old time football

Sharpie

In my illustrious career as a football player I carried out my chosen sport in such illustrious stadiums as Gyle Park, Saughton Park, Ferry Road at the gasworks, and home ground at Nelsons Park now the site of the Commonwealth Pool. A few glasses of wine some reminiscing with the wife, and a few moments alone to think of the past. I was in the Polis, played with Southside Police in Midweek Amateurs on Wednesday. I was a graceful six foot and a two hundred and ten pound svelte athlete, with a love for pints of beer. My football highlight was going on duty at Tynecastle, and having Freddie Glidden ask one of the Hearts forwards how would you like every week to have to run into a centre half built like that, accompanied by much laughter.

I played right back, my job was stop the opposing left winger from making passes or crosses to his other four forwards. I was also expected to make tackles in such a way as to get the ball to my supporting half back or winger. Some time the tackles were full bodied and quite heavy, without any malice, it was normal after such t o say, "are you a'right winger". I just wonder now, in this era of such vitriol against other supporters, does it escalate into team sports or at least amongst ourselves is it still just a game and we really don't want to hurt someone.

Archived