Could 'Futsal' become a popular spectator sport?

Charlie-Brown

Charlie-Brown

Hopefully this is less controversial than my other thread today. :)

Has anybody see anything of the 'Futsal' on eurosport etc?

Given the nature of this version of football and it's similarity to basketball - speedy, quick bursts of skill, more frequent scoring etc. I'd thought it would be perfect for TV presentation.

Does anybody think if it was given some major finance / exposure by SKY or Setanta it could become a popular spectator sport? Some of these players have tremendous technique & close control etc.

Charlie-Brown

It would also provide further opportunities for the sports betting industry!

portobellojambo1
Hopefully this is less controversial than my other thread today. :)

Has anybody see anything of the 'Futsal' on eurosport etc?

Given the nature of this version of football and it's similarity to basketball - speedy, quick bursts of skill, more frequent scoring etc. I'd thought it would be perfect for TV presentation.

Does anybody think if it was given some major finance / exposure by SKY or Setanta it could become a popular spectator sport? Some of these players have tremendous technique & close control etc.

I have watched some of the tournaments shown on Eurosport, and found them quite interesting, a lot of very skilled players involved.

It seems to be very popular in mainland Europe, and South and Central America, as to whether or not it would take off big style in Britain and capture the imagination of the public/sponsors, haven't got a scooby (it would never replace the real thing of course, but with a little bit of imagination it may become a going concern).

Charlie-Brown

Hypothetical question: If Hearts (or Edinburgh) had a Futsal team in a properly set up professional league or cup - would you have an interest or go watch this team? (assuming it didn't clash with Hearts or cost too much)

Toxteth O'Grady
It would also provide further opportunities for the sports betting industry!

Do we need any more?

Chinese at Riccarton counting corners and throw ins is enough I think:confused:

jamboinglasgow

I know for a fact that the Brazilians swear by Futsal and says it is important for the development of young players as it requires skill rather than strengh. I would go as far as to say that there should be alot more futsal competitions in Scotland. Start youngsters at a young age on Futsal and it should help increase the technique and skills of Scottish youngsters. Even so much of changing the Scottish youth set up of futsal in the winter and football in autum, spring and summer.

Only problem I see is facilities, though if the government got the finger out and realised it needs to solve the obsciety problem than great investement in these could be achieved.

As for spectator sport, I reckon that they should get the SPL teams to compete in a couple of competitions in the year maybe after the last game of the season and just before the start of the season, even maybe two other times. These would be televised and watched (obviously need somewhere to be hosted, could the SECC be able to do this?) If the SPL teams took it to Heart than it could spread to the other leagues and bring interest up.

Think though the important thing is how they handle this i.e. work with the football sides and not compete with football as that is why so many other versons of the game fail to break through as they are too busy competing. Think people would want to watch their team play in a competition like that and some bets could be placed.

On the bright side, according to the latest world rankings for futsal, Scotland are 89th and England are 125th (out of 135.) Not surprisingly the top 4 are made up of Brazil, Spain, Italy and Portugual, four very technically brillant teams.

Charlie-Brown
Do we need any more?

Chinese at Riccarton counting corners and throw ins is enough I think:confused:

I have a friend who bets on these things with Stan James on the live tv matches - he seems to win more money on betting on corners or yellow/red cards than he ever does with picking winners or score predictions.

Toxteth O'Grady
I have a friend who bets on these things with Stan James on the live tv matches - he seems to win more money on betting on corners or yellow/red cards than he ever does with picking winners or score predictions.

Was it the last Falkirk match at Tynie where Mikey Stewart booted the ball out for a throw in straight from kick off?

If he wasn't such a poor passer I'd be suspicious

Charlie-Brown
Was it the last Falkirk match at Tynie where Mikey Stewart booted the ball out for a throw in straight from kick off?

If he wasn't such a poor passer I'd be suspicious

That happens in so many games regardless of teams or players involved, sometimes it's a long floated pass, sometimes it's wide & straight out...they must be betting in half second intervals.......maybe next season I'll count how many go straight out & how quickly versus how many times they 'spike' the bet by dribbling or trying to chip the keeper.......of course i won't but it would be interesting to know the stats on these things......where's Topcat when you really need him. :)

Hypothetical question: If Hearts (or Edinburgh) had a Futsal team in a properly set up professional league or cup - would you have an interest or go watch this team? (assuming it didn't clash with Hearts or cost too much)

The weekend following the Braga v Hearts match we went to see Boavista v Rio Ave and (thanks to UpTheHill, IIRC) were subsequently ...erm, invited by the Boavista ultras to go to a futsal match the next day (Boavista v Benfica). The futsal match was taken *very* seriously by the (roughly) 1000 folk who turned up to watch it. Indeed, a sending off of a Boavista player precipitated a major bit of pavement dancing including a Granny sporting a pink dralon tracksuit trying to brain the ref with her handbag, while riot police tried to pluck up the courage to deal with her.

Interestingly, we were told that Benfica were one of a number of 'big' teams that imported Brasilian players specifically for the Futsal team, with no intention to play them in the 11-a-side game.

That said, not a format of the game I'd go out of my way to watch. Unless you could guarantee the Granny in Dralon turning up every week.

Charlie-Brown
The weekend following the Braga v Hearts match we went to see Boavista v Rio Ave and (thanks to UpTheHill, IIRC) were subsequently ...erm, invited by the Boavista ultras to go to a futsal match the next day (Boavista v Benfica). The futsal match was taken *very* seriously by the (roughly) 1000 folk who turned up to watch it. Indeed, a sending off of a Boavista player precipitated a major bit of pavement dancing including a Granny sporting a pink dralon tracksuit trying to brain the ref with her handbag, while riot police tried to pluck up the courage to deal with her.

Interestingly, we were told that Benfica were one of a number of 'big' teams that imported Brasilian players specifically for the Futsal team, with no intention to play them in the 11-a-side game.

That said, not a format of the game I'd go out of my way to watch. Unless you could guarantee the Granny in Dralon turning up every week.

Did you do her? or did she do you? either way? :P

Charlie-Brown
What happens in Porto stays in Porto....

So you're not one to braga :laugh::thumb:

I think we currently have a lot of players in our squad who would be much more suited to futsal than the real thing. Seriously. Maybe Vlad could start up a European futsal franchise and fill it with Kaunas exports. No.28 would shine.

Archived