Anyone been to Morocco?

stew mc

Whats the script....

Going to the south of Spain and fancy a trip over the water to Morroco.

Has anyone any tips on getting there,the markets(are the safe) as i will have the kids in tow or at least 2 of them.

Do the locals hassle you non stop etc etc

Any Help would be appreciated!!!!;)

A Boy Named Crow

I was there a couple of years ago, it's absolutely fine. When I went we took the ferry rom Algeciras- not sure that's how you spell it, but it's the Spanish port next door to Gibraltar, over to Tangier then went aout by train as far down as Casablanca. The locals are enthusiatic salesmen, but not over bearingly so. One thing would point out is that the only women who frequent places where alcohol is sold are prostitutes, wihch explains the growlers my female travelling companion was getting off the local birds!:P

70's Throwback

Went for a day trip to Tangiers and it was fine. When you're walking around some of the small shopping streets you will get guys trying to sell you stuff but just avoid eye contact, say no and it's fine. Good place to go.

Whats the script....

Has anyone any tips on getting there,the markets(are the safe) as i will have the kids in tow or at least 2 of them.

You'll probably see half the Hibs team there!

European Jambos Mum
Whats the script....

we took the ferry over to Tangiers when we were in the south of Spain a few years ago. Long day but very enjoyable. markets are fine if you just say no politely. Got offered 20 camels for my daughter!!!

ArmiyaRomanova

Day trip to Tangiers and you'll be fine, but watch your pockets in the souk, and be careful you aren't being followed or shepherded into quieter corners. Enjoy the haggling too!

If you can manage an overnight stay in Tangiers, so much the better....

If you're feeling more adventurous, grab an overnight train to Marrakech and get stuck into the souk there. One of the best places on the planet imho.

Thanks for the info guys!!

Think it will be Tangier's and feel a lot more 'up' for takin my 2 boys(The wife and my wee 1 say they don't want to go)

Any idea of the best way of booking the ferry/boat or do you just get a ticket on the day

Also how do you change euro's into morrocan money? can you do it in spain or ferry??

Someone told me you cant bring money back out of morroco

ArmiyaRomanova

I seem to remember the ferry taking absolutely ages, but there being a fast boat/hydrofoil that does the journey in under an hour. You'd probably have to book the latter in advance though.

If you're only going for the day, you'd definitely see more sights by going on a tour of some kind from Spain - but that'd be more expensive and offer you less freedom than going it alone and traipsing around soaking up the atmosphere.

Grow yer stubble out and go into a barber there for an interesting shave experience!

Denny Crane

Went to Marrakesh 18 months back and was humming "Safe European Home" by the Clash for days after my return.

Some nice sights and one or two bargains to be had in the souk (a degree in haggling is required though).

Didn't appreciate some tosser throwing a bloody snake round my shoulders then demanding money to get it off (had to stump up - I was catatonic due to my snake phobia).

Being pestered at cash point machines by kids wanting to sell you rubber alligators. Even when buying postcards someone will come up to you demanding cash.

If Tangier has open-air food stall to have a bite to eat then avoid. I was roped into one in Marrakesh at ........ended up on a five hour flight back to Glasgow sufferring with salmonella!

Taxis - rip off (although those of Chinese/Japanese descent get it more than Europeans). However, one chap in Casablanca did offer a fair price - I was stunned (was expecting the usual 10-20 quid rip-off). They don't carry change either. They will assume your 200 dirham note is one big tip and praise your name to Allah for giving him it.

Did a day trip to Casablanca - the mosque on the sea front is stunning but you'll have to wade through an absolute dive of an area (and more cash requests) to get to it. The city's OK but has day-trip written all over it.

Put it this way, you'll need a holiday to get over your vacation to Morrocco!

If you have time, get yersels to Tarifa instead of Algeciras. Great wee town, and the hydrofoil thingy only takes 40 minutes to get to Tangiers (you can actually see Tangier from Tarifa and vice versa). Check out http://www.frs.com for the boat prices and times.

Tangiers is a great place, full of character (I went there in December and everyone seemed to be dressed as wizards!) and much safer than it used to be. Just be sensible in the markets and yous will be fine. There's a few famous cafe bars - try the mint tea, although your dentist wont thank you for doing so. Also, a wee bit of French will help you out, even if it's just the basics.

And if you see Benji, give him a slap.

PS -Change money at the ferryport in Tangiers, you'll get standard rates there.

Looks like a few folk have took up your offer already.:107years:

If you have time, get yersels to Tarifa instead of Algeciras. Great wee town, and the hydrofoil thingy only takes 40 minutes to get to Tangiers (you can actually see Tangier from Tarifa and vice versa). Check out http://www.frs.com for the boat prices and times.

Tangiers is a great place, full of character (I went there in December and everyone seemed to be dressed as wizards!) and much safer than it used to be. Just be sensible in the markets and yous will be fine. There's a few famous cafe bars - try the mint tea, although your dentist wont thank you for doing so. Also, a wee bit of French will help you out, even if it's just the basics.

And if you see Benji, give him a slap.

PS -Change money at the ferryport in Tangiers, you'll get standard rates there.

Mate, its a link to an Energy Drink!!!!

ArmiyaRomanova

If Tangier has open-air food stall to have a bite to eat then avoid. I was roped into one in Marrakesh at ........ended up on a five hour flight back to Glasgow sufferring with salmonella!

I loved the evening food stalls in the Djema El Fnaa, have eaten there a few times without ill effect. Mmm, snails drowned in Bisto.....

Denny Crane
I loved the evening food stalls in the Djema El Fnaa, have eaten there a few times without ill effect. Mmm, snails drowned in Bisto.....

You just had to mention Bisto...........................:1092:

japanjambo

I went a day trip to Morocco from southern Spain. It was nearly 20 years ago mind you. Can't remember the place we went to. It was one of those organised tours. I wouldn't go into one of those casbah's without a tour guide. You may never find your way out! LOL! Hang onto your bag etc...real tight! And yes, we had people, including children trying to sell us everything and anything under the sun. I remember people chasing after our bus as it pulled away, STILL trying to sell us stuff!

Lynn:ninja:

Archived