortable but infact are drowning in debt but still go on holidays etc. Good on them if they are managing it well. 40k a year with a mortgage, no doubt at least one car and two kids is not a lot to live comfortably on these days.

I'm not certain if they are debt free or not but as said with a couple (at least) kids their lives seem to be pretty enjoyable.

It's true ?30k does seem a lot of money, but if you think these train drivers probably do deal with a lot of stress and a **** up could result in the death of many people.

Nurses, Fireman, Soldiers and Policeman go through stress as well and a lot of them will put their lives in danger on a regular basis.

The latter do deserve an increase in their current salary. I wouldn't however say that train drivers should earn less. It's just how capitalism works I'm afraid. Supply and demand. A lot of teachers complain about their salary, granted it is relatively low but there is still teachers falling over each other for jobs.

I'm not certain if they are debt free or not but as said with a couple (at least) kids their lives seem to be pretty enjoyable.

Yeah, but they could still have a significant amount of their income going out each month. They may have no nest-egg, or a pension. You don't know.

Archived