UK City Break for 40th

muldoon74

Looking for a city break in UK for my 40th next month.

Needs to be quite lively during the day and not too expensive.

Not into clubbing but Like a pub ;) and a bit of history etc so decent museums and architecture etc a bonus.

Don't like sh**holes either.

Not Newcastle, Manchester or Birmingham though.

Have thought about London but getting there is a tad expensive (if someone knows how to get cheap train tickets please advise as I can never seem to get the deals you hear about!)

Anyone got any thoughts on Liverpool? [Wifes just shouted across the room as she's on the tablet..]

So it's over to you JKB globetrotters,...

York?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Decent shout. Liverpool is superb as well though, some decent museums, not too expensive, plenty of boozers.....

Another shout for York, lots of history, great pubs, nice restaurants, train for approx ?40 return

We stayed here http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186346-d3437842-Reviews-Hampton_by_Hilton_York-York_North_Yorkshire_England.html'>http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186346-d3437842-Reviews-Hampton_by_Hilton_York-York_North_Yorkshire_England.html about 5 min walk from train station, good hotel.

Look here for cheap rail tickets, http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186346-d3437842-Reviews-Hampton_by_Hilton_York-York_North_Yorkshire_England.html

Newquay, bath? Can't comment on either but heard positive things. Belfast?

All of those are pretty expensive to get to.

Bridge of Djoum

:hibsfud:

just saw you said not Manchester.

I've got my coat.

York's a good shout and relatively cheap on the train if you book far enough in advance. Bristol's decent but likely to be more expensive to get to.

York's a good shout and relatively cheap on the train if you book far enough in advance. Bristol's decent but likely to be more expensive to get to.

Good suggestions so far guys thanks..

tablet will need recharged with all the hotel searching I'm going to be doing.. :)

Belfast is intriguing.. I'm just a bit concerned about potential bother there though as I';ve heard it can get a bit hairy even nowadays..

Belfast.

Outstanding place to go.

Was just about to post this - was there in March for a few days, first time in about 10 years. What a change in the place - thoroughly enjoyed it and really friendly people too.

Carl Fredrickson

Another vote for York

We had 3 days there last month and had a fab time

Loads of meal deals too on Groupon if you are doing it on a budget

Lots to see and do:

The Jorvik Centre - pay once and get entry for a year

The Castle Museum - pay once and get entry for a year - this also includes entry to the York museum

The castle walls make for an interesting walk

Boat trips on the Ouse

Open top bus tours that your ticket is valid for 24 hours

Train museum (free entry)

Lots of pubs and restaurants

The Minster - amazing architecture

Tour walks - either historical or "ghost walks"

Whenever we have been the city centre has always been vibrant with live entertainment

It is our city of choice for getaways and it is only a couple of hours by train. The city is small enough that you can walk round it no problem with no need for public transport

tablet will need recharged with all the hotel searching I'm going to be doing.. :)

Belfast is intriguing.. I'm just a bit concerned about potential bother there though as I';ve heard it can get a bit hairy even nowadays..

Nope, none at all. City Centre is absolutely fine. Common sense re political discussion in bars etc - same as in Scotland.

Was just about to post this - was there in March for a few days, first time in about 10 years. What a change in the place - thoroughly enjoyed it and really friendly people too.

We went last year for the tournament.

Very friendly and the pubs were all great. Not a hint of bother.

We stayed in a house in the city centre. It was superb. I'll try and find the details for it.

Another vote for York

We had 3 days there last month and had a fab time

Loads of meal deals too on Groupon if you are doing it on a budget

Lots to see and do:

The Jorvik Centre - pay once and get entry for a year

The Castle Museum - pay once and get entry for a year - this also includes entry to the York museum

The castle walls make for an interesting walk

Boat trips on the Ouse

Open top bus tours that your ticket is valid for 24 hours

Train museum (free entry)

Lots of pubs and restaurants

The Minster - amazing architecture

Tour walks - either historical or "ghost walks"

Whenever we have been the city centre has always been vibrant with live entertainment

It is our city of choice for getaways and it is only a couple of hours by train. The city is small enough that you can walk round it no problem with no need for public transport

Dungeons are good too.

Carl Fredrickson

Dungeons are good too.

Forgot about them! Havent been since our since arrived on the scene but when we did go, I was picked from the crowd to be put on trial and the Mrs was mortified.

Also the Chocolate Story is meant to be well worth a visit. York had 4 families that were famous for chocolate making (Terrys and Rowntree being 2 that I can mind) and as well as dealing with history you can make your own chocolate! The wife wants to visit this next time we are down

We also ate at an amazing Chinese restaurant the time before last, the Happy Valley at Goodramgate.

Looking for a city break in UK for my 40th next month.

Needs to be quite lively during the day and not too expensive.

Not into clubbing but Like a pub ;) and a bit of history etc so decent museums and architecture etc a bonus.

Don't like sh**holes either.

Not Newcastle, Manchester or Birmingham though.

Have thought about London but getting there is a tad expensive (if someone knows how to get cheap train tickets please advise as I can never seem to get the deals you hear about!)

Anyone got any thoughts on Liverpool? [Wifes just shouted across the room as she's on the tablet..]

So it's over to you JKB globetrotters,...

Bath a Historical city with some great pubs

Bath is quite a nice place to visit.

just saw your post. Bath is really nice. I've lived here for 12 years now. :)

Belfast.

Outstanding place to go.

Absolutely this.

Great city with a very interesting history. Titanic museum is amazing too.

Great pubs and restaurants, all very compact, so no taxis needed.

Fly into city airport and you are 10 mins max from city centre. (Might get cheaper flight to International which is still a good option)

Book just now and you would probably get a couple of good deals on hotels. Malmaison is a great location for the cathedral quarter and nice hotel. The Merchant if you really want to push the boat out.

And finally very friendly city, much prefer it to Dublin.

Worked in and around Belfast for 5/6 years on and off and it's fine. Two occasions some things kicked off. Once over the flying of the Union flag at city hall and it got a bit hairy and once around the 12th which was mostly school kids fighting and using religion as the excuse.

Bar that a very friendly and welcoming city with one of the fastest growing tourist industries in the UK. Getting a decent hotel depending on when you go can be tough.

Stopped working over their last year but been back this year for 2 weekends taking family over with me for the weekend as it such a great city. They all loved it.

The Real Maroonblood

just saw your post. Bath is really nice. I've lived here for 12 years now. :)

I was there a couple of weeks ago and I was really impressed with Bath.

Boaby Ewing

York is a decent shout.

Alternatively head north and get a wee cottage for the weekend somewhere like Aberfeldy. Nothing to do but walk, eat, drink, and shag.

Some less obvious options.....

Not too far away - we've done Durham. Small city, historic, nice location, easy to get too, and close to Tyneside if you get bored.

Further away, and similar - Worcester - although I'd say after a day in both you'll have done all there is to do.

Another option - Dublin? OK, so you'll need to get the tram to the airport for this one, but if you get lucky with flights (Ryanair and Aer Lingus), it may not cost more than heading to one of the English cities.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Carlisle has got a lot of history with its city walls, part of Hadrian's Wall not far away and the Lakes just half an hour south. Cheap to get to as it is not far to travel.

Glasgow? In all seriousness. I lived in Paisley for 10 years and still discovered new things around Glasgow.

I know this might not be a popular suggestion though!

Guest GhostHunter

Also - look at Canterbury...the Canterbury Lodge hotel right in the grounds of the Cathedral is an amazing place...

Bath a Historical city with some great pubs

Bath. Nice place to walk around , good places to eat. Not sure about the night life. Bristol is also a good shout. Try the Clifton area , by the Bridge. Cracking views and good nightlife (big new development by the waterfront). IMO - avoid Liverpool and Manchester. Both absolute dumps. My lad spends a lot of time in Leeds and he thinks its far better than both these cities.

York is a decent shout.

Alternatively head north and get a wee cottage for the weekend somewhere like Aberfeldy. Nothing to do but walk, eat, drink, and shag.

I've done a wedding anniversary in York and Valentines weekend in Aberfeldy

I can recommend both

Don't go to Newquay

York is a decent shout.

Just back from a week in a cottage in drumnadrochit. We walked we drank we ate we....... ;)

Added this to the ahortlist as it was a great week.

Loads to mull over here thanks peeps....

Have added blackpool aswell.. not so much culture etc but we know a few locall pubs away from the front and all the tackyness and also not too far on a train to manchester, morcombe etc for a daytrip.. during which we shall get pished.

All these suggestions are great reading and are giving me ideas for the future aswell..

Stratford upon Avon

Bit of culture with Shakespeare a nice city centre good pubs, a trip on the canal

2nd for Chester. Cracking wee city. Easy access to North Wales coast with castles and stuff.

Bath is cool too. Especially if yer into Romans, (Same with Chester).

Cardiff is really nice these days. Bit mental at night mind but that's mainly round the city centre. Some nice hotels too. We stayed here and it was far too nice for a bunch of old drunks.

http://www.thehotelc...ff-angel-hotel/

Decent price on flights from Edinburgh too.

York fits the bill perfectly.Durham handy for a visit by train as well.

Manchester is the best though, plenty to do culture wise and some good hotels Media City way.Liked Liverpool as well.A lot of great things to do add in the Beatles if you like them as well.Again good rail links between York, Manchester and Liverpool.

Captain_Peacock

Another vote for Belfast,went with the Mrs and stayed at Jurys Inn on Great Victoria Street, just across the road there are 2 cracking pubs,

The Crown http://www.nicholsonspubs.co.uk/thecrownliquorsaloonbelfast/findus/

Robinsons http://www.robinsonsbar.co.uk/

When we went they had a German Market on which was pretty good, hired a car and had a run up to the Bushmills Distillery and went over to the Giant's Causeway which is just up the road, the Mrs insisted we visit the Titanic Museum and even that wasn't too bad. Heard a lot of good stuff about the black cab city tours but never got round to it.

Oh and an Ulster Fry has to be the best hangover cure known to man.

Hope you have a cracking 40th what ever you decide Muldoon.

Budapest- flights from Edin.. Cheap as chips when you get there

-- just seen it's a uk break.. My bad. Buda is decent tho!

• 2 weeks later...

Not a single bad suggestion, thanks KB! ;)

They're all on the list for future trips...

The winning city is........................................

Edinburgh.

Was "let go" from my job on friday so we are going into the toon on the actual day for a quality scoff and a wee browse in the whisky shop with a ?40 limit for a bottle of something nice for me...

Bath. Nice place to walk around , good places to eat. Not sure about the night life. Bristol is also a good shout. Try the Clifton area , by the Bridge. Cracking views and good nightlife (big new development by the waterfront). IMO - avoid Liverpool and Manchester. Both absolute dumps. My lad spends a lot of time in Leeds and he thinks its far better than both these cities.

Bath night life can vary. Also there is the comedy club when there is a stand up act most nights. Bear in mind there is a large student population due to the Uninversity (if you're lucky you might bump into every Jambo's favorite athlete Elidth Child (she trains at the Uni)). Loads of places to eat and visit. And weather is really nice between May and August.

deesidejambo

Not a single bad suggestion, thanks KB! ;)

They're all on the list for future trips...

The winning city is........................................

Edinburgh.

Was "let go" from my job on friday so we are going into the toon on the actual day for a quality scoff and a wee browse in the whisky shop with a ?40 limit for a bottle of something nice for me...

Good choice. Embra while Festival is on is the best place in the world.

Archived