England - Anyone follow them at Cricket?

chester copperpot

chester copperpot

I dont know why I do it, but I always find myself following England at cricket.

Anyone else. I guess I can trace it back to the time I was down at Headingly in 99/00ish, and was opening a call centre in Leeds and was taken to hospitality at Headingly and had a cracking day out. Wanted to hate the English that day, but had a brilliant day, got complimented at how good Gavin Hamilton was for a jock (Scottish Cricketer) and I guess I've just by default enjoyed their test matches.

Anyone else?

Ray Winstone

Ye I tend to want England to win at Test matches.

Probably because it is about as close to a "British" test team as we are going to get - as they are allowed to nick the better players from Scotland and Ireland and they Cricket Union also incorporates Wales.

Some people find it unbearable to watch cricket in general - which is understandable, but if you enjoy it, then its very enjoyable and relaxing to watch with a couple of cold ones.

chester copperpot
Ye I tend to want England to win at Test matches.

Probably because it is about as close to a "British" test team as we are going to get - as they are allowed to nick the better players from Scotland and Ireland and they Cricket Union also incorporates Wales.

Some people find it unbearable to watch cricket in general - which is understandable, but if you enjoy it, then its very enjoyable and relaxing to watch with a couple of cold ones.

The one and only test match that I've ever been able to attend was just superb. England cricket have it sorted. They really do.

Beer/fans/a good laugh/no violence.

Commander Harris

yup, always want England to do well in the Cricket. Like I said on another thread, I think it's the absense of any kind of rivalry due to the lack of a top class Scottish team that probably makes me more inclined to support them when I can't bring myself to do the same in other sports.

chester copperpot
yup, always want England to do well in the Cricket. Like I said on another thread, I think it's the absense of any kind of rivalry due to the lack of a top class Scottish team that probably makes me more inclined to support them when I can't bring myself to do the same in other sports.

Pretty much sums it up for me too. :)

Depends who they are playing...

Would say I'm more a fan of watching good cricket and theirs times where England dont play good exciting cricket.

They have changed recently but did go through a phase of being boring and having no bite to there game... that to me shouldnt be supported.

But they do have a little exciting streak to them now players like peterson and Freddy even Trescothic when he was on form.

Have always supported England at cricket. I think Commander Harris's comment re no rivalry is probably spot on.

K1874M's comment re watching good cricket is true as well. I must admit to faltering a bit after all the hype about them winning the Ashes 3 years ago, but I think humility has returned.

Nelly Terraces

Off to The Oval and Headingley this year for a bit of leather on willow and lager against liver action. Can't wait. Cricket rules. The BBC text commentary is the absolute nuts when you're at work!

Cheers. Off to London for the FA cup final now, might actually get a bit of cricket action on Sunday at Lords. Get in.

Yeah I always support England in the tests and one dayers(as long as they aint playing Scotland - but then we usually lose).

Its on my to do list to see in a test match at some point, these things can be pricey though but definately going to do it.

flecktimus

Started watching Cricket in 1984 during the Miners Strike(Had nothing better to do).

Watching the mighty West Indies thump England got my interest and since then have been quite a few test matches.

Went to watch England v Australia at Trent Bridge, got absolutely pished, everybody started to fight amongst themselves. What a day out that was:)

Its actually my ambition to go to Australia for a full Ashes series

Jeez, I am so in the minority here, whilst I have no dislike for the England Cricket side, I still want them uncerimoniously humped at every single occasion, however having said that you do get a good crack with them when they come to Edinburgh. Steve Harmison was a good laugh on Sunday, and hopefully Darren Gough will be playing for Yorkshire this weekend.

I have to be honest. I want them to get humped every time they play.

It may be cricket but its still ingerland.:)

Yeah I always support England in the tests and one dayers(as long as they aint playing Scotland - but then we usually lose).

Its on my to do list to see in a test match at some point, these things can be pricey though but definately going to do it.

Test matches arent expensive compared to football mate.... apart from the booze.

Chester™

Since I started seriously watching cricket in the early 90s, I too have sided with England when they play. IMO, its more to do with the fact they have been pretty poor and when they lost they put their hands up and say "we're pesh!" unlike other sporting sections of England. Ive now been going down to Headingley for four years and will be there for a fifth in July. Cost is pretty reasonable and it gives me the chance to catch up with some mates I dont regularly see.

Some of my mates dont get it though and I doubt they ever will. But it doesnt really bother me!

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Always support England at cricket.

Like everybody else says, no rivalry.

I guess, at the top level, they are our local team.

Denny Crane

Australia for me - and before anyone shouts 'glory-hunter', this affair began in the mid-80s when they were hopeless (Lillee, Marsh & Chappell had retired plus a large percentage of top names were banned for going on rebel tours to South Africa) and getting pumped by England home and away. Plus the West Indies were top dogs back then and the bragging by their fans at school got on my wick (would like to see what they have to say these days mind).

My mate loves cricket and follows England. Don't know why. I put it down to him being a fud.

He is always singing songs about Micahel Vaughan and others.

ToadKiller Dog

Will back England in cricket against everybody except the Windies ,Grew up watching playing the game ,Viv Richards a sporting hero of mine ,he would destroy todays bowling attacks.

Dont like the Aussies because of there over the top sledging and shouting at every opportunity the top Windies sides of the past scared the batsmen not the umpires.

Harry Palmer

Have to say I thought cricket was dull as the dullest thing you could find, up until a few years ago. I have a good friend from India who plays cricket for Haddington(!) but got me interested enough to follow it and I would ask him for the scores. I got up early(or stayed up late!) to watch the last Ashes, didn't want England to win at all and enjoyed every minute.

However, I would like to spend some time taking in a Test Match as I think the whole atmosphere would be a new experience from footie. However, is there any soon? And where(directions!)?

'I don't like cricket.....

Was in Manchester Old Trafford in the 80's and watched a one-day test against the West Indies (or some one ). The Sun burnt us all to shreds but the atmosphere was brilliant' no one cared - it was a fab day out. The result was secondary to what went on .

I have no dislike for the England Cricket side

As you are/were the proud owner of an England cricket top, your statement above was completely unnecessary. ;)

portobellojambo1
I dont know why I do it, but I always find myself following England at cricket.

Anyone else. I guess I can trace it back to the time I was down at Headingly in 99/00ish, and was opening a call centre in Leeds and was taken to hospitality at Headingly and had a cracking day out. Wanted to hate the English that day, but had a brilliant day, got complimented at how good Gavin Hamilton was for a jock (Scottish Cricketer) and I guess I've just by default enjoyed their test matches.

Anyone else?

I don't mind watching cricket Andy, much prefer the one day limited overs and 20/20 stuff, where they have to score runs quickly, than the 5 day stuff, which can get a bit tedious at times, but I wouldn't say I follow England, or England's results in particular.

I tend to watch most sport that is on television, so it doesn't matter who is playing, and what the outcome is, it doesn't affect HMFC, so I don't give a hoot who wins or loses, just as long as it is entertaining.

I only ever played the game once, at school, and got hit on the thumb by the ball when batting (school players had limited protection back then) and an almighty barney developed. The teacher informed me I might be better sticking to football and rugby (which I also played at school) as cricket clearly wasn't for me.

Liked West Indies since the days of Clive Lloyd - in fact also like Lancs thanks to him.

Only prefer England when they're playing against the arrogant nations - Oz & SA.

Archived