The guy that wrestled the bear? Anyone?

mac

Any old goats like me who knows whatever happened to this guy? And the bear?

I think his name was Andy something.

grumpyjambo
Any old goats like me who knows whatever happened to this guy? And the bear?

I think his name was Andy something.

Andy Robins, both dead now.

Isaac Begbie

The bear was Hercules. I think it was always escaping by swimming off the island they lived on over to the mainland.:wacko:

Thanks guys, don't know why that popped in to my head, but it sparked my curiousity.

This is the best place to get useless bits of information!

Watched Andy at the Elderado on Tuesday nights many moons ago.Used to go along with my Granda who was wrestling daft.my fave was Massamboula who used to hypnotise his opponents.Great fun especially the old women at the front who used to attack the wrestlers with brollies etc.

Anyone else remember the Elderado.Dont think its come up b4

Stuart Lyon

Remember it well. Wasn't the Ghoul one of the regular wrestlers to appear along with Mick McManus (not Michelle's dad) and Jackie Pallo. George Kidd from Dundee was also usually on the bill.

My mum's friend used to run the Bellhaven B&B near the Leith end of Ferry Road and a lot of the wrestlers used to stay there when in town. she said they were all gentlemen.

grumpyjambo
Watched Andy at the Elderado on Tuesday nights many moons ago.Used to go along with my Granda who was wrestling daft.my fave was Massamboula who used to hypnotise his opponents.Great fun especially the old women at the front who used to attack the wrestlers with brollies etc.

Remember the Eldorado well, dump of a place but good entertainment.

gillie chris
Andy Robins, both dead now.

Andy Robin isnt dead he done an interview in the Sunday Mail a few weeks ago.

Used to get free tickets cause my ma owned a wee snack shop in Cockburn Street and used to put up posters in the window. Can't remember exactly what night it was, but it was always a midweek night.

Kendo Nakasaki, Jackie Pallo, Clayton Thomson, Les Kellet, Mick McManus, and two guys with blond hair who formed a tag team, are some of the characters that I remember seeing, along with Andy Robins.

Long lasting memories of buying a half dozen warm, freshly made rolls from the bakers van every night after the wrestling finished.

Andy Robin isnt dead he done an interview in the Sunday Mail a few weeks ago.

Herc is dead though.

I heard Andy Robins and his missus doing a radio interview about their career with the bear about 6 months ago. It mabe sounds a bit mushy, but it was quite entertaining. Sounds like a really nice old guy.Spoke about the escape the bear made in the Highlands which was all over the papars at the time.

the voice from above

what are you old *******s talking about?

Bear wrestling? How'd that get past health and safety?

I think I once met Andy and Hercules at the Highland Show.

Somewhere I think I have a signed copy of their book. Signed by Andy I think rather than Hercules.

Pete Seeger
Did they both not end up living near Dunblane?

Yeah, Auchterarder I think

The Doctor

I saw them in Linlithgow at the rugby club I think, maybe in the mid 80's?

Hercules was massive and it looked like Andy was struggling to control him! I just remember him shouting at the bear, trying to stop it doing doing whatever it wanted, which he couldn't really.

The 100 or so local kids trying to goad the bear into eating Andy probably didn't help.

Kendo Nakasak

was that the boy in the mask? some baddie always tried to de masking him all the time? same one?

grumpyjambo
Used to get free tickets cause my ma owned a wee snack shop in Cockburn Street and used to put up posters in the window. Can't remember exactly what night it was, but it was always a midweek night.

Kendo Nakasaki, Jackie Pallo, Clayton Thomson, Les Kellet, Mick McManus, and two guys with blond hair who formed a tag team, are some of the characters that I remember seeing, along with Andy Robins.

Long lasting memories of buying a half dozen warm, freshly made rolls from the bakers van every night after the wrestling finished.

THe Royal Brothers, Bert was the older one, cant remember the others name.

what are you old *******s talking about?

Bear wrestling? How'd that get past health and safety?

Asked what I thought was a lassie to dance (at Clouds, ground floor, not the upstairs Northern Soul poofy floor), and I think that turned to be Hercules!

Julie, if you read this, please know I meant your pal, not you, I was totally besotted with you - we could have made it work, if only you had listened to me.

jambos are go!

The blondes IIRc were Bad Boy Bobby Barnes and Adrian Street. The Royals were good guys.

Broxburn Jambo

Vic I think

Thats the chappie !

....and now that you've jogged my memory, his tag partner was Vic Faulkener.

Anyone else remember the Elderado.

Yes. I used to live in Coburg Street. :eek:

Archived