Sat 16 May 1998 Scottish Cup Final Heart Of Midlothian 2 Rangers 1

Hearts Heritage

Hearts Heritage

See our special Page here

You can read the reports from the game.

THIS was the game in which Hearts finally gave up their addiction to lost causes. An aversion to bagging the game's glittering prizes, which has haunted the Edinburgh club since 1962, ended against Rangers at ten to five on Saturday with a momentous change of fortune.

And Photos from the game and the weekend.

Stuart Lyon

Thank you for this pleasant reminder which has lifted some of the gloom presently surrounding the Jam Tarts. I was too young to have gone to the 56 game but I remember my dad coming home a bit drunk and the bottom falling out of his paper carrier bag on the stairs leading-up to the house and his carry-out smashing. He couldn't have given a monkey's.

I was at the next 3 finals Hearts lost and attended the 98 game with my 9 year old son who unfortunately didn't appreciate the significance as much as me and my mates. A very happy day indeed. Thanks again 12august1893 AKA London Hearts.

It was a great day

1. We won something, first meaningful thing in my life.

2. I put a ?5 bet on at Parkhead for Hearts to win 2-1 and wee Micky to score the first goal. I got 80-1. Had to to wait until monday for my winnings mind.

3. At half time I bluffed my way into an executive lounge and demolished a dozen pies and sausage rolls.

4. Got chucked out of my local in Livingston as I wouldn't take my Hearts top off in a pub full of Huns.

Bumped into S Adam in Dalry Rd about 2ish on Sunday morning - he was clutching a huge bottle of champers and he hugged and kissed us like only the French can do. That moment made me realise what a special club we are.

Drylaw Hearts
and a great birthday present

For me also.

Infact it was easily the best ever.

PresidentRomanov

Best day of my life, there's nothing else that can happen to me that'll make me feel like I did that day.

Even though I'm a Rangers fan :P

Best day of my life - by a LONG LONG way.

Cant believe its been ten years already though!! Can remember it like it was just yesterday.

Such a special day - the kind of which we'll probably never see the likes again.

Mid Calder Jambo

Mrs Mid Calder was 40 that day. She is 50 today. Happy Birthday Mrs MC. It was a day to cherish for the rest our lives.

The Real Maroonblood
Mrs Mid Calder was 40 that day. She is 50 today. Happy Birthday Mrs MC. It was a day to cherish for the rest our lives.

There will be no excuse forgetting her birthday.

10 years to the day... had just turned 13 few days before, but can still remember the day.

Glad we won it in 06, so I could celebrate in style as I was a bit older ;) Was 21 3 days before that final, one of the drunkest best weeks of my life :)

The Real Maroonblood
It was a brilliant day. Might dig out the old Sunday papers for a read again. :)

Thinking much the same.

I actually recorded the game from the BBC which I wouldn't normally do but I sure am glad I did on this occassion. Transferred it in on to DVD which I think I will watch.

I was 14 years old at the 98' Cup Final, my first cup final and the best day of my life. I remember everything about that day, from climbing up to the 2nd back row of the huge Parkhead stand, the 2 goals, the last 10 minutes feeling like half an hour, being in ecstacy at the final whistle, being sad that Robbo never got on - even for one touch, delighted for poor Lockie as he lifted it with Fulton on his crutches, tears as the wee man lifted the trophy and seeing how much it meant to him.

What a day! I actually used the experience to write my Standard Grade English paper almost a year later, I got a 1.

flecktimus

Remember going to toilets late in the second half,there where hundreds of jambos there who couldn't bare to watch the end of the game.

I DID:107years:

was only 7 but a can remember it all greatest day ever. that when your proud to be a jambo and makes you realises that we are a very special club and these days will come back again. think am going to watch the dvd at 3

I've recalled tales of my crippling nerves before and all the way through the 1998 final so I won't go into detail once again. I was so nervous I didn't celebrate the first goal as it just became all too real at that point and there was now something to throw away, that pretty much sums up my feelings during the match.

Just looking at the London Hearts site, can't believe Gary Naysmith was only 19 years old at the time. For such a young lad in an absolutely massive game he put in one helluva performance. As most of them did.

Although we obviously don't care now but it was a rank game, as I have noticed after watching the entire thing 15 times over :). But JJ got his tactics absolutely spot on. In fact, had McCann and Fulton (well, bit harsh considering the first minute run but he didn't pass it as well as he could) had better games, which we all know they were capable of in that season, we really could have murdered them.

Regardless, brilliant and still the best day of my life until the birth of a child or a wedding day... or when we win the league. Although the latter is probably the only one that can replace 16/5/98 at the top spot ;)

I was sixteen but I wish up most if the weekend pished. Saw a crowd running down McLeod St. at one point and followed them to find an even bigger crowd shaking a taxi with Stephane Adam in it.

I had lost my voice by the Sunday, remember that my mates thought I was taking the ****.

Much, much, much, much,much much better than 2006!!

Nelly Terraces

The last 10minutes of that game felt like 10 hours.

Greatest day to be a Hearts fan without doubt. Missed the 1st goal due to a mix up about where to meet a mate with the tickets, didn't matter though, saw the one that mattered. Roastin hot weekend as well, just to cap things off.

I've recalled tales of my crippling nerves before and all the way through the 1998 final so I won't go into detail once again. I was so nervous I didn't celebrate the first goal as it just became all too real at that point and there was now something to throw away, that pretty much sums up my feelings during the match.

Just looking at the London Hearts site, can't believe Gary Naysmith was only 19 years old at the time. For such a young lad in an absolutely massive game he put in one helluva performance. As most of them did.

Although we obviously don't care now but it was a rank game, as I have noticed after watching the entire thing 15 times over :). But JJ got his tactics absolutely spot on. In fact, had McCann and Fulton (well, bit harsh considering the first minute run but he didn't pass it as well as he could) had better games, which we all know they were capable of in that season, we really could have murdered them.

Regardless, brilliant and still the best day of my life until the birth of a child or a wedding day... or when we win the league. Although the latter is probably the only one that can replace 16/5/98 at the top spot ;)

Naysmith was immense that whole season, I was gutted when he left and I remember thinking he'll maybe come back and finish his career with us.

Don't think that'll happen now though

Gavsy Van Gaverson

I had just turned 18 on the 14th May, it was a great few days.

Hard to believe that it is already 10 years ago.

Great memories.

PapaShango

Was a cracking day, had just turned 18 and was hammered at the game, seemed to sober up when Mickey stroked the penalty in tho.

Cant believe its been 10 years, in that time ive had 2 kids, 1 marriage and a divorce!! No done too bad!!:P

I was 9 at the time. I'd been a season ticket holder for a few years previous, and I even understood how it felt always being the bridesmaid. I remember every detail of the 96/97 coca-cola cup final, as it was known then, and being devastated when we lost it (it's still one of the best games of football I've ever been to mind).

I remember the 16th May 1998 so well - you could sense that this day was different to the rest (exact same as the Hibs semi-final). After two bitter cup final defeats to Rangers the previous season, I question why I and indeed many other Hearts fans were so optimistic. You could put it down to our tremendous season, but that, as normally fell away the nearer we got to the final.

We got the bus from Waverley, it was an old LRT one and we had to sit down stairs as the top was packed. I remember the heat being incredible, tropical even and as we sat on the M8, I was just wanting to get there.

Although only 9 years old, I too knew the refereeing bias that did and still does exist in this country. I couldn't believe that we got a dubious penalty. When that when in, I remember just going mental and my dad telling me to calm down "there's 89 minutes left" . When Adam scored that's when we knew we had something that could only be thrown away in a spectacular form, that only Hearts seem to be able to do.

I was worried when the first Rangers goal went it, but could still sense it was our day. As previous posters have mentioned though, those last ten minutes seemed an age. We were sitting in the far away corner from the Hearts goal and it just looked like we had 12 players in the box and they were firing away.

When Ally McCoist went down, I remember thinking "here we go" - I think it went through every Jambos mind. Rangers score a penalty and go on to win in extra time, and we would once again drown in spectacular failure. When I realised it was only a free kick, it felt like we had scored another goal. As the seconds ticked away after I remember continually looking at my dad's watch. It seemed like time had stopped, and we would never get to lift the trophy.

When the final whistle finally went, I remember waiting for us to lift the trophy before I celebrated. As I said, I was only 9 but knew how cruel the Scottish game can be and that something would arise that would mean we never won it. When Cameron and Locke lifted the trophy, I just though "They can't take it off us now".

It was truly a remarkable day, something that live with me for a lifetime and hopefully beyond.

Football fans go through a hell of a lot, spend **** loads of money and can be depressed for a week, simply down to a bounce of the ball. But it's moments like that, that make it all worthwhile. Moments like that which you wouldn't give back for anything.

Thank you, Hearts.

chester copperpot

That day was like a dream for me. Met early doors for a spot of breakfast, boarded the train through to Glasgow for a few refreshments.

Toddled off to the game quite merry, cannot remember much about the game, apart from the fact that it seemed to take forever. Was up to that point the greatest day of my life. Only surpassed with my kids being born.

Had just started dating a young lady (now the wife) and told her to pop round to mine's after she had finished her shift in the pub. I didn't drink anymore that day, as I couldn't afford not to take in everything that happened on Gorgie that night. I didn't need alcohol, was absolutely buzzing with sheer adrenaline. Anyway, went home, crashed out, didn't hear the doorbell that night as I was in such a deep sleep, woke up sunday morning with the most rested nights sleep I think I have ever had in my life. The monkey was off our backs, we could enjoy this. And I did.

There isnt a Hibby alive that has these memories.BTW Toggie as your the same age as my twin laddies I,ll not be as hard on you in future.

Dr Ian Malcolm

Remember when McCoist went down and I thought Young had given a pen (so did a lot of the huns seeing as they started jumping about). I burst in to tears. Then noticed bg Gilles lining up a wall and thinking he's either taking trying to save a pen to extremes or its just a free kick.

Was only ten but I'd probably have still started greeting if I was 100.

shaun.lawson

Half time. How were you feeling? Confident? Nervous? Convinced that our lead couldn't last?

There isnt a Hibby alive that has these memories.BTW Toggie as your the same age as my twin laddies I,ll not be as hard on you in future.

Two twin laddies my age...they didn't go to Craigmount did they?

shaun.lawson

Five minutes left. McCoist's pulled one back, he's charging towards the box, he's brought down...

shaun.lawson

But Willie Young gives a free kick!

Only seconds to go... are 36 years of waiting almost at an end?

shaun.lawson

Frantic last ditch challenge by Weir... the fans can hardly breathe, never mind look...

carnockjambo

I got married that year, we won the cup and the cabbage got relegated. Like Champange a vintage year. My 8 year old daughters a ST now and she was at Hampden 2006 and at the CL/Uefa games last season too. On Sunady at Robbies Testimonial she was asking all the questions about 1998. Does anyone know were i can get a DVD of the game?.

shaun.lawson

I had tears in my eyes when reading that ten years ago: lyrical, evocative brilliance. How I miss Kenny's reports - what was so refreshing about them was they were so objective, searingly so at times. Whatever happened to him anyway?

Commander Harris
I had tears in my eyes when reading that ten years ago: lyrical, evocative brilliance. How I miss Kenny's reports - what was so refreshing about them was they were so objective, searingly so at times. Whatever happened to him anyway?

indeed, excellent stuff.

had tears in my eyes re-reading it!

shaun.lawson

He's blown the whistle. Jim Jefferies, Billy Brown and John Robertson embrace on the touchline; the fans look around in disbelief; even the Rangers supporters seem pleased for us somehow. We've done it.

Prince Buaben

Pic never wokred

What a great month may 1998 was

"Hearts won the cup and the hibs went down"

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

And now the celebrations could truly begin: the silly hats and stupid wigs, players donning an unlikely confusion of flags, scarves, jerseys and other paraphernalia which - given the temperature inside that green and white cauldron - might have made even Dickie Bird baulk. We even forgave the ludicrous tan lounge suits and shoes foisted upon the squad men, who broke the shackles of the SFA's finest in the tunnel to join their exhausted team-mates for the on-field party.

And we joined in, how we joined in, hugging complete strangers, giving and receiving congratulations almost as if it had been we who had converted the vital penalty, fired home the clinching second or made the oh-so crucial last-ditch tackle. And maybe in a sense we did deserve all that self-congratulation, for there is little doubt that we all kicked every ball.

And then, after what seemed like an eternity, there it was on the podium, gleaming silver in the sun, the antique trophy that was the object of all our desires. Fulton and Locke were the first to take delivery, wrenching the pot from Jack McGinn's hands to the acclaim of the massed maroon ranks in front of them. Thirteen times we cheered as the cup was held aloft by each of the players in turn, but we were holding back, merely rehearsing for the loudest cheer of the day, as the best Hearts player of his generation, one of the best of all time, finally came forward to fulfill the dream and receive the award he has coveted for so long.

When John Robertson finally raised the Scottish Cup with his right-hand, it seemed that the burden of disappointment and the weight of expectation we've all carried since that day at Dens 12 years ago simply fell away, to be replaced by the calm realisation that we were winners at last. As we congaed out of the stadium, heading for the mother of all parties back in sunny Gorgie, we knew that supporting Hearts would never be quite the same again.

That would bring a tear to a glass eye. :)

Will have a drink or two (or three) for the legends tonight!

scottishguy
And now the celebrations could truly begin: the silly hats and stupid wigs, players donning an unlikely confusion of flags, scarves, jerseys and other paraphernalia which - given the temperature inside that green and white cauldron - might have made even Dickie Bird baulk. We even forgave the ludicrous tan lounge suits and shoes foisted upon the squad men, who broke the shackles of the SFA's finest in the tunnel to join their exhausted team-mates for the on-field party.

And we joined in, how we joined in, hugging complete strangers, giving and receiving congratulations almost as if it had been we who had converted the vital penalty, fired home the clinching second or made the oh-so crucial last-ditch tackle. And maybe in a sense we did deserve all that self-congratulation, for there is little doubt that we all kicked every ball.

And then, after what seemed like an eternity, there it was on the podium, gleaming silver in the sun, the antique trophy that was the object of all our desires. Fulton and Locke were the first to take delivery, wrenching the pot from Jack McGinn's hands to the acclaim of the massed maroon ranks in front of them. Thirteen times we cheered as the cup was held aloft by each of the players in turn, but we were holding back, merely rehearsing for the loudest cheer of the day, as the best Hearts player of his generation, one of the best of all time, finally came forward to fulfill the dream and receive the award he has coveted for so long.

When John Robertson finally raised the Scottish Cup with his right-hand, it seemed that the burden of disappointment and the weight of expectation we've all carried since that day at Dens 12 years ago simply fell away, to be replaced by the calm realisation that we were winners at last. As we congaed out of the stadium, heading for the mother of all parties back in sunny Gorgie, we knew that supporting Hearts would never be quite the same again.

That would bring a tear to a glass eye. :)

Will have a drink or two (or three) for the legends tonight!

What you mean would,it bloody well has,great we artcicle but what a bloody weekend.

AMAZING

The Old Tolbooth
The last 10minutes of that game felt like 10 hours.

Greatest day to be a Hearts fan without doubt. Missed the 1st goal due to a mix up about where to meet a mate with the tickets, didn't matter though, saw the one that mattered. Roastin hot weekend as well, just to cap things off.

I didn't even watch the last ten minutes mate, I couldn't make the game due to work commitments and money problems at the time so watched it in my hun mates house with another 5 of them, and 2 Celtic fans.

As soon as Rangers scored I walked out the house and placed my head in my hands thinking "here we go again ffs". His house was part of an old railway bridge and I was looking over the bridge thinking that if those bassas score again I'm throwing myself off it!

The tw@ts cheered :eek: to wind me up and I was almost suicidal as I thought they had equalised, how cruel!! However, one of the Celtic fans looked round the door and told me it was still 2-1. :dribble:

I was apparently thrown out of and banned from 3 pubs in the town that night, once for wearing my Hearts top, and twice for being too drunk, I was also spotted halfway up a lampost swinging my scarf and belting out the Hearts song, by 2 clients of mine :confused:

Magic day that, fair puts a lump in yer throat thinking about it. :)

Hearts Heritage

We've just been for a big slap up lunch.

Drew 10 Years on The Champagne Bar St Pancras on our way up for the Gretna game!!!

cup5.jpg

PS you can red 56 pre and post match reports here

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/mrep/19980516.htm

Hearts ended 35 years of under-achievement today when they lifted the Tennents Scottish Cup to spark a night of celebrations in the capital.

THIS was the game in which Hearts finally gave up their addiction to lost causes. An aversion to bagging the game's glittering prizes, which has haunted the Edinburgh club since 1962, ended against Rangers at ten to five on Saturday with a momentous change of fortune.

AN UNBREAKABLE spirit has at last been rewarded. The Scottish Cup was won by the Hearts players but merited, above all, by supporters who, in many cases, were not even born when the club last lifted an honour, back in 1962.

AT LAST! Hearts carried the Cup back to the capital after a titanic struggle against Rangers.

And after a season in which Jim Jefferies pushed the big two all the way, the Hearts manager finally got the pay-off he was looking for.

THE parade that no-one dared talk about, for fear of cursing yet another Scottish Cup final, at last became a reality yesterday as the sun beat down on Edinburgh Castle.

Just a few hundred yards down the historic streets, Jim Jefferies' own history-makers gathered outside St Giles' Cathedral, where, embedded in the cobble stones, is the Heart of Midlothian, which inspired the club's name.

Archived