Amputee athlete wins right to chase Olympic goal

Drew Busby !

Drew Busby !

This is the sprinter bloke with the carbon-fibre prosthetic legs.

Mostly I agree with his fight to be allowed to compete. But I have a niggling concern that technology could be developed which actually produces a marginal enough advantage to win ... or get a medal. What would the reaction be from other athletes if they're beaten by carbon-fibre ? Doesn't it become analagous to any advantage gained by drug-use ?

Tricky one !

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/news/display.var.2278244.0.Amputee_athlete_wins_right_to_chase_Olympic_goal.php

I don't think he should be allowed to compete. As you say it is like gaining an advatage in any way. Naturally the other competitors are faster than him, but by using an aid he can compete. Its like me saying, im not fast enough naturally to compete with them, but if i I use a man made implement I can maybe stay with them.

christhejambo

His best times are still some way off competition winning standards, but even still i dont think he should be admitted to the olympics. It would be an interesting spectacle admittadly, but surely it will become difficult as technology advances to prevent an unfair advantage being created.

alwaysthereinspirit

Cant believe people are saying that carbon fibre gives him an advantage. HE HAS NO LEGS. Give the guy a break. As stated earlier his times aren't even good enough to qualify. He just wants to try to.

The Old Tolbooth
I don't think he should be allowed to compete. As you say it is like gaining an advatage in any way. Naturally the other competitors are faster than him, but by using an aid he can compete. Its like me saying, im not fast enough naturally to compete with them, but if i I use a man made implement I can maybe stay with them.

You need a calender to time me and I've no got a disabilty apparently!

skotskosparta
Cant believe people are saying that carbon fibre gives him an advantage. HE HAS NO LEGS. Give the guy a break. As stated earlier his times aren't even good enough to qualify. He just wants to try to.

Well actually he has legs being a amputee from below the knee, but I agree with you.

The point is would he ever get to the stage where he could actually compete at the highest level?

You need a calender to time me and I've no got a disabilty apparently!

Yeh, me too. With the aid of some man made additions though....who knows?

Archived