Police on the radio

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

Showing may age here but does anyone else remember being able to hear the police radios on your own home radio. You were able to hear the shouts coming through and what jobs the dibble were being sent to. Sounds a bit sad I know but used to be a bit of a laugh.

I take it with better technology thats a thing of the past? Pity because its clearly kicked off somewhere down my way and being a nosey barsteward I wanted to know what the score was

The Old Tolbooth

I remember doing that mate, we used to listen to what was all happening in Galashiels as regards crime call outs and stuff, then used to try and head round to see folk getting lifted etc, we were only about 14 or 15 at the time.

The Doctor

You used to be able to pick them up around 102 on FM I think. Pretty sure it was also illegal, you'd get cabs and pizza delivery guys too, but it was not as exciting.

I had girlfriend who could pick up the Space Shuttle on her coil...

I had girlfriend who could pick up the Space Shuttle on her coil...

Jaysus, she must have worked out quite a lot. :eek:

Commander Harris

uesd to be able to pick up phone calls on my radio, not that I would listen.

Drew Busby !
Showing may age here but does anyone else remember being able to hear the police radios on your own home radio. You were able to hear the shouts coming through and what jobs the dibble were being sent to. Sounds a bit sad I know but used to be a bit of a laugh.

I take it with better technology thats a thing of the past? Pity because its clearly kicked off somewhere down my way and being a nosey barsteward I wanted to know what the score was

When I was still growing up in the 1970's (in the days when all 3 TV channels were off the air by 12:30AM or so) we'd often spend some time on the bog-standard domestic VHF radio catching all the local police action.

Frequencies are all different now of course but a bog-standard scanner will still catch most of the local police activity. Anything tasty though goes through encrypted channels.

you won't pick up any police channels now since the introduction of new technology three years ago

you won't pick up any police channels now since the introduction of new technology three years ago

Roger............out...........

Gosh i remember listen to the police on the radio when i was a kid.

The one time my dad came down stairs and said the police where on the way round cos they had picked up we were listening..

I burst into tears there and then:rolleyes: i was young

Lady jambo

we all used to have the police scaners... made weekends rather interesting although my mum and grandmother could always tell when i was in trouble ..... doh!!!!

I have sketchy memories of putting the radio to LW and going to the ends of the dial and picking up some cool stuff!

Only a Game

yeh, the new technology and the fact that there's nay feckin policemen available to speak on them ! ;)

i remember my nan used to listen all the time, but also my radio mike used to pickup really random stuff while it was switched off, but still plugged into my amp, like pizza deliveries, odd police jobs & cab bookings

I have sketchy memories of putting the radio to LW and going to the ends of the dial and picking up some cool stuff!

Roxanne,You don't have to put on the red light:band2:

I sometimes used to listen on a Saturday night when I was a kid.

There was ALWAYS a shout for assistance at the Captain's Cabin as it was going off massively. I used to think it had to be the most mental pub in the world.

Better call Saul
Roger............out...........

Breaker Breaker 1-9 ..."we have a got a bear in the air"

My granny got me this big fancy radio one time. Like a normal walkie talkie but about three times the size. I could get all sorts of cool stuff on that. Even stuff like pilots coming into land and boats comms. Was really cool.

Also had a faulty mobile which would pick up others peoples calls. Listened into some cool stuff whilst trying to talk to my mates. Just kinda faint in the background. Wonder if by the same token people could hear me talking dirty to my misses :o

I can remember hearing the Police and that but your post is resonating with me.

I would listen to the NFL games on a Sunday night via Radio Free Europe, or whatever the US Propoganda station was, but I would also listen to Radio Moscow. The Cold War threw up so strange media!

I feel I have to state that I was about 14 at the time....:o

When I lived in Gorgie I used to be able to hear air traffic control when the radio was on!

I can pick up the Air traffic control, it's just slightly off Forth one I think. It's pretty boring.

I also seem to be able to pick up a lot of French stations.

Jambojohnnyboy

Heard them on the radio, heard them walking on the moon, and once got a message in a bottle.

If you got too near the radio the reception would go, so my advice would be, don't stand so, don't stand so, don't stand so close to.........I'll get my coat!:P

Jaysus, she must have worked out quite a lot. :eek:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jamie_the_Jambo

I remember listening one night and heard that there was a robbery in progress at my work.

I listened for hours afterwards but heard nothing about it again. Til monday morning that is.

Jamie

Miller Jambo 60
I sometimes used to listen on a Saturday night when I was a kid.

There was ALWAYS a shout for assistance at the Captain's Cabin as it was going off massively. I used to think it had to be the most mental pub in the world.

Asking for shooters

Prince Buaben

I was sitting on the 31 listening to Forth 1.. then suddenly the radio went off and all i could hear was the bus driver speaking to the depot that the dash wasnt working.. then she stopped and the the radio came back on.. it was weird..

John Findlay

The things we used to hear in the Mains Communications Offices onboard Hms Intrepid, Fife and Andromeda, well I would have to kill you all if I spilled the beans.

You will note that all the documentary programmes you see about the Royal Navy and Warships. The one place the cameras will never get into is the MCO.

John

Sawdust Caesar

I remember one of them as well, must have been some fight cos they had cars responding from the foot of Leith Walk and I remember thinking they wont get there on time. I think it made the Evening News that fight.

I used to work in Fine Fare/Gateway at the top of Easter Rd and one night I'm listening to the police band and there was a call to my work as someone had tanned the windows in and nicked some booze. Happened at about 3am and the boss had to come out and stay in the shop until the windows were boarded up, when I told him I had heard what happened on the radio he went mental and said I should have made my way to the shop, aye right. He was a hibby so there was no chance of me doing that, especially as he rarely gave me a Saturday off.

Archived