Any golfers answer this one?!?!?

Mr Sifter

A mate of mine is a golfer..........Im not tho!

He mentioned to me the other night that he has heard of a 9 hole course in Edinburgh when you can go round with an 'oval' ball. Can anyone confirm this?

Seemingly you can go round the course with either a normal ball, or the slightly oval one. He's been told that it can take up to FOUR hours to go round the 9 holes with the oval ball!!!!:eek:

Anyone golfers out there know what he's talking about? Also, can anyone out there confirm why you would want to do this? is it meant to improve your game or something, or is it simply just for a laugh?

Cheers

I think he may mean that you can play Musselburgh using old fashioned equipment from the 1800's. I'm not sure if you can still do it but they used to do it as a publicity event as they claim to be the oldest course still in existence.

Na, I dont think its that mate, unless the "old" balls are indeed oval.

It was defo an oval ball. Thats all I know tho!

I'll mention your suggestion to him tho, might be exactly what he was on about. Cheers Taz!

Think I've seen this on TV before, means you can hit the balls further and more accurately I think. There's courses in Japan (I think) dedicated to it and instead of putting the ball into a hole you chip it into a net..

Cheers for the links lads.

So whats the deal then? Can you visit ANY public course in Edinburgh and play with these, or is it only one specific course in the toon?

If it can take 4 hours for a 9 holer, I cannie see any auld course letting you use them eh? I've googled away but cannie see anything within edinburgh......

Incidentally, he was talking about the fact that you are meant to play with them as you normally would with a round ball.....until you get to the green. Seemingly from there on, you can place them so they are facing the general direction of the hole. Again........it could be keech tho......

:)

conn artist

there was something about this new version of golf on BBC sport last saturday. there are only a few courses in the UK offering it. every shot is played of a tee and you chip into a net which can be swivled round depending on the direction you are approaching from. looks a bit more fun to the non golfers but dont think serious golfers would bother trying it.

Must only be certain courses allowing it as you have to get it into a net to complete the hole.. seems a bit naff to me :confused:

Rory B Bellows

It's big in New Zealand this Golfcross thing as it cost less to maintain a 'course' ie no greens etc and like someone said above you need to hit the mini rugby ball thing through posts into a net. You can hit some crazy swerve shots (on purpose) by teeing it up different ways but personally I thinks it looks p*sh...

Commander Harris

only course I've seen is down near dumfries. pretty sure there must be something closer to here though.

Surely it would be murder to putt.

You don't putt, instead you chip the ball into a net.

Archived