Using vegetable oil as diesel?

The Old Tolbooth

The Old Tolbooth

This sounds absolutely crazy to me, but one of my clients assures me that this is correct.

He stated that diesel cars can run on vegetable oil instead of diesel, and it's also a lot cheaper too. He wasn't too impressed when I laughed at him at first :confused:

He reckons that if you use over a certain amount you need to pay duty on it, but it's a crazily high amount and not many people would use this much.

Firstly, is this guy winding me up (because I admit I have no knowledge of cars whatsoever and surely would have heard of this by now)

Secondly, if it's true, how do you go about doing it because diesel is a silly price now.

I have a funny feeling I'll be calling him back and calling him fatherless lol!

Commander Harris

did you know you can use used motor oil to fertilise your lawn?

Horatio Caine

One of my colleagues runs his diesel car on it. He's told me I should do the same but I haven't the bottle (!!)

I'll get my coat..

Seriously, there's enough people saying this for it to be true

The Old Tolbooth

I know fekall about gardening too lol!!! :confused:

hughesie27

I think it's more a mixture of the 2 liquids rather than simple getting to work while cooking your fry up breakast and warming your baps up.

Commander Harris
I know fekall about gardening too lol!!! :confused:

it's a poster they put up in "fight club" :)

Doctor FinnBarr

I seen a pic in the paper a week or 2 back of a guy outside a supermarket with gallons of the stuff, pouring it into his car!

:confused:

This sounds absolutely crazy to me, but one of my clients assures me that this is correct.

He stated that diesel cars can run on vegetable oil instead of diesel, and it's also a lot cheaper too. He wasn't too impressed when I laughed at him at first :confused:

He reckons that if you use over a certain amount you need to pay duty on it, but it's a crazily high amount and not many people would use this much.

Firstly, is this guy winding me up (because I admit I have no knowledge of cars whatsoever and surely would have heard of this by now)

Secondly, if it's true, how do you go about doing it because diesel is a silly price now.

It's absolutely true. There was a well known case recently of a N Wales seaside town where everyone was doing it. The stuff was running off Asda's shelves quicker than they could fill them. According to one resident the place smelt like a chippy all the time.

The downside is if you get caught doing it you're in for a big fine - think of people running on red diesel and getting caught.

I knew a guy who used to creosote his garedn fence with the stuff until he noticed that wherever he dropped any , nothing would grow.

It's highy dangerous stuff.

chester copperpot

Guy at my work does it, costs him about 17P a litre I think. I tried to get him to involve me, but apparently if your car is still under warranty, the garage wont touch it if something goes wrong so prob best wait until that has expired.

17p or 121p per litre. Hmmmm

Ryan Gosling

My neighbour's Land Rover runs on it.

You need to start it up on diesel, then switch to veggie oil to run it.

It's absolutely true. There was a well known case recently of a N Wales seaside town where everyone was doing it. The stuff was running off Asda's shelves quicker than they could fill them. According to one resident the place smelt like a chippy all the time.

The downside is if you get caught doing it you're in for a big fine - think of people running on red diesel and getting caught.

as long as you declare the duty to customs it is fine and it ends up costing you a lot less,

the mixture is usually used oil and white spirit which has been left for a period of time

A Boy Named Crow

It's times like this that I really wish I could drive. It's so devious and under hand;)

I saw a show about this, and, I think it was methane derived from corn on the cob, the opinion was that it worked well, however, to supply the requirements needed to make these viable alternatives the production for fuel would seriously diminish production for food. Some times ye jist cannae win.

Surely you can't get into trouble for doing that, it's your own car, if you wanted to smoke in your car, you're allowed to do that, if you want to put a nice rug on your back seat, you can do that, if you want to put a CD in the wrong way, you can do that so surely if you want to pour vegetable oil in your car you can.

What is the official law against it?

christhejambo

I remeber reading a story about a guy who used to go to his local chippy at the end of the night and take their used fryer oil off their hands- was getting chucked out anyway, so apart froma very smelly car, he was running it for basically no cost.

Surely you can't get into trouble for doing that, it's your own car, if you wanted to smoke in your car, you're allowed to do that, if you want to put a nice rug on your back seat, you can do that, if you want to put a CD in the wrong way, you can do that so surely if you want to pour vegetable oil in your car you can.

What is the official law against it?

In 2005, the rate of excise duty on vegetable oil used as motor fuel was set to the same rate as for diesel.

However, the rules have changed slightly. If you produce and/or use less than 2,500 litres per year, you don't have to pay the duty.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/briefs/excise-duty/brief1108.htm

There are folks round here, including a council, who use veg oil. Also rape seed oil can be used but that needs a slight engine modification I think.

Nucky Thompson

You bassas:rolleyes: I just filled my fan full of vegetable oil and it just conked out:mad: You can't trust anyone on those forums any more;)

The Doctor

It works fine, used oil is better, but it works. It's also better for the environment, it's sustainable, in as much as the carbon released is offset by the CO2 consumed by the plant as it grew, as opposed to releasing carbon from fossil fuels where the carbon has been trapped underground for millions of years. It's a long time since the plants and animals we pipe out of the North Sea have been alive!

So why aren't we turning over acres of land to growing our own fuel? It seems to make perfect sense, it's cleaner, renewable, sustainable, cheaper and we don't have to drill down, pump it up, pipe it around, refine it etc etc.

The problem is that it ties fuel to food prices. If farmers started harvesting fuel the competition would get so great and the profits would be so high that everyone would do it and so there would be less land to grow grain or rear animals and the price of food would increase even further, forcing more people into starvation.

I love my car, but the answer remains, we must drive less, we must consume less or we will eat the world.

I say that as a fat b'stard who drives around 20,000 miles a year, seriously, I'm so lazy I don't get up to turn the TV over if I can take the car.

It's a long time since the plants and animals we pipe out of the North Sea have been alive!

I think that's probably a good thing. :eek:

The Old Tolbooth
You bassas:rolleyes: I just filled my fan full of vegetable oil and it just conked out:mad: You can't trust anyone on those forums any more;)

Ha ha!! Had a wee chuckle at that one Boo, I honestly thought the guy was winding me up, no wonder he looked miffed when I laughed at him!! :unsure:

Seems like he was right enough after all, however if the warranty thing is true then I cant use it for another 2 years, bammers get you all ways ffs!! :confused:

portobellojambo1
Ha ha!! Had a wee chuckle at that one Boo, I honestly thought the guy was winding me up, no wonder he looked miffed when I laughed at him!! :unsure:

Seems like he was right enough after all, however if the warranty thing is true then I cant use it for another 2 years, bammers get you all ways ffs!! :confused:

I prefer to get a smoked sausage supper and eat it on the bus. ;)

The Old Tolbooth
I prefer to get a smoked sausage supper and eat it on the bus. ;)

But is the bus run on vegetable oil? :rolleyes:

Boaby Ewing

Sssshhhhh, there'll be rioting on the streets of Glasgow if this ever gets out. The price of chippies will spiral out of control.

This works so well that it's causing a worldwide food shortage.

So much farmland has now been converted from wheat and rice to biofuels that there isn't enough food to feed the planet anymore and that's why the price of wheat and rice has rocketed recently.

So for us to run a deisel on 17p-a-litre cooking oil means that thousands of people on the other side of the world have nowt to eat.

This works so well that it's causing a worldwide food shortage.

So much farmland has now been converted from wheat and rice to biofuels that there isn't enough food to feed the planet anymore and that's why the price of wheat and rice has rocketed recently.

So for us to run a deisel on 17p-a-litre cooking oil means that thousands of people on the other side of the world have nowt to eat.

Thats an ?ber assumption.

The Old Tolbooth

What I would like to know is, who was brave enough to pour some into their diesel tank in the first place to see if it worked or not, and what else did they try first!

chester copperpot
What I would like to know is, who was brave enough to pour some into their diesel tank in the first place to see if it worked or not, and what else did they try first!

I p**sed into my fuel tank after a heavy night on the Strongbow, the car went like a rocket. On the back of a towtruck to the garage.

The Old Tolbooth
I p**sed into my fuel tank after a heavy night on the Strongbow, the car went like a rocket. On the back of a towtruck to the garage.

Why do I believe you :D

Archived