US Open 2014

Sergio Garcia

Sergio Garcia

Its major time again in the golfing world, albeit my least favourite of the four of them, as the US Open starts on Thursday from Pinehurst. No Tiger once again due to injury and with mixed form for a lot of the top players its going to be hard to predict who will come out on top this week.

As much as I like Rory, his odds of around 10s are a bit short considering his bad habit of having a horror round most weeks. Phil has been fancied for this for a while but no top 10s this season yet has made people think twice about backing Lefty here and world number 1 Scott doesn't do well at the US Open with no top 10s ever in his career so far at this Championship.

My random bets this week shall be

Sergio Garcia - Top 5 last time the tournament was at Pinehurst and has been playing well this year. Worry over injury that made him pull out of BMW Championship at Wentworth but he should go close if fully fit.

Jason Dufner - Current PGA Champion and good recent record at US Open with two top 5 finishes in recent times. 2nd at Colonial recently as well so form is good at the moment. If he can get the short stick working he will be in with a shout.

Charl Schwartzel - Surprised he hasn't added to his Masters win with another major but in my view has the game for this course and the right temperament to win this. Top 15 twice in last 3 years and is in good form.

Stephen Gallacher - Mr Consistency right now being on the front page of leaderboards most weeks these days and could go well for a place at a big price. Has the right mindset for the US Open challenge.

Francesco Molinari - Always think he and his brothers best chance of going close at the majors is in the US Open. Straight player tee to green and a bit like Garcia if he can get his putting going can be in contention, good chance of getting a place at a big price.

Should hopefully see a lot of this in between World Cup matches.

Jason Dufner

Will also be backing Dufner (unsurprisingly). Think he'll do really well at Pinehurst and think he's going for 40/1 at the minute. If his putting is of a average standard he will win IMO.

Phil Mickelson another I'll back, decent showing at the weekend and wants this more than anyone.

Jim Furyk also seems to compete every time so may put a few quid each way.

Zach Johnson also, not great form of late and putting has been surprisingly poor but he can win this.

Backed Patrick Reid before but not making that mistake again, same goes for Dustin Johnson. Not expecting much off Jordan Spieth or Matt Kuchar either.

Sooperstar

With the World Cup on I think I'm going to pass up on this particular betting opportunity.

Maroon Sailor

Mickelson 16/1

Kuchar 28/1

English 90/1

Casey 100/1

Moore 100/1

Watney 200/1

To continue the trend on this thread, I'm also on Dufner. Jason Day and Webb Simpson too, and a couple of small ew's on John Senden and Brendon Todd.

Mickelson 16/1 ?3 Win

Simpson 45/1 ?4 E/W

Schwartzel 50/1 ?3 E/W

Fowler 66/1 ?3 E/W

Poulter 66/1 ?3 E/W

Els 125/1 ?2 E/W

Never had a bet on Poulter before, just have sneaky feeling for him this week.

The Fat Number 8

Charl Schwartzel - EW @50/1

Bill Hass - EW @100/1

Martin Kaymer - EW @40/1

Loius Oosthuizen - EW @66/1

Jason Day - EW @28/1

Rory Mclroy @11/1

uncle ask me to put money on J Spieth for him an e/w bet he is always lucky with golf might have to copy him

Mickelson 16/1 ?3 Win

Simpson 45/1 ?4 E/W

Schwartzel 50/1 ?3 E/W

Fowler 66/1 ?3 E/W

Poulter 66/1 ?3 E/W

Els 125/1 ?2 E/W

Never had a bet on Poulter before, just have sneaky feeling for him this week.

Only Els is struggling for me. Mickelson, Poulter, Fowler and Schwartzel all Level, and Simpson just one over. Not a bad start for my lot, and just stuck a fiver on McDowell @ 20s, straight win.

A couple on here looking good to get a run at it with Kaymer.

Matt Kuchar and Jimmy Walker at ?5.00 e/w both. Looked at Kaymer too as he is bang in form but shied away for some reason. Early days I suppose.

Maroon Sailor

Kaymer running away with this.

8 shots clear coming to the end of his 2nd round.

Can't see anybody getting near him even with 2 rounds to go.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Last week Coral gave me a free ?2 bet which I put it on Kaymer to win at 33/1. Looking good at the moment.

Maroon Sailor

Glad I didn't bet on this. Game's a bogey.

Kaymer needs a few of them if the others are going to have a chance.

My ?1 ew on Brendon Todd at 100/1 is looking like my best bet. Kaymer was on my list as well!

Sergio Garcia

Very impressive wire to wire for Martin Kaymer. The German looks back to his best, no one got near him at all this week.

Great stuff from Kaymer, although I didn't see much of it due to the WC - well done to those who were on him. I got ?25 back thanks to Jason Day putting in a good shift yesterday, so can't complain as it covered my bets.

Archived