810 members have voted

1. 1. How Do You Feel About Today

• Very Happy - My Cup Floweth Over
    • Happy - It's not full But I Like The Taste
    • Content - Cup of Tea, But There's Nae Sugar
    • Unhappy - 'I Never Remember Having a Full Cup'
    • Very Unhappy - My Name is Gary Locke

:laugh:

Do you think it was her decision to release Tapping?

She has employed someone she trusts on the football front and is letting him get on with it.

I have misgivings about where all of this will end up.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would rather have Locke in place of Neilson. Clearly AB has had this planned for a while and I think she'll do a great job for Hearts.

I have misgivings about where all of this will end up.

Back in the premiership on a sound foundation.

As Ann Budge said we had been without a leader and direction for years.

We all thought we would like Brian Jackson (BDO) in charge of us when he was so confident, and with a plan

while getting us out of administration.

Ann Budge looks like the breath of fresh air the club needs

And we do have to downsize or end up like sevco.

Rudi should be signed at least short term to boost club funds

51 jersey with Skacel on the back bring it on. #kerching

Jamie MacDonald and Ryan Stevenson were on unsustainable wages for the new Hearts. I don't doubt we'd rather they stayed, Jamie in particular.

As for the toys out of the pram remainder of your response I'll not need to comment further.

I'm sorry, just laughing at someone elses opinion by my understanding is pretty childish. Anyway, I don't disagree but it doesn't change how dirty it feels considering them all taking pay cuts when we were on our knees. And I'd like to know why we couldn't sign Macdonald back up with the understanding he is sold generating the club money, unless he plans to stay in Scotland. Stevenson saying he wants to end his career with us etc and then for this to happen is pretty sore to watch and really feel for him.

In terms of it feeling very Romanovesque I meant the sudden 'rug from under your feet' aspect. I think a lot of Hearts fans just assumed Stevo and Macdonald were staying.

I said midseason I would be ecstatic if Levein was to come in but the manner that this has been done in seems so snake like, and whilst I will back him next season 100% I can't help but feel Locke - who had the trust of the youngsters, has been really shafted here, and Tbh I would prefer Locke to Neilson, Locke Knows the youngsters and has done since 2010, 4 years ago. Levein will build this club but I'm horrified in the manner that our new owner has began her reign. (Things may need to be done but you don't need to complete the process with the grace of a bull in a china shop).

On the flip side (from reading Mcgowans (ryan) twitter) I think - Hope, this has given the players the realisation of what we the fans have to go through every time one of them comes good and ****s off to rangers (Templehun) I would assume that they are feeling like they've been kicked in the balls pretty hard from hearts, and thats personally how I felt when Templeton signed for Rangers (and Mcgowan nearly signing too) and it will be how I will feel in 2015 if Holt doesn't sign a new deal to get us a fair deal.

I'm so gutted about Stevenson and Macdonald

Would rather have Locke in place of Neilson. Clearly AB has had this planned for a while and I think she'll do a great job for Hearts.

You'd wonder if Neilson was brought in at the request of Budge and CL, sort of under the radar a Trojan horse type appointment.

Bazzas right boot

I'm a bit unsure why people are so happy at this point in time?

The squad is much weaker than it was yesterday.

We have sacked our manager and replaced him with a head coach with no experience.

At this moment in time there are more questions than answers.

I might be more comfortable when other pieces of the jig- saw are put in place, but at the moment we have taken a step back.

Why? Why? Why?

YAS!!!!

I was gonna write something like this.......so glad I didn't tho ;-)

SoldierPalmer

Very happy - Ann came in and she's done a lot in a day. She obviously has a plan and she's moving forward at a pace. Very impressed with her statement it's great that the club now has a strategic football and business strategy. I'm sure Craig and Robbie will sort out the business on the park. I can't wait for the rest of the plans to unfold. Onwards and upwards. #yes :2thumbsup:

Jambos_1874

I'm very disappointed with some of the decisions that have been made today. Top of the list is seeing Jamie McDonald and Stevo depart. I understand that they're probably among the higher earners at the club but they have been instrumental I holding the squad together this season and have provided a degree of leadership on the park. Similarly, I'm disappointed that Locke isn't being given the chance to manage the team next season but I completely understand that Budge wants to bring in someone with more experience. I do find it bizarre that six of our most promising young esters have been singed up but only for a period of one year. Surely they have proven that they are up to the job by now and should therefore be given a lengthier contract, not least to allow us to capitalise on them at a later date. I understand that Budge has to make cuts and unpopular decisions but the scale and abruptness of these calls has come as a surprise. I'd be astonished if Rudi comes back now.

What I do like is the fact that Budge is completely revamping the club and setting us up for longer term success and financial security. Levein will bring stability to the club but the managerial structure is not clear at all IMO.

rossthejambo

Top of the tree for me. Great start and I'm looking forward to what happens next.

Jimmy McNulty

Happy (mostly).

-- CL am very happy with. And with re-signing the youngsters.

-- Jamie and Mark leaving I find odd (but let's wait and see who will replace them).

-- Feel bad for Gary and Billy B, but I just think that we need to start afresh.

-- Would have liked to have kept Stevo, but am not going to cry over his departure.

You'd wonder if Neilson was brought in at the request of Budge and CL, sort of under the radar a Trojan horse type appointment.

I'm a little taken aback by the speed at which things happened but completely understand the reason why it was better to get it all over and done with ASAP. No point dragging it all out.

I feel relief mostly. People have an actual plan for Hearts, a strategic plan, and it's kind of nice to see things in action like this. We knew it was going to be different.

But some of the overreaction to the news has been ridiculous. Totally ridiculous.

First of all, I am delighted to have CL back at the club. With his experience and successful track record combined with his knowledge of the club I feel he is the man to take us forward.

However, I do have question marks over the appointment of RN as head coach. I rated Robbie as a player and hold him in a high regard as a coach. But is someone with so little experience ready to make the step up? I feel we should have offered this position to Locke or somebody with a lot more experience.

I do not agree with us getting rid of so many players. Our squad was already down to the bare bones. We were starting to improve and had the nucleus of a good team. I felt we needed to add 4/5 players to the group. As it stands, not including the ground staff boys we have around 11/12 first team players (all of which are very inexperienced and the oldest being 22). How many players are we going to sign? How are they going to be able to adapt?

I'm sorry, just laughing at someone elses opinion by my understanding is pretty childish. Anyway, I don't disagree but it doesn't change how dirty it feels considering them all taking pay cuts when we were on our knees. And I'd like to know why we couldn't sign Macdonald back up with the understanding he is sold generating the club money, unless he plans to stay in Scotland. Stevenson saying he wants to end his career with us etc and then for this to happen is pretty sore to watch and really feel for him.

In terms of it feeling very Romanovesque I meant the sudden 'rug from under your feet' aspect. I think a lot of Hearts fans just assumed Stevo and Macdonald were staying.

I said midseason I would be ecstatic if Levein was to come in but the manner that this has been done in seems so snake like, and whilst I will back him next season 100% I can't help but feel Locke - who had the trust of the youngsters, has been really shafted here, and Tbh I would prefer Locke to Neilson, Locke Knows the youngsters and has done since 2010, 4 years ago. Levein will build this club but I'm horrified in the manner that our new owner has began her reign. (Things may need to be done but you don't need to complete the process with the grace of a bull in a china shop).

On the flip side (from reading Mcgowans (ryan) twitter) I think - Hope, this has given the players the realisation of what we the fans have to go through every time one of them comes good and ****s off to rangers (Templehun) I would assume that they are feeling like they've been kicked in the balls pretty hard from hearts, and thats personally how I felt when Templeton signed for Rangers (and Mcgowan nearly signing too) and it will be how I will feel in 2015 if Holt doesn't sign a new deal to get us a fair deal.

I'm so gutted about Stevenson and Macdonald

It was a ridiculously childish post from you, tantrum like. It was just daft! :laugh:

We don't know for sure what discussions took place between Levein/MacDonald and Levein/Stevenson, what if they were offered deals but turned them down? I don't know what happened in there as I was not present, what I do know is that Stevenson speaks with a forked tongue. MacDonald has behaved impeccably, he will get a club that will match his demands, no problem.

Romanovesque? Honouring a bunch of contracts but deciding not to renew them given our own financial concerns? Seems fairly sensible to me.

Your paragraph about players leaving, I actually disagree with that too. Templeton leaving was a very good deal for Hearts, I beat him no ill will.

Chester™

YAS!!!!

I was gonna write something like this.......so glad I didn't tho ;-)

:jjyay:

Overall I'm happy.

I might not agree with every decision made but hey Ho, that's life.

I'm just delighted that we have a club for these type of decisions to be made.

I'm a bit unsure why people are so happy at this point in time?

The squad is much weaker than it was yesterday.

We have sacked our manager and replaced him with a head coach with no experience.

Manager wasn't sacked, nobody was sacked.

We have not renewed the contract of an inexperienced manager and his hoofball assistant, and replaced them with Craig Levein.

The squad may be weaker now due to not renewing a few players contracts, but we are still to sign new players and appoint new coaches.

Today is just the start and not the time to make assumptions about the future.

Dannie Boy - It's been an unbelievable day! No Hearts fan could have seen this happening today. Feel sorry for Locke and genuinely believe he will be a good manager one day. Also very surprised at Jamie Mac being released, but with these decisions being made there must be a clear plan in place. Who knows maybe Kello might return?

Same here, as a statement of intent it was exemplary.

This. At long last we have someone in charge with a clear business strategy who isn't scared to make difficult or unpopular decisions.

siegementality

The good news is that in 5 years we'll have a say in the decisions as a few on her first day sucked!

Love it. I think here statement about broken hearts and what needed to be done going forward spoke volumes.

Great to see some decisive action been taken no matter how much pain it may cause early on.

Love it. I think here statement about broken hearts and what needed to be done going forward spoke volumes.

Great to see some decisive action been taken no matter how much pain it may cause early on.

sound foundations starting to be built, every single person released today could be described as average at best. a very encouraging 1st from the new regime, unquestionably............

It was a ridiculously childish post from you, tantrum like. It was just daft! :laugh:

We don't know for sure what discussions took place between Levein/MacDonald and Levein/Stevenson, what if they were offered deals but turned them down? I don't know what happened in there as I was not present, what I do know is that Stevenson speaks with a forked tongue. MacDonald has behaved impeccably, he will get a club that will match his demands, no problem.

Romanovesque? Honouring a bunch of contracts but deciding not to renew them given our own financial concerns? Seems fairly sensible to me.

Your paragraph about players leaving, I actually disagree with that too. Templeton leaving was a very good deal for Hearts, I beat him no ill will.

Not going to lie first post was Knee jerk had just heard everything after a pretty good day so was a bit pissed off. Again, your right, we don't I hope all the players find a club that will match what the ask for, I just feel bad for Macdonald, Waits 7 years being pinged about from 3rd choice to 2nd choice down to 4th then back to 2nd to finally get his shot, plays impeccably represents the club fantastically and then gets binned ? Horrible.

With my last paragraph, regardless of how good a deal it was for us (How much did we get?) i felt so let down by him, scores at annfield, on the edge of a scotland cap, probably after another season heading down south and then Rangers comes calling and pretty much sacks his entire career for an easy payday. I think this pish poor. the whole thing stunk for me.

I explained what I meant by 'romanovesque' - rug being pulled from under their feet, not Vlads tendency to be a complete knob and grudge paying them what he owes.

Hannibal Lecter

I'm on the 2nd rung heading twards the top one. The decisions have been made to allow us to move on as a club and help towards a more stable future. Surely that can only be a good thing.

Bridge of Djoum

Pretty happy overall, but confused as to why Robbie has been given head coach. Was GL not prepared to take that role? or simply not offered it?

I'm imagine the 3 senior players to be let go were among the ''high'' earners, so agree with that, but can we get a good a keeper as Jamma for less money??

We need a good deal of experienced players for the Championship next season, there are a few cloggers down there, be a good idea to have a couple of lads of a similar ilk who can show leadership and show the youngsters how not to get intimidated and pushed around.

Overall 7/10....

kingantti1874

Hard decisions but good ones and fantastic to have the sort of direction we have been missing for 20 years..

siegementality

Hard decisions but good ones and fantastic to have the sort of direction we have been missing for 20 years..

If getting rid of people provides direction then we had plenty of direction under Romanov.

siegementality

If getting rid of people provides direction then we had plenty of direction under Romanov.

siegementality

siegementality

My fecking stutter is getting worse!!!!

New beginning but did it need to start with a night of the long knives style purge? Locke and the others have stuck by this club through the worst time ever and should have been shown more respect. How many of us would want to be shown the door like that?

Back in the premiership on a sound foundation.

It?s not that long ago since the ?Gary out Brigade? in this space was in full cry.

That aside I am really pleased that Hearts who let?s not forget have just been relegated have now appointed someone of the calibre, experience and ability of Craig Levein. (IMO one of Hearts greatest players ever)

Given the opportunity, Craig will recalibrate the football side of the club from top to bottom, in a good way.

And is it my imagination or did results really improve with the arrival and influence of Robbie.

Slightly surprised that Jamie is leaving, a great shot stopper but he doesn?t command his box and makes too many mistakes. MK the warrior is a better GK.

PapaShango

This is the best strategy for the club going forward.

Thanks to Locke but there is no way he would have got us up again he just didn't cut it in my opinion. The semi was the final straw for me. Not sorry to see others leave, replacements will already have been lined up.

Guest Trapper John

The ecstasy of hearing Craig Levein had returned was tempered by sadness that two honest, decent and loyal servants like Gary Locke and Jamie MacDonald were released. While I understand and accept that the appointment of an experienced manager like Craig is necessary, the inevitability of Gary's leaving still remains painful, though I confess I believed he was not the right man to take us forward. Something big must be planned in the goalkeeping area as Levein is too smart to leave the back door untended and Gordon or Kello returning, possibly together, with a view to selling Gordon on in the future, may be likely.

I doubt Gordon or even Rudi would demand high wages. Rudi just wants to play for us and Craig Gordon wants to put himself back in the shop window. I'm intrigued to think which other players Levein has lined up.

As for the others who left today, I'd thank Billy Brown for his services but in regards to Stevenson and Hamill, despite their sacrifices in taking wage cuts, both are no more than average journeymen pros, who were probably, even with said pay drops, earning much higher wages than their talents deserved. Stevo's lack of professionalism and nous in the League Cup Semi-Final this year and Hamill's crass stupidity in getting sent off V Ross County probably summed both up perfectly. And they were the senior pro's in the team But I'm sure they'll both find clubs.

I believe we've taken two massive strides forward today; Ann Budge now in place and the appointment of Craig Levein. I'm extremely optimistic for the future.

New beginning but did it need to start with a night of the long knives style purge? Locke and the others have stuck by this club through the worst time ever and should have been shown more respect. How many of us would want to be shown the door like that?

what would you have done differently?

Like what?

New owner/boss starts and speaks to those on contracts that are about to expire and says they will not be getting renewed.

I'm pretty sure they will be getting paid till the contract ends, without having to come in to work every day.

I am happy, excited and surprised. I also feel for some of the players and coaching staff, but remember all but one were at the end of their contract, so this is normal in football, and indeed contract work.

It is a beginning of a new dawn, and I can't wait.

After the initial shock of how fast things have moved I'm in the happy camp.

How many of us would want to be shown the door like that?

When you work on a contract basis it is perfectly normal, and you should prepare on the basis it will not be renewed, especially in a case of a company changes ownership.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I'm surprised by some of the reaction or perhaps not. They have had their prospective plans in place for a long time. It is sad to see some go, particularly given the close to our season. Had this happened, in exactly the same way on March 29th no one would have cared and plenty would have said about time.

I feel particularly sorry for Gary Locke, he has shown enormous character. But this is football, this is still a sick club and now it needs surgery not sentiment. Very impressed they have hit the ground running and more so the swift action to secure some superb young talent for the season coming.

Mixed feelings tonight about the adventures at Hearts today. Some players I would also have moved on have left but also a couple of players that I thought would have deserved contract offers. I think that the coaching staff on balance had done a decent job within very tough circumstances and Combe in particular has improved Macdonald as a goalie. I am very disappointed that Levein is back - and has managed to bind himself into the club regardless of forthcoming results. And I think it is probably far too early for Neilson to take a head coach job. In addition, I presume that John Murray - who was in charge of the youth setup and academy when all the good prospects we have were brought through - is to lose most of his responsibilities there and an as yet unknown person is to be brought in. Perhaps they will not be so successful in bringing through future Patersons, Holts, Nicholsons, Walkers (and Kings!).

Another test of how today's actions will affect the future will be when the good young players are asked to sign new contracts. We know from his previous statements that Levein is not interested in loyalty - only the stepping stone career plan - but will seeing so many of their cohorts binned today in unceremonious fashion have ramifications for the chances of resigning players we want to keep?

A properly run football club run properly by a Board of Directors is a massive positive step though.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Much work to do, no time for pleasantries I'm afraid. People get real.

Archived