Blown Gasket

Cigaro

Does anyone know roughly how much this costs to repair, and if it is worth getting done?

The car is fairly old and done over 120k miles.

Rawrrrrrrr
Does anyone know roughly how much this costs to repair, and if it is worth getting done?

The car is fairly old and done over 120k miles.

Depends on related damage, whether it needs skimmed etc

What kind of car is it?

Easily talking 500 quid plus in most cases, if your lucky which is unlikely maybe 2/300.

The gasket blew on our old car and it was going to cost about 700 quid to fix

Rawrrrrrrr

It sounds like you should scrap it, you will get ?125 quid or so from a scrappy from it

I wouldnt bother with a repair as it sounds like its at the age where its just going to hemorage money.

Often you find cars with head gasket repairs are just never the same again also.

The liquid is a fairly pish solution, although if its cheap it could I suppose get you a few months use out of the car as long as your not worried about the fact you could make it worse. Otherwise if you just do short journeys you could always just keep topping up the liquids and drive it anyway short term and just wait til it dies completely

Your probably best just taking your cash to an auction though and picking up something else or going for new/nearly new if you can afford it

I bought a brand new car last year after my old s reg went and I wouldnt go back.

absolutly nothing to worry about in the respects of mot's, repairs, breakdowns etc all for less than ?200 a month

Vauxhall Corsa B.

Its not worth ?500 anyway, and have spent a good ?200-?300 on it in the last 6 months already. It also needs a new handbrake cable, and the MOT coming up.

Someone on a Corsa forum recommended this: http://www.steelseal.co.uk/index.asp?function=WEBPAGE&page=3

Any thoughts...?

Don't know about Steelseal, but I used this stuff a couple of years back:

http://www.motorshop1.co.uk/sealup.htm

You just bung some in where the coolant goes and run the engine for a while and when it encounters a leak it sets and makes a seal. Only works for minor cracks in the head gasket though, so might be worth a bash depending on how severe the damage is...

Not sure how severe it is.

I think scrapping seems the most likely route, although I'm gutted tbh.:(

I'm unsure of the liquid too.

Theres a hell of a build up of cremy white goo in the oil tank too. Going by the Corsa forums, its not worth it.

Theres a hell of a build up of cremy white goo in the oil tank too. Going by the Corsa forums, its not worth it.

Sounds like it's fecked, I'm afraid. My condolences go out to you at this difficult time...

Sounds like it's fecked, I'm afraid. My condolences go out to you at this difficult time...

Should I start an RIP thread?

:P

I blew a gasket the other day, but that was due to someones incompetence!

I'll try that liquid though!

;)

Should I start an RIP thread?

:P

Ooooh...dunno...Sellik might be asking for a postponement....

Sounds like a scrap job tbh bud.

If it's any consolation, my Vauxhall Astra has an ever increasing hole in the exhaust system and increasingly squeaky suspension that may well not be worth repairing come MOT time, so I kinda feel your pain!

Btw my ex beehatch had to have a head gasket changed on her rackety Ford Ka once upon a time, cost her about ?400.

Yeah I think so.

Been offered a P reg Punto with 67k on the clock for ?150 so think I might get that as a stop gap until I'm earning enough to get something else.

oh ah grantona

if the goo is white it has mixed with oil full blown gasket what reg is the car

Anyone had a Mk1 Punto before?

No. But for ?150 it must be worth a punt. I was carless and skint a couple of years ago and picked up a Kia Pride for ?50. Humiliating vehicle to own but it got me where I needed to be and never broke down. I sold it 6 months later for ?80 and in the time I had it did nothing apart from put petrol in it I didn't even blow up the tyres or wash it.

No. But for ?150 it must be worth a punt. I was carless and skint a couple of years ago and picked up a Kia Pride for ?50. Humiliating vehicle to own but it got me where I needed to be and never broke down. I sold it 6 months later for ?80 and in the time I had it did nothing apart from put petrol in it I didn't even blow up the tyres or wash it.

Its ?275.

I'm getting it with full tax and MOT. Been on Fiat forums, and they seem to think around ?400-?500, so I'll take that.

Thats what I need, something to get me to uni and back. Dented bonnet or not.

I have one bit of bad news....its green.

Its ?275.

I'm getting it with full tax and MOT. Been on Fiat forums, and they seem to think around ?400-?500, so I'll take that.

Sounds like a bargain. The dreaded Kia was green as well but at the time I didn't care.

davemclaren
Its ?275.

There's these things called buses... ;)

Pfffft public transport. 2hrs to uni?

I've been walking to work.:( Its really depressing.

Sounds like a bargain. The dreaded Kia was green as well but at the time I didn't care.

Na, its not Hobo green so I can handle it I think.

I'll just shut my eyes when I use it.

The Old Tolbooth

Exactly Dave, some people have no shame driving green cars!!! :biggrin:

Its ?275.

If you can get a year of hassle free motoring out of it then that's a bargain.

I drove a mk1 Punto for a couple of years after passing my test, they are notorious for electrical problems but are generally dead easy to drive and quite nippy. You could do a whole lot worse.

If you can get a year of hassle free motoring out of it then that's a bargain.

I drove a mk1 Punto for a couple of years after passing my test, they are notorious for electrical problems but are generally dead easy to drive and quite nippy. You could do a whole lot worse.

Thats what I'm hoping. After that I will have graduated and be able to get a better car (hopefully)

As far as I know its maybe double the bhp of the Corsa:eek:

Thats what I'm hoping. After that I will have graduated and be able to get a better car (hopefully)

As far as I know its maybe double the bhp of the Corsa:eek:

The BHP is normally on the side panel of the car. Depends on engine size of course but it will be around 55-70 - not much at all tbh. As I said, they are nippy, decent handling cars though - I liked throwing the old one about, much to my mum's annoyance (it was her car...)

Also, I said the same thing about graduating and getting a better car...two years on I'm still driving a crappy '94 Astra! Damn house prices..

creamy white goo means your gasket is fecked!

All the water from the radiator is leaking into the oil tank and mixing with the oil = creamy white goo!

Depends how bad it is, but sooner or later, your radiator will be empty and the car will start overheating, so you put more water in which leaks into the oil and so on and so on...

creamy white goo means your gasket is fecked!

All the water from the radiator is leaking into the oil tank and mixing with the oil = creamy white goo!

Depends how bad it is, but sooner or later, your radiator will be empty and the car will start overheating, so you put more water in which leaks into the oil and so on and so on...

It was overheating, thats how I noticed. :oops:

Archived