What work related career advice would you give to a 20 year old?

Sydney

I've got a pretty responsible job and do a lot of travelling for work. Last night I met up with a friend from high school that I hadn't seen in 25 years and we went for dinner in Hong Kong. Anyway, he is now global head of a big company, but still at heart, he's just the same guy I used to muck about with at school.

We were talking about why are we doing quite well, and yet some of the smart people in our class at school are working in shoe shops, or stuck behind a desk at South Gyle, or just sitting at home scratching their arse.

What we came up with was a few possible reasons why we've done well, and we decided that this is the career advice we'd give our kids:

Move away from your home town

Move overseas as soon as you can

Be willing to take on extra responsibility

Be friendly to people

Don't expect anything

Don't feel entitled to anything

Work bloody hard

Don't worry about the future

Make the most of whatever job you fall into

Make sure if you get into a leadership position that you have GREAT people working for you

Don't put up with people who don't have the right attitude or work ethic

Don't brown-nose your way through life

What advice would you give to a 20 year old?

scott_jambo

I've got a pretty responsible job and do a lot of travelling for work. Last night I met up with a friend from high school that I hadn't seen in 25 years and we went for dinner in Hong Kong. Anyway, he is now global head of a big company, but still at heart, he's just the same guy I used to muck about with at school.

We were talking about why are we doing quite well, and yet some of the smart people in our class at school are working in shoe shops, or stuck behind a desk at South Gyle, or just sitting at home scratching their arse.

What we came up with was a few possible reasons why we've done well, and we decided that this is the career advice we'd give our kids:

Move away from your home town

Move overseas as soon as you can

Be willing to take on extra responsibility

Be friendly to people

Don't expect anything

Don't feel entitled to anything

Work bloody hard

Don't worry about the future

Make the most of whatever job you fall into

Make sure if you get into a leadership position that you have GREAT people working for you

Don't put up with people who don't have the right attitude or work ethic

Don't brown-nose your way through life

What advice would you give to a 20 year old?

Good advice. :thumbsup:

I have four grandchildren two are girls in their twenties, one is in 4th year of a Science degree, planning to go for a Doctorate. One is in the United States planning marriage. Two boys one is a good goalie, and has a scholarship to a University with a starting goalie, (soccer) scholarship. The other boy is 16 going in to grade 11. My advice to him is in this Western Canada environment, forget University, get into a trade through the apprentice program at a local college. With the vast changes here in B.C. although requiring moves to smaller communities in the North, money is to be made in the Oil and Natural gas industries, construction will also be booming in the future, and qualified trades are at a deficit position. There are an over supply of many of the professions, and an under supply of qualified tradesmen forecast. My advice make your money when you are young, invest wisely for the future and you can do what your heart desires comfortably.

Incidentally I am 20 now so will be watching this thread rather closely :stuart:

You spend a large part of your life working, enjoy your life, do a job that you enjoy. If it's a a career you are after, enhance that by studying further in your chosen works with the likes of night school. When my apprenticeship was complete, at my own expense I wanted to carry on with college work one day a week, my employer, as many will, offered to still pay me for this. I did this and also attended night school 3 nights a week in further comparable subjects.

If you find what you have chosen is not for you, change direction and be adaptable, no learning is ever wasted.

Edit;- always proof read before you post or e-mail !

You spend a large part of your life working, enjoy your life, do a job that you enjoy.

Agree with this. Also, autonomy is better than money, so try to get a job where you can actually make the decisions which affect how you work. Being your own boss is the best way to achieve this.

A few others I've thought of:

Always respond to emails promptly

If you want something done, then phone the person, dont email them.

Answer your phone, don't let it go to voicemail all the time

Offer advice about how to make things better - don't just point out that stuff isn't working.

One thing I've always gone by which has helped me, don't be afraid to share your knowledge.

Some people think if they're in a job and they keep everything to yourself you make yourself invaluable and secure in your job because it can't be done without you. If you do the opposite and share your experiences / knowledge to bring people to your level, it does get noticed and you are seen as a far more valuable person within your team/company

Guest GhostHunter

Move away from where you grew up, work as hard as you can, and be positive even through all the shite that life flings at you.

I live fairly near where I grew up. Lucky enough to get a great job relatively close by. Pay isn't great but it's more than a lot of people get and, more importantly, I enjoy my work.

Best advice I reckon is to do something you enjoy. No point in being miserable for 50 years of your life.

Do something you really enjoy and it won't feel like work and you will always give it your best.

Treat everyone how you would like to be treated yourself.

Do what ever you are asked to do to the best of your ability.

Dress for the position you would like to have (wear a suit, shirt and tie if that is what the senior level wear)

Always ask and accept feedback, even if if you don't always agree with it.

Don't get involved in bitching about other work colleagues.

When my daughter is nearing 20, my advice/wisdom will be, "the reason i am in the position at my work is due to a lot of hard work, being polite, going out of my way to learn new skills and having the ability to say no to people at the right time. The reason i was in my late 30s before i got a good job with good prospects was because i spent too much of my younger years getting stoned and not caring".

If you want money, move to Aberdeen. The average salary here is like ?39k pa.

If you want to live in a city with a lot of things to do in your spare time, don't move to Aberdeen.

scott_jambo

Do something you enjoy but within the realms of reality.

Being a Big Brother contestant or still wanting to be a footballer when your 30, chasing that x-factor dream isn't productive. Think of your skillset and think - "What can I do with my life which won't involve waking up in the morning dreading your job and counting days to the weekend.

Following from that. The best advice I can give if you find yourself dreading your job and 6 months down the line still dreading it - quit.

Don't say, "I'll wait until after christmas and then hand in my 4 weeks notice" or "I can't afford to pay my rent if I quit this month, so I'll quit in a few months" or "I want to wait for that right job to come along before I leave this one".

Quit.

Today.

Hand in your 2 or 4 weeks notice today. You will survive. You aren't enslaved to your job. Your life is too short. Know when to quit and have the courage to do it. You will feel all that tension you had due to the job exit your body as soon as your notice is handed in and you will become your old self again. It's liberating.

Must admit moving down south (12 years ago now) was the best thing I ever did. Ok it does mean I dont get to watch the Famous as often as I used to. But I have Kickback for the games and the banter so no real loss there and I have HeartsTV on a Saturday afternoon. I now live in a nicer area than before (was living in Craigshill prior to moving). I have a decent job albeit not the highest paid but life is good. I just wish I moved when I first had the opportunity which was 22 years ago (i would have been 19).

Don't go for the big money straight away...

I know lots of people in my business that went for the first decent salary job they saw when they left education. got the mortgage, car on HP etc and now feel trapped but can't move on as they have too many things they are tied to financially.

Jambof3tornado

Money isnt everything. Going to work somewhere you hate 5 or 6 days a week will grind you down. Aim for a job you will enjoy.

Dont let anyone tell you that you can't do something,be positive.

Take on any learning/qualification opportunities throughout life,you can never have too much knowledge.

I would also add, if your unsure of what you want to do, join a few agency's for job experience in as many sectors of employment as possible,

& don't work for a council as you will get blamed for every thing!! :- D

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Be a good ****

Best advice I was ever given, if I'm going to employ someone I have to get along with them. No point in being the best in your field if no one can stand the sight of you.

scott_jambo

Be a good ****

Best advice I was ever given, if I'm going to employ someone I have to get along with them. No point in being the best in your field if no one can stand the sight of you.

Hmm..if I was a running a business would I want an incompetent nice person or a competent arse, tbh it depends on the job. When it comes to numbers/IT/or something business critical then give me the competent arse over the nice guy most times.

Reminds me of a statto guy I worked with. I think he had borderline aspergers so his social cues weren't the best, but boy could he do his job!

Guest C00l K1d

I'm 20 now.

I think the best advice I can give myself and others is not to listen to roasters on kickback for advice.

:D

Seriously though most things people have said I am trying to do.

I'd love to move away but its difficult. I have my heart set on America but I won't get in through work and im not going to move away from Edinburgh just for the sake of it.

My industry is very who you know and alot of the decent places to work have their "dedicated freelancers". I known where I want to be 10 years down the line I just don't know how to get there.

Sterling Archer

Don't be afraid to ask for help/guidance.

I got a new manager in January and he's been great.

I moved to Bath and a big help was one of my best mates who moved there well before me and his other half put me up until I found my feet. My own family put me off moving sooner than I did. If you have any mates down South who are prepared to put you up for a few months then go for it. I was working within 3 months of moving down South and had my own pad after a further 3/4 months. If the opportunity is there go for it. The worst that can happen is that it doesn't work out and you move back up again.

Casual relationships and no kids until at least 30, do what you want to do now, travel and experience different countries, a career in a job you like with promotional prospects and preferably you enjoy...

:thumbsup:

Casual relationships and no kids until at least 30, do what you want to do now, travel and experience different countries, a career in a job you like with promotional prospects and preferably you enjoy...

:thumbsup:

No kids until 30? :)

My lad was 11 by then! Still managed to graduate, twice.

Had kids after 30 too. Swings and roundabouts, pros and cons to both.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

No kids until 30? :)

My lad was 11 by then! Still managed to graduate, twice.

Had kids after 30 too. Swings and roundabouts, pros and cons to both.

Personally I knew that I wanted to do things, spend my money on myself so had more money to be selfish and think of me, easier for me before the kids...cos since they have come into the world thats where all my money goes :lol:

:sob:

Personally I knew that I wanted to do things, spend my money on myself so had more money to be selfish and think of me, easier for me before the kids...cos since they have come into the world thats where all my money goes :lol:

:sob:

Tell me about it mate. Worth it though, I think. :)

Gregory House M.D.

Wait, there are actual people in actual jobs that don't count down the days to the weekend?

Be a good ****

I agree with this. People skills are very important for moving up the ladder.

I've done pretty well in my current company. I would say that while I have been very good at what I do, I am certainly far from being the best. However, I think I am pretty decent to get on with, try to be pleasant and helpful to people and am quite skilled at dealing with pricks in a professional manner. None of that should be confused with brown nosing, mind- that's about the worst thing you can be seen to be doing.

I manages quite a big team of bright, well-educated guys. Some of them aren't progressing as fast as they should be (or think they should be...) simply because they have a habit of ******* people off, not least me.

Do The Dance

You're effectively saying that working in a shoe shop or working in an office is as big an influence to the world as sitting at home scratching your arse?

I'd tell a 20 year old not to turn into a person that can look down on someone so much because of the job that they do.

Would also be interesting to hear what you actually do.

Wait, there are actual people in actual jobs that don't count down the days to the weekend?

Aye, doesn't mean I don't enjoy my weekends and holidays but I find the bits in between very enjoyable too

Hmm..if I was a running a business would I want an incompetent nice person or a competent arse, tbh it depends on the job. When it comes to numbers/IT/or something business critical then give me the competent arse over the nice guy most times.

Reminds me of a statto guy I worked with. I think he had borderline aspergers so his social cues weren't the best, but boy could he do his job!

This is all fair enough. But the problem for guys like this is that while they can be vital to have in many roles, they may find their development opportunities limited by the fact they are aresholes and/or weirdos.

HeadrowJambo
One thing I've always gone by which has helped me, don't be afraid to share your knowledge.

Some people think if they're in a job and they keep everything to yourself you make yourself invaluable and secure in your job because it can't be done without you. If you do the opposite and share your experiences / knowledge to bring people to your level, it does get noticed and you are seen as a far more valuable person within your team/company

This. Got a good example of a selfish boss at my work. Scared to share knowledge incase he finds that someone is better than him. Doesn't realise having knowledgeable staff reflects well on him.

Not my boss thankfully.

You're effectively saying that working in a shoe shop or working in an office is as big an influence to the world as sitting at home scratching your arse?

I'd tell a 20 year old not to turn into a person that can look down on someone so much because of the job that they do.

Glad I'm not the only one thinking this. I'm quite happy living in the city I was born. Got a few mates who live in England and mainland Europe. Can't say I'm envious of them. Could probably earn more money in a different company and have more responsibility. However, I earn enough to keep me happy and do the things I want to do.

Everyone's motivated by different things. As long as you're happy enough in your job and get to do the things you want.

Guest C00l K1d

What's the point when you work the weekends too? :D

heartgarfunkel

Some great stuff on this thread. Take something from every job, no matter how shit it seems at the time. I've always liked Marcus Aurelius' take on challenge - something along the lines of seeing opportunity in every obstacle. And try and be a good ***** - don't shit on anybody.

PaulHartley10

I'd like some suggestions for jobs that are enjoyable and rewarding?

I've been miserable in mines for a couple of years now. Taken up driving lesson to get out!

Siphiwe Tshabalala

Moved away from East Lothian the week after i turned 18 to study Football Coaching.

Work full time in the States now after completing a 3 year course.

My advice would to be a good **** to people and move away as early as you can.

I think you've misinterpreted what I've tried to say.

I'm not looking down on anyone, but I was wondering what different actions people I knew from school had taken in the last twenty five years which have led them to different jobs (or no jobs at all in the case of some of my friends).

I then thought it would be good to share what we thought was good advice, and see if anyone else had good advice to share.

There is nothing wrong with working in a shoe shop, or in an office, and not everyone wants to, follow the same sort of career path, so that's why it is good to learn from everyone's advice on here.

Everyone's motivated by different things. As long as you're happy enough in your job and get to do the things you want.

100% agree, and that's exactly the sort of views this thread needs.

Not just that, also count down the hours till 5pm.

Edit: Hopefully that won't be the case when I start my new job next week :thumbsup:

Franco Fascione

Stay off the sauce on week nights, (seriously). Don't go into work hungover and feeling like crap, others might disagree but going into work stinking of stale alcohol isn't going to impress anyone - except the wasters.

Finance related - Start a pension early even if it's small monthly contributions at first, then build it up. With the way state pensions are going a current 20 year old will need their own pension more than ever.

Guest GhostHunter

Also, never, ever start thinking that the Grass in Greener on the Other Side - because, invariably, it isn't.

Archived