Urban deer?

Gannet

Driving along South Gyle Broadway this morning and was very surprised to see a deer run across the road, anyone who might live or work in the area might confirm if this is common sight? Looked like a fairly young doe.

Guest GhostHunter

I live 5 minutes from Stirling City Centre, and we've got deer in the grassland/woodland bit at the back of the house...

About shit myself the other morning at 0300 when I went out the back - thought there was a monster crashing around in the undergrowth only to see 2 deer come sauntering through - literally 10 feet from where I was standing.

[edit] - should add, I chased them away sharpish as I knew ArcticJambo was in the country.

My Left Nut

Driving along South Gyle Broadway this morning and was very surprised to see a deer run across the road, anyone who might live or work in the area might confirm if this is common sight? Looked like a fairly young doe.

I have worked in Edinburgh Park for nearly five years. Seen rabbits, foxes, all kind of birds but never a deer.

3fingersreid

There's about 3 or 4 running about on kingsknowe golf course surprised at the size of them

indianajones

Once noticed three by the side of the M8 in the centre of Glasgow.

One down near Ashley Terrace.

Not that common to see them in an urban environment. They usually like the quiet.

My old man was on a bus recently that got stopped for ages at Learmonth Terrace. Turned out there was a deer charging about so the police shot it - **** knows where it came from. Sounds like they're taking over!

There is a voice for reintroducing wolves. Now that make an interesting late night walk home from the boozer!!

There are deer grazing in the fields along the bypass particularly around Hillend and Fairmilehead whether they have move towards the Gyle who knows.

Plenty of them around Merchants golf course (Morningside/Craiglockhart). Still haven't managed to clock one with a golf ball...

I saw a deer in a garden in Saughton Mains one night, must have been about 15 years ago.

Seymour M Hersh

Was on the train to Glasgow one morning a couple of years ago. About 5 minutes out of Q St. (can't remember the scheme) there was a young dear standing off to the left in a siding. Doubted it lasted long before being dragged off to some hi-rise for dinner.

Whole family of them between Wallyford and the Pans just across from Drummore.

Yes I see them during the day although the grass is long there the now so hard to spot

There are deer in the Glasgow necropolis, which is pretty central and near the motorway.

I'm sure I've seen deer on the opposite side of the bye-pass to The Gyle, so wouldn't be surprised they crossed the road.

Lavrentiy Beria

Plenty of them around Merchants golf course (Morningside/Craiglockhart). Still haven't managed to clock one with a golf ball...

As I live 2 minutes from there , I have encountered a few in the last 10 days . Beautiful animals .

jambogaz1968

Beautiful animals yes but far to many of them , they destroy everything in their path,we shouldn't feck with nature but because we already have,a cull is needed .

Templeton Peck

I think there is a job opening for Garry O'Connor with the council. He could drive about and knock them over. He's apparently decent at it.

I've seen deer at craigmiller castle park about 4 times in the last two years. Was pretty surprised at first as its right next to dalkeith road and the hospital. Pretty decent sized group of them too.

fabienleclerq

There was a program on recently about deer in London, a herd of like 20 odd in a built up area. Come out at like 4:00am and feed on folks lawns as it's the preferred length for them.

the stone rose

Deer. Everywhere. Just about every city in Britain have urban deer. Becoming like vermin.

My half sister

I live 5 minutes from Stirling City Centre, and we've got deer in the grassland/woodland bit at the back of the house...

Blairdrummond?

Franco Fascione

Saw a half eaten dead Bambi lying on Braid Road the other day. Had to phone the council to come clear it up. Council customer services girl was heartbroken...

my laddie seen one a few weeks ago down at the Inch, on the main road just before Cameron Toll

Jambof3tornado

See them all the time in the woodland at the back of mine, stay near alloa. Lovely golden coat on the one I almost walked into the other morning. Heard rustling in the tall ferns and thought it was birds,then a loud snap of a branch as the big bugger launched by me and the dog.

See deer all the time outside my house, mainly in the winter. Not seen them for a while but then again I live in Armadale it's possible they've been eaten :2thumbsup:

The White Cockade

Beautiful animals yes but far to many of them , they destroy everything in their path,we shouldn't feck with nature but because we already have,a cull is needed .

I think that's the human race you are talking about there

jambogaz1968

I think that's the human race you are talking about there

Em no, but you have a point

All Gone Wrong

I saw tow about 4 weeks ago in the council depot at the bottom of Clermiston Road,the place was locked up and there is a 8 foot metal fence all the way round so don't know if they live in it somewhere.Also the tram hit one when they were testing them out at Gogar,that was kept quiet.But they it is becoming more common to see them.

Wonder how long before there is a serious road accident caused by a deer running across the road.

Do you think you would take evasive action to avoid hitting an animal whilst driving? I reckon your natural reflexes would kick in and most would swerve or brake to avoid hitting it, even although legally you ain't supposed to.

RealMaroonCF

Plenty trapped in royal musselburgh. I think we'll need a ranger eventually to get them controlled.

The Mighty Thor

Quite a big family of deer in Dunbar. Often see them when walking the dog early in the morning. They are prone to bolting across the road though the dozy feckers.

Shame you said urban deer between them and phesants it's all you hit down this way. Got some cracking stories. One got dragged for miles in the engine cage of a truck on the a1 the scene for a few days was horrific just both side of the roads was painted red

Gregory House M.D.

Whole family of them between Wallyford and the Pans just across from Drummore.

The guy that owns Dolphinstone farm owns them he bought them and put them out on his land.

Deer don't know the green cross code.

That's because in human terms, they are colour blind.

Shame you said urban deer between them and phesants it's all you hit down this way. Got some cracking stories. One got dragged for miles in the engine cage of a truck on the a1 the scene for a few days was horrific just both side of the roads was painted red

If that was just on the Dunbar side of Grantshouse then I agree, there was bits of deer all over the shop.

Archived