Vegetarian options in Edinburgh?

Kalamazoo Jambo

Kalamazoo Jambo

A couple of American friends will be visiting Edinburgh at the end of May (staying just off the Canongate). They're both vegetarians, which means I've got absolutely no food recommendations to give them :laugh:

Any ideas for either good vegetarian restauraunts or restaurants with vegetarian options that I can recommend?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

3fingersreid

Never been myself -confirmed carnivore - but any fares from David Banns on St Mary's street always give a fantastic review of it

Handy for your guests too

Haven't been for years but Kalpna on St Patrick's Square (South Indian vegetarian) used to be a favourite.

frankblack

I'm vegetarian and have never eaten at a vegetarian-only resteraunt. My friends and family aren't veggie and wouldn't be too keen.

Most Indian resteraunts will cater for Vegetarians as Vegetarians are the vast majority of the population in India. Other than that, Italian food usually has plenty of options e.g. Pizza, Pasta. Good Chinese resteraunts like Lung Fung have decent options for veggies also.

Sooperstar

I also have only heard good things about David Bann's. Never been myself either.

Chester™

I've been to David Bann's a few times and the food is absolutely fantastic (I'm not a veggie BTW). Pricey-ish but worth it. Their homemade houmous is amazing.

From Perth to Paisley

Mrs went to Hendersons on Hanover street and said it was excellent.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Bann's is good, but pricey. Beiruit at Nicholson Square is excellent, good selection of veggie & meat dishes (the spicy lamb sausages are excellent) http://www.beirutres...-la-carte-menu/ .Middle east restaurants would give a choice for non-veggie.As mentioned, an Indian would be good, too, plus (as far as I'm aware) the US doesn't really have many good curry houses, so would possibly be a bit different for them.

Kalamazoo Jambo

As mentioned, an Indian would be good, too, plus (as far as I'm aware) the US doesn't really have many good curry houses, so would possibly be a bit different for them.

Kalamazoo has one really good curry house (and one average one). That's it. Bit different to the days when I lived in Manchester...

BoJack Horseman

Just head to an Italian,no? Unless they have to eat somewhere that's exclusively vegetarian, I'd imagine every single restaurant will cater to leaf eaters.

Sooperstar

Just had a look at the David Bann's menu. Most expensive main course is ?13. Pricey?!

CostaJambo

An Indian veggie at my work was visiting Edinburgh recently and asked me if I knew of any decent baked tattie shops, which I didn't. I googled it and there was a vegetarian one in Cockburn Street getting rave reviews. He said it was brilliant and went back the next day too. Obviously not suitable for a sit down dinner but might be of interest for lunchtime if they are up town. This is it.....

https://www.facebook.com/thebakedpotatoshop

Franco Fascione

Haven't been for years but Kalpna on St Patrick's Square (South Indian vegetarian) used to be a favourite.

Hear hear!

Alba gu Brath

Banns is good. Holyrood 9A round the corner does a few 'veggie' burgers too - haloumi, falafel, veggie haggis and one or two more. Has a great range of beers an aw.

Oxford City

Banns is a lot cheaper (comparatively) than it once was. It's still excellent.

The legendary vegetarian baked potato shop on Cockburn St is not as great as it once was but still very good. The Kalpna is still very good. Hendersons is still a good bet but it can be hit and miss (which has always been the case, really).

Edinburgh is a really good place for vegetarians to eat, most places will cater for them.

Bann's is good, but pricey. Beiruit at Nicholson Square is excellent, good selection of veggie & meat dishes (the spicy lamb sausages are excellent) http://www.beirutres...-la-carte-menu/ .Middle east restaurants would give a choice for non-veggie.As mentioned, an Indian would be good, too, plus (as far as I'm aware) the US doesn't really have many good curry houses, so would possibly be a bit different for them.

Beruit is incredible, easily my favourite place to eat in edinburgh!!

Last time I was in Hendersons they had shifted to table service ... not as good as the canteen style used to be. Kalpna has a very short menu but the food is delicious. And David Bann has gone downhill in the past few years in my opinion.

There are disappointingly few vegetarian options in other restaurants these days too.

frankblack

Last time I was in Hendersons they had shifted to table service ... not as good as the canteen style used to be. Kalpna has a very short menu but the food is delicious. And David Bann has gone downhill in the past few years in my opinion.

There are disappointingly few vegetarian options in other restaurants these days too.

I guess that depends on where you eat. Pub food can be a bit disappointing in terms of lack of options - I am a bit sick of having to select the Veggie Burger that is the sole option available to me.

When I eat out I would prefer to eat something I don't normally get a chance of at home (because I am a shite basic cook).

An Indian veggie at my work was visiting Edinburgh recently and asked me if I knew of any decent baked tattie shops, which I didn't. I googled it and there was a vegetarian one in Cockburn Street getting rave reviews. He said it was brilliant and went back the next day too. Obviously not suitable for a sit down dinner but might be of interest for lunchtime if they are up town. This is it.....

https://www.facebook...bakedpotatoshop

Isn't that one vegan rather than just veggie?

Oxford City

Isn't that one vegan rather than just veggie?

Never used to be. Has a lot of vegan stuff but also always had cheese, butter for your tatties etc.

Last time I was in Hendersons they had shifted to table service ... not as good as the canteen style used to be.

Was that the old restaurant or the 'bistro' round the corner? The bistro has always been table service and never as good. The downstairs bit was still queue up for your food last time I was there.

Just had a look at the David Bann's menu. Most expensive main course is ?13. Pricey?!

I've eaten there and I was surprised by the "pricey" comments too. Standard Edinburgh prices. Maybe dearer that ur average veggie place but the food I had there was excellent and well worth the money. Didn't miss the absence of meat.

I really enjoyed Kalpna the first time I was there but not so much the second. Go for the paneer (Indian cheese) dish in the tomato/tikka sauce. Again you won't miss the meat. Kushi's (top of leith walk) and Kismot (st Leonard's) have some really good veggie options if you fancy Indian. Neither are far from the cowgate and both are byob, so bonus there.

One of my favourite restaurants is Kanpai, they also own Hay Sushi and the menus feature a lot of the same food. The dragon roll is one of the best dishes I've eaten anywhere. Plenty of veg options. Amazing food.

PortyJambo

https://www.facebook...bakedpotatoshop

I used to go there regularly for a baked tattie at lunchtime when I worked nearby, great baked tatties.

Alba gu Brath

Banns is a lot cheaper (comparatively) than it once was. It's still excellent.

The legendary vegetarian baked potato shop on Cockburn St is not as great as it once was but still very good. The Kalpna is still very good. Hendersons is still a good bet but it can be hit and miss (which has always been the case, really).

Edinburgh is a really good place for vegetarians to eat, most places will cater for them.

Food is good enough. The toilets are bowfin though. Banns, Auld Hoose, An Purna, Kalpna, Kushis all good.

Food is good enough. The toilets are bowfin though. Banns, Auld Hoose, An Purna, Kalpna, Kushis all good.

Kalpna is great as is Henderson's.

(hope you don't mind me using your picture Alba)

Never been to a vegetarian restuarant but always use Tripadvisor before booking any meal. You will be able to filter out vegetarian restaurants.

Archived