Medical Advice Needed

Makween

Okay, I know that the stock answer to this type of thread tends to be "see a doctor", but I'm asking because I'm not sure if I'd be wasting a doctor's time by going to ask about this.

Basically, I broke my right fibula six weeks ago yesterday, as some of you probably already know. I've been off of the crutches for three weeks (looking back, I probably rushed things a bit as the crutches were doing my box in) and can now walk without any problem. I still can't run, though, because it hurts too much. I like to run quite a lot, so this is really doing my head in - I was trying a bit of light jogging on Thursday night, and seemed to be doing fine, but then on Friday I ran over the road quite quickly (I could've probably walked over, but I'm sort of ****ing it with crossing the road at the moment) and seemed to jar something, I now can't run again.

Is this normal, or should I see a doctor?

Lady jambo

Considering you rushed things, seems pretty normal to me..

just take it easy

:)

Rawrrrrrrr
Okay, I know that the stock answer to this type of thread tends to be "see a doctor", but I'm asking because I'm not sure if I'd be wasting a doctor's time by going to ask about this.

Basically, I broke my right fibula six weeks ago yesterday, as some of you probably already know. I've been off of the crutches for three weeks (looking back, I probably rushed things a bit as the crutches were doing my box in) and can now walk without any problem. I still can't run, though, because it hurts too much. I like to run quite a lot, so this is really doing my head in - I was trying a bit of light jogging on Thursday night, and seemed to be doing fine, but then on Friday I ran over the road quite quickly (I could've probably walked over, but I'm sort of ****ing it with crossing the road at the moment) and seemed to jar something, I now can't run again.

I wouldnt worry about it yet

I broke my leg and damaged my knee quite badly about 18 months ago and have since had surgery on it

Like you its still agony to run on etc, most of the time I can actually do it, but occasionally I will overdo it and jar it and it swells up etc, it normally goes down and back to normal within a few days occasionally slightly longer so I would just be patient

If its still the same in 7-10 days then you would probably be best seeking a doctors opinion, but unless you fancy a trip to the ERI for them to do nothing I wouldnt bother

Tom Heaney

Mak, I think in fairness you answered your own question in yer 1st paragraph. Never mess with your own health mate and dont think you are wasting a Dr's time. They do get paid ;)

Mak, I think in fairness you answered your own question in yer 1st paragraph. Never mess with your own health mate and dont think you are wasting a Dr's time. They do get paid ;)

Nonsense Tom. Kickback is a far better resource in times of need like this :)

Did the doctor/nurse at the time give you a rough time plan to follow in terms of when you should be able to things again?

Its probably just a case of you're trying to do too much too soon on it so you might have gone slightly backwards in the recovery my running across the road and jarring it.

I wouldn't go into A&E about it. If anything pop along and see your GP. There are a lot of people that go & visit doctors for a lot less than that - if you're genuinely concerned about it, it won't do any harm to go. And as somebody said, doctors get paid for a reason, may as well use them when you need them!

If you don't want to go & see a doctor then I would maybe suggest taking it a bit easier. I'm not certain, but I would think that 6 weeks is probably a bit soon to be back running on it.

Did the doctor/nurse at the time give you a rough time plan to follow in terms of when you should be able to things again?

Its probably just a case of you're trying to do too much too soon on it so you might have gone slightly backwards in the recovery my running across the road and jarring it.

I wouldn't go into A&E about it. If anything pop along and see your GP. There are a lot of people that go & visit doctors for a lot less than that - if you're genuinely concerned about it, it won't do any harm to go. And as somebody said, doctors get paid for a reason, may as well use them when you need them!

If you don't want to go & see a doctor then I would maybe suggest taking it a bit easier. I'm not certain, but I would think that 6 weeks is probably a bit soon to be back running on it.

The fracture clinic at the hospital were really terrible in terms of helping me (although A&E were brilliant) - all that they'd say was to ask my GP about more or less everything I asked them about.

I went to see my GP and she signed me off work for two weeks, but gave me what I think was either 4 or 5 weeks' supply of Ibuprofen for the swelling. Cheers for the advice, if I'm not feeling any better with it by next week I'll probably go in and see my GP again.

Rawrrrrrrr

The fracture clinic at the hospital were really terrible in terms of helping me (although A&E were brilliant) - all that they'd say was to ask my GP about more or less everything I asked them about.

I went to see my GP and she signed me off work for two weeks, but gave me what I think was either 4 or 5 weeks' supply of Ibuprofen for the swelling. Cheers for the advice, if I'm not feeling any better with it by next week I'll probably go in and see my GP again.

Did you not get any physio or decent painkillers?

That sounds pretty awful tbh

cosanostra
Did you not get any physio or decent painkillers?

That sounds pretty awful tbh

It would be unlikely that he would need physio for a Fibula fracture.

If there's one thing the NHS are good at its referring you to somebody else...'I don't know the answer, go and see this doctor'.

Although in saying that you would really expect a fracture clinic to know what to do when you fracture your leg. Worrying :confused:

Rawrrrrrrr
It would be unlikely that he would need physio for a Fibula fracture.

quite surprised at that

would have expected everyone to get at least 1 appointment for that sort of injury

Not convinced the fracture clinic have been that great to me either. Broke my collar bone around 8 weeks ago now and it's still totally out of position and they just keep saying give it more time, when originally they said it should be healed in 6 weeks!

The pain is going away but I'm just not happy at the way its set, its still sticking out horribly.

cosanostra
Not convinced the fracture clinic have been that great to me either. Broke my collar bone around 8 weeks ago now and it's still totally out of position and they just keep saying give it more time, when originally they said it should be healed in 6 weeks!

The pain is going away but I'm just not happy at the way its set, its still sticking out horribly.

Clavicle fractures are a funny one. They heal in some wonky positions, it's unlikely to improve but the fact that it looks a bit odd should not impact your daily life or mobility. They don't usually need treatment or surgery, they just heal over time.

I broke my clavicle years ago and it's now got 2 large, boney lumps that were not there before.

There are a lot of people that go & visit doctors for a lot less than that

Too true. The oldies that inhabit the area surrounding Therapist Towers use the GP's surgery as a social club.

Clavicle fractures are a funny one. They heal in some wonky positions, it's unlikely to improve but the fact that it looks a bit odd should not impact your daily life or mobility. They don't usually need treatment or surgery, they just heal over time.

I broke my clavicle years ago and it's now got 2 large, boney lumps that were not there before.

Sounds about right.

I should be happy the pain is going away really, just don't like the fact I have big jaggy bit of bone pointing up the way!

cosanostra
Sounds about right.

I should be happy the pain is going away really, just don't like the fact I have big jaggy bit of bone pointing up the way!

Mate, that's never going to go away.

I have one just like it.

Walter Payton
Sounds about right.

Just get a massive big steel file, and file it down yourself. That's what Irvine Jambo would have done.

Rawrrrrrrr
Mate, that's never going to go away.

I have one just like it.

I feel quite lucky as I done mine in 2 places when I was 14 and I dont have any sort of bump :)

cosanostra
I feel quite lucky as I done mine in 2 places when I was 14 and I dont have any sort of bump :)

Guess you are just lucky the way the bone settled.

The Old Tolbooth

I couldn't help but laugh at that bit mate, sorry!

It reminded me of the day after it happened when I was having a few pints in the Civil Service Club in Rosyth, I was speaking to a guy I've got to know there who told me his sons wifes brother was run down on Gorgie Road near Robbo's, and I said to him, Makween?

He looked shocked and said, how the fek do you know that? lol!

Was quite a funny moment and shows how small a world it is.

Anyway, I'm crap at medical advice and can't help you with your problem I'm afraid, but thought I would share that anyway. :)

I couldn't help but laugh at that bit mate, sorry!

It reminded me of the day after it happened when I was having a few pints in the Civil Service Club in Rosyth, I was speaking to a guy I've got to know there who told me his sons wifes brother was run down on Gorgie Road near Robbo's, and I said to him, Makween?

He looked shocked and said, how the fek do you know that? lol!

Was quite a funny moment and shows how small a world it is.

Anyway, I'm crap at medical advice and can't help you with your problem I'm afraid, but thought I would share that anyway. :)

That is actually quite a story :eek: Small world.

The Old Tolbooth
That is actually quite a story :eek: Small world.

Tell me about it!

Nice fella John tho :)

I P Knightley

Echoes my experience from a few years back. They put in the plate and packed me out the door. Hardly any advice on physio; no follow up appointments; no investigation or consideration of other problems. Busted my ankle playing rugby with a nasty twist - I went through 270 degrees while my foot stayed still - ended up with more trouble from my knee than from the fracture. I'd told them the knee was aching at the time but that got ignored.

Tell me about it!

Nice fella John tho :)

Hey, I just noticed this...

That's my auld man.

Miniscule planet.

Next time you see him in that boozer tell him to "get ****in hame" - from ma maw.

The Old Tolbooth

That's my auld man.

Miniscule planet.

Next time you see him in that boozer tell him to "get ****in hame" - from ma maw.

Heh heh, will do mate!!!

Jesus, this world just keeps getting smaller eh, I mean, what are the chances?

First met him in Corals (hope that doesn't drop him in it) :D

Walter Payton

That's my auld man.

Miniscule planet.

So you're Makween's brother in law? You kept that quiet...

Rawrrrrrrr

The NHS seem to be getting a bit of a pounding so feel I should defend them to a degree

As someone who has been going through orthopaedics/physio for 18 months now my experience has been pretty good

My only criticism is the foreign cover docs who are a waste of space who refuse to diagnose and just fob you off until you see your own consultant again - they twice let me leave a review without diagnosing knee ligament damage as it "was best i waited to see my own doc"

The physios have been brillant - I have been going approx 3 times a week for 12 months as were most of the medical staff with the exception of the foreign doctors who are just incompetent imo

The Old Tolbooth
The NHS seem to be getting a bit of a pounding so feel I should defend them to a degree

As someone who has been going through orthopaedics/physio for 18 months now my experience has been pretty good

My only criticism is the foreign cover docs who are a waste of space who refuse to diagnose and just fob you off until you see your own consultant again - they twice let me leave a review without diagnosing knee ligament damage as it "was best i waited to see my own doc"

The physios have been brillant - I have been going approx 3 times a week for 12 months as were most of the medical staff with the exception of the foreign doctors who are just incompetent imo

Are you related to Makween too? :wacko:

Archived