Naming your car - is it ever acceptable?

I P Knightley

I P Knightley

I think all of our family cars, when I was a kid, had a name, usually just a straightforward boy or girl name.

Only two of mine have ever had names, one courtesy of my wife and once I had a Honda I couldn't resist calling Henry.

A mate's just named his car "Enola" as it's got OMD in the registration and he's gay. I think this is acceptable.

What does JKB say? Any more instances of when it's just about bearable or is it more widespread than I fear (in which case, I may need to reconsider my forum membership)?

Geoff Kilpatrick

For females who are girly girls and haven't a scooby about cars, maybe. Otherwise, no.

For females who are girly girls and haven't a scooby about cars, maybe. Otherwise, no.

That must be me then!

All my cars have had names with the current one called Reginald and my previous cars called Yoshi, Giuseppe and Wesley respectively.

My last 3 cars have been named. I had a Cav SRI and the wife called it pubes, can't remember why. Then had a punto which was named chuggie. That was cause my daughter loved the kids programme brum.

now have an Astra which the daughter called Louis, as it is blue, hence bluey Louis. In my defence, i have never named a car

Definitely acceptable. Those that don't think it is are just boring.

I only started naming mine a few years ago though and due to East London's failed attempts to destroy my then Renault Clio I named it Tank. Despite being a Renault Clio Tank was a good car. My last car was smaller and was called Tiny Tank which inevitably become Tiny.

blondejamtart

Can't say I do - but strangely enough my hubby does - current one is called Lizzie (because of the registration) and before that we had Suzy the Surf. Daughter currently has Stevie the Swift and her previous car was called Bertha (no idea why). I blame her father...mind you, kids take all their weird habits after their dads.. ;) My Mini is just called.....the Mini!

Hannibal Lecter

My brother has named every car he has but then again he is just strange. I often wonder if the hospital gave us the wrong baby :lol:

I don't drive, so can I comment?

I will anyway. Unless you are a lassie, then it is wrong.

jimmyjambo

Mines is called 'Pieceofshit'.

:rofl:

cringemaking people who give their car names

Mines is called 'Pieceofshit'.

Haha brilliant.

It's an acceptable thing to do.

Nah, it's be like naming a spoon or something.

Unacceptable.

Though I had an M reg Fiat uno in 6th year at school with faded red paintwork and blue and yellow checked seats. Me and my mates called it Winston after the boy in still game.

Guest C00l K1d

I remember when i was about 6 i said goodbye to my dads car and waved at it.

It just sat there though.

My current car ended up with the name piglet because it is small and pig-ugly.

I call mine The Pippo cos it's purple and looks like a pygmy Hippo. Giving them real persons names is not acceptable though IMO

grantaitchie8

I call mine "the car". I've named every car I've had "the car".

You could take a leaf out my book! My first car was a fiesta, and so I named it Andres Iniesta! You could be Iniesta the 2nd or something along those lines... Or you could be boring... :uhoh2:

Kalamazoo Jambo

Nah, it's be like naming a spoon or something.

What's wrong with that, like?

Chris Benoit

The wife's is called 'the Astra' mine is called 'the Mondeo' although the wee yin calls it 'daddies big red car'. Tried telling her it's not that big and it's maroon :smuggy:

Calling your car something like Speedmobile or Shitebag to amuse the kids is alright. A grown man calling his car Lolita isn't.

Calling your car something like Speedmobile or Shitebag to amuse the kids is alright. A grown man calling his car Lolita isn't.

A grown man naming anything Lolita is pretty ******* creepy.

lolita3.jpg

Unless your name is Nabakov.

My first car was called the bitch. Sometimes the bitch wouldn't start.

When it did start we would all go for a ride in the bitch... Etc etc

Current car reg ends in SUX.. therefore by default it is called SUXY.

There things write themselves sometimes...

folk that call their car "she" :facepalm:

as in "she's a great wee runner"

Indeed. Sterilisation is the only answer here.

Angry Haggis

My mate uses to have and silver Niassan something or other......it was a piece of shite.

He used to refer to it though as 'The Silver Bomber'.

A bomb was about all it was good for.

susanjambo

No no no. And don't put eyelashes on it either, even if you are a girly girl.

Oh dear that'll be me then I've got the eyelashes round the headlights ! My sons pal is a mechanic and fixes my car, one day he came to pick it up for its mot and had to drive down Leith Walk to the garage. He stopped at the lights and had some tidy wee girls pointing and giggling at him. He sent a text to my son saying tell yer mum she needs to drop off her car in future am no havin burds thinkin am gay ffs :laugh4:

I named mine The Lady many years ago after too much time watching Airwolf as an impressionable child. Still sticks to this day...

Guest jonesy

My first car was nicknamed Buck (not by me, but by mates), as it had the same refined features and smooth road-holding classiness of the car John Candy drove about in Uncle Buck

After that, no, never named a car. One particularly stupid ex-girlfriend pranged her new 206 the same day she bought it. Named it 'Denton'.

Not read any posts on this thread. No need to. The answer is NO. Naming your car is the mark of a grade A winker who is devoid of any imagination or self-respect.

Just reading this thread has me thinking about what to call my next car.

andyscott82

My old Prelude was christened 'The Patriot' as it had a particularly US market interior with beige cloth and wood trim.

And I quite often talk to my cars, it's a bit daft, but it amuses me sometimes.

Angry Haggis

My old Prelude was christened 'The Patriot' as it had a particularly US market interior with beige cloth and wood trim.

And I quite often talk to my cars, it's a bit daft, but it amuses me sometimes.

Seek some professional help.

Der Kaiser

My first car was a piece of junk henceforth it was called the Falcon...

My next car was a corsa that was a horrible shade of green.....i stupidly tried to deflect grief from my work mates by saying it wasn't green it was spearmint.......my work mates called it the spearmint Rhino from then on.........never got a single stripper in it......she was surprisingly strong and I couldn't get the boot closed.

Prince Buaben

I know a fully grown man whos cars were Cleopatora the Clio and Fi the Fiesta.

:muggy:

What's wrong with that, like?

Maybe the fact that it's plain daft?

I wonder if blokes who name their cars (or spoons for that matter), have also given their knob a name?

I wonder if blokes who name their cars (or spoons for that matter), have also given their knob a name?

I'm sure that's off topic but why wouldn't you give your penis a name?

only my first car

it was called betsy niemi

betsy seemed like a good name for a car and antii niemi was my favourite player at the time.

never again have i named a car, but betsy was maroon and my first. i loved that car :(

oh and piece of shit cars?

folk that call their car "she" :facepalm:

as in "she's a great wee runner"

Sometimes when I walked past my Alfa Romeo I'd give her a wee tap and say 'nice one hen'. My Punto is ignored when I walk past him.

Sooperstar

Sir Shagaslot.

Guest C00l K1d

That Batman is a bit of a weirdo eh? Calling his car the batmobile what's that all about?

That Batman is a bit of a weirdo eh? Calling his car the batmobile what's that all about?

Yeah that's the one thing that's weird about him

Archived