Things that don't have a name

CostaJambo

CostaJambo

Been wondering about things that should have a single word name that don't. E,g. the back of the knee, non rhyming words or the corner of the bar where the post meets the crossbar. Could equally belong to a feeling, such as when you get on a bus only to see all the seats taken by OAP's unwilling to heat their house for the day or being in a queue at the supermarket and the checkout asistant tells you your total and the woman in front still hasn't got her purse out of her handbag. Do you have any such things which you wish could or should have a single word to describe them?

Also that feeling when you take a football or a whack from a small child to the nuts.

hughesie27

I think you mean the bit between the post and the bar...which is called the cross bar? I'm probably wring though. It does have a name!

CostaJambo
I think you mean the bit between the post and the bar...which is called the cross bar? I'm probably wring though. It does have a name![/QUO

Not the crossbar, the bit where the crossbar meets the post. Have seen numerous commentators struggle to describe it adequateky!

Have you heard of 'The Meaning of Liff'?

It's an occasionally funny book where the authors took genuine placenames and attributed various descriptions to them in a kind of a dictionary style.

e.g. Aith - the single bristle that sticks out sideways on a cheap paintbrush.

And many more...

davemclaren

I hate to be tedious ( not that I usually am :wacko: ) but Schadenfreude is a word adopted from German because there is not an equivalent single word in the English language. At my age I enjoy Schadenfreude a lot, when it happens.;)

Actually, there was an English word but it went out of use several centuries ago...

is that the stawnchin?

add this thread to the list too

Stanchion?

As Skinner and Baddiel say, only mental people pronounce it stawnchin. The lesser said about the people that spell it that way, the better. :)

Stanchion?

As Skinner and Baddiel say, only mental people pronounce it stawnchin. The lesser said about the people that spell it that way, the better. :)

I knew i knew that spelling from somewhere!

:confused:

portobellojambo1
Not the crossbar, the bit where the crossbar meets the post. Have seen numerous commentators struggle to describe it adequateky!

I think the technical name for it is the stancheon.

As for getting hit by a football or kicked in the nuts that is referred to as fecking sair, which is technically two words, but hurts all the same.

Your sincerely

Pope Mahatma Ghandi III, of the Niddrie/Craigmillar and Morningside Diocese of the R S McColl Appreciation Society.

Drink more coffee, it rots your brain (makes you p i s s a funny colour as well).

The Old Tolbooth
I think the technical name for it is the stancheon.

As for getting hit by a football or kicked in the nuts that is referred to as fecking sair, which is technically two words, but hurts all the same.

Your sincerely

Pope Mahatma Ghandi III, of the Niddrie/Craigmillar and Morningside Diocese of the R S McColl Appreciation Society.

Drink more coffee, it rots your brain (makes you p i s s a funny colour as well).

Quality :D

The Old Tolbooth

I used to think there wasn't a word for when one of your parents walked in when you were nailing a burd and on the final lap when you had to pull the breeks up, however a mate of mine calls it the vinegar stroke, which I thought was superb! :)

I used to think there wasn't a word for when one of your parents walked in when you were nailing a burd and on the final lap when you had to pull the breeks up, however a mate of mine calls it the vinegar stroke, which I thought was superb! :)

That's called a massive beamer:):)

nah, you always carry on or finish the job! they won't stay in the room for long!

Been wondering about things that should have a single word name that don't. E,g. the back of the knee, non rhyming words or the corner of the bar where the post meets the crossbar. Could equally belong to a feeling, such as when you get on a bus only to see all the seats taken by OAP's unwilling to heat their house for the day or being in a queue at the supermarket and the checkout asistant tells you your total and the woman in front still hasn't got her purse out of her handbag. Do you have any such things which you wish could or should have a single word to describe them?

Also that feeling when you take a football or a whack from a small child to the nuts.

Drawing inspiration from Boof's post about The Meaning Of Liff:

AUCHTERTOOL: That feeling you get when your parents walk in when you're on the final lap. AKA The Vinegar Stroke.

HAFTON: The technical term for the angle of goalpost and crossbar.

HOSH: The back of the knee.

INNERPEFFRAY: The set of sensations and feelings arising from being in a queue at the supermarket and the checkout asistant tells you your total and the woman in front still hasn't got her purse out of her handbag. Not to be confused with another set of sensations and feelings arising from getting on a bus only to see all the seats taken by OAPs unwilling to heat their house for the day. Although these are very similar in nature, they are distinct enough to be recognised by medical science with the term INNERWICK.

RINGILL: The combination of sensations you get in the 24 hours following a Vindaloo.

TIPPERTREOCH: A non-rhyming word.

UIG: The feeling you get when you take a whack in the nuts from a football or a small child travelling at speed.

Hope this helps.

The back of the knee is it not just called the back of the knee:confused::confused:

Why do we want a player who can hit the 'back of the net'?

Surely we want someone who can hit the 'front of the net'.

Jambo_LuLu

The Meaning Of Liff - That book is tremendous!! Me and my mate spent hours giggling at it!!

The stanchion is the bit that used to exist at the back of the goal which supported the frame of the goal and the nets. We no longer have these as nets are held up by those poles a couple of yards behind the goal.

I would take a guess at the bit between the bar and the post being called a junction as someone else had guessed earlier.

Archived