wild or nearly wild camping

Zerothehero

Zerothehero

Looking for a bit of help finding a good place to do some wild camping. Looking to do some night sky photography so ideally somewhere pretty dark and where we can park by the tent.

Most campsites tend to be a bit restrictive and you end up afraid to breathe too loud. Probably wouldnt appreciate all the noise and gear in the middle of the night.

Looking for up to an hour or two from Edinburgh. Any suggestions appreciated! Ta.

Pete Seeger

Get yourself into the trossachs and up a hill. Ben ledi's great for a morning sunrise!

Zerothehero

Awesome. Had thought trossachs might be good but not that familiar with the area. Will take a peek online. Cheers!

Auld Reekin'

Get yourself into the trossachs and up a hill. Ben ledi's great for a morning sunrise!

Might have a problem parking by the tent, though!

indianajones

Lawers and Chonzie are fairly close to Edinburgh. Both with quiet parking areas and have the option of walking a little to find a suitable camping spot.

Zerothehero

Great, thanks for the replies. A wee bit of walking isnt out the question. Carting cameras and telescope about so dont fancy much more than a short walk. Will have a good look at the places mentioned. Thanks again.

Pete Seeger

If you want to be by the car try schiehallion (spelling). The car parks halfway up. The same goes for the lawers range at killin.

indianajones

Great, thanks for the replies. A wee bit of walking isnt out the question. Carting cameras and telescope about so dont fancy much more than a short walk. Will have a good look at the places mentioned. Thanks again.

I cant remember which one has a small amount of woodland near the car park but whatever one it is, I'd camp there.

Camping in open peat/heather moorland isnt ideal unless the weather is spot on. Its a tad exposed with nothing to burn to keep you warm.

The People's Chimp

Glen Etive, plenty nice spots down next to the river, beautiful scenery.

Not sure there are many spots for camping at schiehallion tbh. Also a lot of deer stalking around (obv not on John Muir trust land though). But you will get an amazing view of the stars as there is so little light pollution.

Around Glencoe is where I have witnessed some of the clearest night skies ever, maybe too long a drive for you though. If you go I recommend the Red Squirrel campsite

Harlaw reservoir. Me and some mates went there a couple months back and the bailiff was totally fine with us as long as we tidied up. We had a huge fire and made loads of noise once all the anglers had left.

A few of them looked a bit miffed we were there because they pay money to fish but one stopped and spoke. Once we reassured him we'd clear up behind us he went to tell the bailiff not to bother coming up to see us. Passed him with our rubbish in the morning and he was well pleased with us.

There was 6 of us with a ridiculous amount of alcohol so if your going up with just some photography gear then you'll be sound.

It's only a short walk from the car park near the info centre too.

Cairneyhill Jambo

If you're on Facebook, join Wild Camping Scotland or Wild Camping in Scotland for Hee Haw pages. Great for ideas for where to camp.

Zerothehero

Harlaw reservoir. Me and some mates went there a couple months back and the bailiff was totally fine with us as long as we tidied up. We had a huge fire and made loads of noise once all the anglers had left.

A few of them looked a bit miffed we were there because they pay money to fish but one stopped and spoke. Once we reassured him we'd clear up behind us he went to tell the bailiff not to bother coming up to see us. Passed him with our rubbish in the morning and he was well pleased with us.

There was 6 of us with a ridiculous amount of alcohol so if your going up with just some photography gear then you'll be sound.

It's only a short walk from the car park near the info centre too.

That might be a really good shout.its local too. Cheers!

Guest GhostHunter

There's a place in Cumbria that's just the most amazing night sky I've ever seen - if you google Nenthead Mines, it's that area there - plenty of places to hike to and camp...

I don't think I've ever seen as many stars as I did that night.

scottishguy

Head down to Loch Ken, just on the edge of Galloway forest. You can do wild camping on the west side of the loch. Wont get better skies anywherd else. Better waiting till August though, dont get that dark at this time of the year. Sky is amazing at night and only 2 hours away.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Glen Lochay just the other side of Killin has some nice spots beside the river and plenty burns coming off the surrounding Munros with nice camping areas as well.

Drive down to kielder? Or even st marys loch in the borders. Kielder must be good, as everytime stargazing live is on, they always have people camped out there.

Trossachs or Galloway are probably the best nearest places.

Harlaw is too near Edinburgh to get proper dark sky.

I'd suggest heading to Aberfoyle and then on the B829 out past Lochard and on towards Stronachlacher at Loch Katrine, you should find somehwere suitable to camp up near the car etc.

Are you planning doing it soon? Just that there's not much darkness at night till later in the year. But I suppose it depends on how dark you want/need it to be.

I didn't camp so can't help much on that front but I rented a cottage outside dalbeattie at the end of last year and the night sky was amazing. Easily the best I've seen in the northern hemisphere.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

St Mary's loch is a good shout. There's plenty of fields and places that you can park the car at the side and just pitch a tent. If the farmer starts bitching then head up to the reservoir above the loch, there's a road sign near the far end that'll point you in the right direction. Nobody to bother you up there and there's a parking area too. The grounds not ideal for camping on, not very level in places and a bit clumpy in others but it's manageable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
Lancashire_Lou

I stayed here on my 'birthday tour' last year. Not wild but a lovely site " right on the edge of fir-cloaked Galloway Forest Park and its clear night skies (it?s the only European designated Dark Skies forest)."

http://www.ballochodee.com/

Archived