Pubs/clubs on a saturday night

Toggie88

Any recommendations?

I'm tired of the same old dross, of Stereo, City, Faith and Mood that all my mates seem to love.

I can't stand dance music, and these place's are always full of neds.

So can anyone recommend anywhere different?

Off to Headspin tonight at the Bongo. Good mix of funk, soul and hip-hop and always a quality crowd there. If anyone goes, I'll be the one dancing my ass off in the Boards of Canada t-shirt!

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Any recommendations?

I'm tired of the same old dross, of Stereo, City, Faith and Mood that all my mates seem to love.

They aren't really. Bet you get more arseholes at the likes of Stereo than most dance events in Edinburgh.

If Stereo/City is your thing you may as well head to George Street. The same type of clubs but a bit more expensive!

Chester™
They aren't really. Bet you get more arseholes at the likes of Stereo than most dance events in Edinburgh.

Just what I was thinking. I can honestly say, in 10 years of going to dance clubs, ive only ever seen one fight and thats the only bother ive come across. You go to the right clubs and the ned quotient lowers dramatically.

Give us some of the things your interesting in Toggie and we may be able to help more. I dont go out as much as I used so im not in tune with what you young things like these days!

When im out I like going to bars like Brass Monkey etc. Some of my mates have been going to Jazz bars recently and have said its been really good value. Only been once or twice, but enjoyed my time there.

Depends what you are into I suppose.

Carl Weathers

My favourite club in Edinburgh is Cab Vol.

Dance music pretty much all the way though.

Think I am starting off in Revolution bar tonight - anyone been?

The Hive is alright on a Saturday night, indie and electro, pretty cheap.

Sooperstar

If Stereo/City is your thing you may as well head to George Street. The same type of clubs but a bit more expensive!

Mood most certainly is. I've been too old to go to Stereo for a long time now. Faith has always been far too busy inside.

Chester™
Mood most certainly is. I've been too old to go to Stereo for a long time now. Faith has always been far too busy inside.

AP was talking about dance clubs rather than those though....

Sooperstar
AP was talking about dance clubs rather than those though....

Ah, so he was. I think Toggie was specifically talking about the venues mentioned rather than all dance places. Although at the same time maybe not.

I hate Mood though. Properly hate it.

DarthVodka
Ah, so he was. I think Toggie was specifically talking about the venues mentioned rather than all dance places. Although at the same time maybe not.

I hate Mood though. Properly hate it.

I'm surprised Mood is still open, there is hassle there almost every night

Don't get me started on the bloody Hive.

What an absolute dive of a place. It's up there with a night i used to frequent at the Liquid Rooms on a Wednesday; Indi-Go. Loved the music but i soon realised it was full of knobbed-up Edinburgh Uni folk (Loads of my mates are at Ed. Uni) who are trying oh so desperately to be Indie.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Don't get me started on the bloody Hive.

What an absolute dive of a place. It's up there with a night i used to frequent at the Liquid Rooms on a Wednesday; Indi-Go. Loved the music but i soon realised it was full of knobbed-up Edinburgh Uni folk (Loads of my mates are at Ed. Uni) who are trying oh so desperately to be Indie.

When Indi-Go first opened it was a great night out but as you say, it's full of yahs trying to act like Indie tossers.

And Sooperstar - Mood is an absolute hole ... I agree fully!

Rawrrrrrrr

I haven't been out in Edinburgh in a while

The only half decent night which sounds appealing at the moment is Liquid Room on a friday

I've been going over to fife, its generally a hole but the bouncers arent *****, you get drunk cheaper and its generally less hassle, Im sure I will get sick of it soon but at the moment its still quite new

If your bored of edinburgh toggie give some of the outlying areas a go, they will probably be better simply because their new, such as livvy, bathgate, kirkaldy, stirling, dunfermline etc

The only half decent night which sounds appealing at the moment is Liquid Room on a friday

I've been going over to fife, its generally a hole but the bouncers arent *****, you get drunk cheaper and its generally less hassle, Im sure I will get sick of it soon but at the moment its still quite new

If your bored of edinburgh toggie give some of the outlying areas a go, they will probably be better simply because their new, such as livvy, bathgate, kirkaldy, stirling, dunfermline etc

Bathgates a good night out,Im down the road at Linlithgow.

Infact an all day saturday pub crawl beats a Saturday night clubbing in Edinbrgh.

You cant beat a pub lunch with a group of lads, followed by a trip to the bookies, then back to pub, watch Jeff Stelling, head to another pub, check your coupon, watch at the races, head to another pub, reeking by 4.45, head to another pub repeat untill leathered by 7 bells. Kebab, walk up the road, magic shower, back out, pub, outside for a smoke....

Catch my drift?

All day pub sessions=1

vs

clubbing=0

The Hive, Whistle Binkies, Opium, Studio 24....

I love Whistle Binkies...if there's not something decent to listen to, there's always something interesting to watch. It attracts the most unusual mix of people. My favourites are the 18yr old self-appointed music experts who come in and pointedly maintain expressions of misery for the duration. The best part comes when the cover band does 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' or something of similar cult status...their wee angst ridden faces contort with such rage....they sit and shake their heads in disapproval the entire way through the song and roll eyes heavenward etc. The remainder of their time is spent staring mournfully into the pint of lager which lasts them hours and flashing occasional looks of disdain and contempt at anyone who dares express even mild happiness.

Kids these days...they're such miserable wee 'misunderstood' sods....

They're funny though. :)

Any recommendations?

Get yirsel over the bridge to Dunfermline:)

When to....Stereo, as my mates are boring *******s and it was that, City or Mood.

Went for a bit, before meeting some other mates and promptly headed for the Hive - not a bad night out.

When to....Stereo, as my mates are boring *******s and it was that, City or Mood.

Went for a bit, before meeting some other mates and promptly headed for the Hive - not a bad night out.

Cheers Toggie, son.

Remind me, who was moaned at every time they suggested somewhere new on a Saturday night? That's right: me.

What you doing tonight?

Benny Factor
Bathgates a good night out,Im down the road at Linlithgow.

Infact an all day saturday pub crawl beats a Saturday night clubbing in Edinbrgh.

You cant beat a pub lunch with a group of lads, followed by a trip to the bookies, then back to pub, watch Jeff Stelling, head to another pub, check your coupon, watch at the races, head to another pub, reeking by 4.45, head to another pub repeat untill leathered by 7 bells. Kebab, walk up the road, magic shower, back out, pub, outside for a smoke....

Catch my drift?

All day pub sessions=1

vs

clubbing=0

Some good pubs in Bathgate, though no decent clubs, something that lets down West Lothian as a whole.

I love Whistle Binkies...if there's not something decent to listen to, there's always something interesting to watch. It attracts the most unusual mix of people. My favourites are the 18yr old self-appointed music experts who come in and pointedly maintain expressions of misery for the duration. The best part comes when the cover band does 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' or something of similar cult status...their wee angst ridden faces contort with such rage....they sit and shake their heads in disapproval the entire way through the song and roll eyes heavenward etc. The remainder of their time is spent staring mournfully into the pint of lager which lasts them hours and flashing occasional looks of disdain and contempt at anyone who dares express even mild happiness.

Kids these days...they're such miserable wee 'misunderstood' sods....

They're funny though. :)

I usually end up in Whistle Binkies, class place.

Toilets could do with some attention though.

I usually end up in Whistle Binkies, class place.

Toilets could do with some attention though.

Damn right. You can smell them pretty much from the bar area before you go down the steps...horrible. They haven't been refurbed in years....

Small price to pay for what is usually a good night though.

Incompetnce

There's Centraal (expensive and occasionally full of tossers but does a brilliant selection of beers), the Pear Tree which is nice during the Summer but you really have to be on an all day bender to get a table outside, or The Blind Poet which is quite a good wee place in between the previous two.

Frankensteins is usually too busy on the weekends, same with anything along George IV bridge, on the Royal Mile there's The Albanach though (it does Deuchars so gets thumbs up from me).

There's Oddfellows and Doctor's too if you're heading up from Tollcross towards Forrest Road.

Cheers Toggie, son.

Remind me, who was moaned at every time they suggested somewhere new on a Saturday night? That's right: me.

What you doing tonight?

No, your suggestion was always Opium.

I've made the decision that I'm not going back to Stereo, City, Mood (all like minded clubs) until after my holiday.

Fancy Hive one Friday?

Ohh it's Sorley birthday next Sunday, so it's an all day-er at the Rainbow. We're also doing the Centurion, aparently.

Prince Buaben

Was going to say its a crap night out but i think its just boring more than anything else!

No ones mentioned Cav yet?

Saw The Dials in Binkies on sat - great place to catch new bands. beers pretty expensive and the bogs are reeking but its a good laugh.

Damn right. You can smell them pretty much from the bar area before you go down the steps...horrible. They haven't been refurbed in years....

Small price to pay for what is usually a good night though.

hmfc_liam06

I live in Fife and cant for the life of me think why you would come over for a night out!

Archived