HEARTS face a potential ?40,000 fine

Sherlock

HEARTS face a potential ?40,000 fine from the SFA for their poor disciplinary record.

HEARTS face a potential ?40,000 fine from the Scottish Football Association for their poor disciplinary record this season, the Evening News can reveal.

Gary Glen incurred the Edinburgh club's ninth red card of the campaign against Gretna on Tuesday night, which is expected to result in hefty sanction.

The SFA warned Hearts about their players' conduct back in January following four red cards and a series of yellows during the first half of the campaign. However, five further dismissals since the turn of the year will prompt the governing body's disciplinary committee to take action.

Glen, Calum Elliot (twice), Christian Nade, Michael Stewart (twice), Eduardas Kurskis, Marius Zaliukas and Lee Wallace have all been ordered off this season.

It would be the fourth consecutive year that the SFA have meted out disciplinary punishment to Hearts. A ?5000 fine was imposed in 2005, which doubled to ?10,000 in 2006 and doubled again to ?20,000 last year. The SFA's policy of multiplying fines for repeat offenders means a ?40,000 sanction is now likely.

Drew Herbertson, head of the disciplinary department at Hampden, told the Evening News: "Hearts were warned by ourselves in January about their disciplinary record for the first half of the season between the months of August and December.

"In due course, the disciplinary committee will come to consider the disciplinary analysis for this season. At that juncture, they will take a view on the records of the clubs which come under scrutiny.

"It's entirely a matter for the committee to take a view on Hearts if they are at the wrong end of the table. What sanction is applied to the club is at the committee's discretion when it comes to repeat offenders."

Zaliukas was assessed by medical staff at Riccarton yesterday but the head knock which forced him off against Gretna is not serious. "He's fine, it wasn't a bad injury so he can go home to Lithuania now with a clean bill of health," said Stephen Frail, the interim manager.

Meanwhile, Hearts fielded a team containing mostly reserve and under-19 players yesterday in a closed-doors friendly with Queen of the South at Riccarton. The Dumfriesshire side won the game 1-0 as they continue preparations for the Scottish Cup final against Rangers.

"I was pleased with the performance of our team because it was a very young side and they were playing the Scottish Cup finalists," said Frail. "Players like Craig Sives, who has hardly played since being on loan at Dundee earlier this season, were involved so it was a worthwhile exercise."

Dr. Bapswent

Priceless.

Can the SFA get more obvious.

Rangers fans tear up Manchester, Glen gets a red card.

We get fined.

Anything happening to the huns?

I'm expecting another fine on top of this one, for having the audacity to give QotS a bounce game before the SC final.

The discipline of the players has been outrageously bad this year. The club is riven with indiscipline and fully deserves the ban.

The only player in that list who deserves any sympathy is Wallace who was trying to make a goal saving tackle. Perhaps Glen for his youthful red mist. But Stewart's nonsense to the fan/referee, Nade's hardman act, Zaliukas/Kurskis/Elliot stupidity all utterly ridiculous.

have Hibs not had 10 red cards this year??????

oh wait the are not run by V Romanov Barry Anderson GTF i know you post/read on here!!!!

So reporters are able to get a quote from the SFA about a fine for Hearts, yet all we get from them about possible corrupt referees is a website entry from GS telling us there is no problem?

Is the priority at the SFA just a tad skewed?

Is it true that Underhill has sent off 4 Hearts players this season and all since the January SFA warning? Mmmmm.

So reporters are able to get a quote from the SFA about a fine for Hearts, yet all we get from them about possible corrupt referees is a website entry from GS telling us there is no problem?

Is the priority at the SFA just a tad skewed?

Is it true that Underhill has sent off 4 Hearts players this season and all since the January SFA warning? Mmmmm.

Who did Underhill send off? Glen on Tuesday. But it was Freeland against Dundee United when Zaliukas, Stewart and Wallace were all rightly sent off.

Guest JamboRobbo
The discipline of the players has been outrageously bad this year. The club is riven with indiscipline and fully deserves the ban.

The only player in that list who deserves any sympathy is Wallace who was trying to make a goal saving tackle. Perhaps Glen for his youthful red mist. But Stewart's nonsense to the fan/referee, Nade's hardman act, Zaliukas/Kurskis/Elliot stupidity all utterly ridiculous.

Agreed. We are reaping what we've sown on this.

Discpiline has been shocking for a few years, it's no surprise we're getting fined, just as other teams do when their discipline is poor.

Pay those dirty weegie feckers money and it becomes dirty

lining the pockets of the refs and linesmen!

This is one where we only have ourselves to blame - not the SFA.

The farce at Tannadice that night and the fact we're still giving away silly sending offs shows there's a complete lack of discipline at the club.

It has to be sorted and it has to come from the top.....no blaming other organisations this time.

have Hibs not had 10 red cards this year??????

oh wait the are not run by V Romanov Barry Anderson GTF i know you post/read on here!!!!

I think the Hobos have had more than us

Get his - Barry Ferguson ZERO yellow cards

why do we bother mate

Agreed. We are reaping what we've sown on this.

Discpiline has been shocking for a few years, it's no surprise we're getting fined, just as other teams do when their discipline is poor.

Not disputing what you say but the stats are definitely skewed when we see players not being sent off by refereeing errors, cough, cough, ahem (just clearing my throat)

Cueller against DUFC in the CIS

Baz when he grabbed someone by the throat

Weir, Cousin and Broadfoot last week

There's 5 examples with just one club who on paper have a better record than us.

Guest JamboRobbo
Not disputing what you say but the stats are definitely skewed when we see players not being sent off by refereeing errors, cough, cough, ahem (just clearing my throat)

Cueller against DUFC in the CIS

Baz when he grabbed someone by the throat

Weir, Cousin and Broadfoot last week

There's 5 examples with just one club who on paper have a better record than us.

thats a fair point, maybe Rangers should be getting fined too if they hadn't been let off with so much by referees.

But as far as HMFC are concerned, we deserve what we're getting for our poor discipline.

Spellczech

We have such weak management on the football side that it is no surprise that the players lose their heads. Get the squad to pay the fine - divvy it up between yellow and reds.

Get a proper manager in too.

The Old Tolbooth
This

is one where we only have ourselves to blame - not the SFA.

The farce at Tannadice that night and the fact we're still giving away silly sending offs shows there's a complete lack of discipline at the club.

It has to be sorted and it has to come from the top.....no blaming other organisations this time.

Why do we only have ourselves to blame?

We have had players sent off for 2 bookable offences this season for nothing challenges, whilst the old firm get away without any bookings for far worse challenges, we even had Stewart and Glen sent off against Gretna (in different games) for nothing at all!!!

Nakamura, Burke, Novo and Boyd all get away with diving week in, week out, whilst we get players booked and accused of diving that have genuinely been fouled!

McGregor gets away scot free for blatantly assaulting Elliot, not even a talking to!

I would tell the SFA to shove their fine up their arse because until it's a level playing field, these types of fines simply cannot be justified!

Ally Alexander

The Macgregor assault resulted in a free kick or the Huns and a yellow card for Shammy!

bigbadbill

I agree wholeheartedly with this post. And can I add the Zaliukas red card at Tannadice as equally ridiculous. He was defending himself against an assault by Wilkie. It's not all our fault. There is something askew with the refereeing in Scotland as we all know. Three east coast clubs, Hearts, Hibs and Dundee United have the most undisciplined players in Scotland by quite a substantial margin. Celtic have had one red card all season. Try making that sort of evidence stand up in a court! It is utter nonsense to suggest that it is our own fault. The fault lies quite squarely with a system which is blatantly biased against certain clubs and in favour of others.

I agree wholeheartedly with this post. And can I add the Zaliukas red card at Tannadice as equally ridiculous. He was defending himself against an assault by Wilkie. It's not all our fault. There is something askew with the refereeing in Scotland as we all know. Three east coast clubs, Hearts, Hibs and Dundee United have the most undisciplined players in Scotland by quite a substantial margin. Celtic have had one red card all season. Try making that sort of evidence stand up in a court! It is utter nonsense to suggest that it is our own fault. The fault lies quite squarely with a system which is blatantly biased against certain clubs and in favour of others.

Agreed, I reckon we've been hit hard at every possible opportunity by these so called honest refs. You might argue that we "should know better" etc etc but lets be honest We've had players booked for their 1st challenge in a match and Miko would probably get booked for simulation if he bent down to tie his boot lace :mad:

For heavens sake, we had Larry booked for taking a free kick before the ref was ready..............has that happened to any other player this year? I doubt it :sad:

No doubt that we get more than our fair share of yellow and red cards - however the the fact that we continue to get so many stupid ones for dissent just shows how weak the management has been this season.

Seymour M Hersh
Why do we only have ourselves to blame?

We have had players sent off for 2 bookable offences this season for nothing challenges, whilst the old firm get away without any bookings for far worse challenges, we even had Stewart and Glen sent off against Gretna (in different games) for nothing at all!!!

Nakamura, Burke, Novo and Boyd all get away with diving week in, week out, whilst we get players booked and accused of diving that have genuinely been fouled!

McGregor gets away scot free for blatantly assaulting Elliot, not even a talking to!

I would tell the SFA to shove their fine up their arse because until it's a level playing field, these types of fines simply cannot be justified!

I agree with much of what you write but our discipline has been very poor this season. However, for a holding midfielder to go an entire season without one yellow card beggars belief. Well maybe not as it is wee ned face ferguson.

I agree with much of what you write but our discipline has been very poor this season. However, for a holding midfielder to go an entire season without one yellow card beggars belief. Well maybe not as it is wee ned face ferguson.

Aye, that would surely look odd to anybody outside these shores :confused:

We have two teams ( the OF ) who have, by their own admission, scrapped and fought ( like true champions do :rolleyes: ) to grind out games in pursuit of the title.............and yet hardly picked up a booking :sad:

jambojim52

The GFA need the money. How else can they afford to pay rangers fine for rioting?:dribble:

A few years back Hartley was retrospectively fined for a kick on Ross Wallace (I think). Cousin escaped punishment for his headbutt last week, nothing at all was said, or done about the fight on the pitch after the OF game recently. In fact, the only thing that was said was that it was "hanbags" and the "emotion" spilling over. Zaliukas was sent off against Utd when he didn't even touch Wilkie!!

Miko banned for two matches for diving. Thomson was just 'trying to get out of the way of the challenge'.

Hibs got 4 red cards in 3 matches recently, nothing said. It's getitng beyond a joke.

I meant to say, I do think our discipline has been poor for the last few years but I just wish we got the same treatment as other clubs. How many yellow cards have we had for nothing? Four yellows for dives that tv proved were not dives.

A few years back Hartley was retrospectively fined for a kick on Ross Wallace (I think). Cousin escaped punishment for his headbutt last week, nothing at all was said, or done about the fight on the pitch after the OF game recently. In fact, the only thing that was said was that it was "hanbags" and the "emotion" spilling over. Zaliukas was sent off against Utd when he didn't even touch Wilkie!!

Miko banned for two matches for diving. Thomson was just 'trying to get out of the way of the challenge'.

Hibs got 4 red cards in 3 matches recently, nothing said. It's getitng beyond a joke.

Cousin was booked during the game for the head butt.

That ensures retrospective punishment cant be used.

Convenient that eh.

Right enough, I stand corrected, forgot about that.

Still my example of the "handbags" after the OF game backs up my point.

Cheers

I'm not even going to consider losing the head about this fine. The club went through months of being treated disgracefully by the referees and officials and therefore I consider the vast majority of our 'disciplinary record' this season to be null and void. Yes, some players made a few stupid mistakes but their collective actions certainly don't warrant a ?40k fine.

Total nonsense from those pigs at the SFA. They have some bloody cheek.

Oh yeah, and the fines we got for Vlad's comments and how they brought the game into disrepute? I'd say Gordon Smith and Rangers have brought infinitely more shame upon the game this year than the rest of us put together. Will we see anyone being fined for that? Will we hell. In fact, can anyone tell me when Rangers last got a fine for anything at all?

Pffft.

Right enough, I stand corrected, forgot about that.

Still my example of the "handbags" after the OF game backs up my point.

Cheers

I think the fact Cousin was booked highlights your point more...

Snake Plissken

9 red cards is a shocking total and while I think Michael Stewart's sending off at Gretna was wrong the fact remains our squad are horribly indisciplined and they should collectively have to pay this fine as has been suggested.

$ilvery_Moon
This is one where we only have ourselves to blame - not the SFA.

Bang on.

Archived