Cyclists: Help needed

Cigaro

Can anyone who cycles regularly or avidly PM me please?

Need a little bit of advice on something.

dodethejambo

Are you trying to recruit more people into your 'funny' bicycle club

82858178.iDY6QDat.jpg

Are you trying to recruit more people into your 'funny' bicycle club

82858178.iDY6QDat.jpg

No:laugh:

I need peoples opinions on a bike light.

Whether they would buy it, why or why not.

What would need to be changed for them to consider it etc etc.

light113copy.jpg

2 bracket options and exploded image.

1486804922_cf466dd8b1copy.jpg

Double bracket mounted on handlebars.

Light source: LED

Lights road ahead, as well as lighting backwards onto rider. Allows other motorists to see the rider as well as the bike. More illumination = more awareness of vehicle.

Any cyclists any comments or ideas?

UnworthyPapaLazaru

If this is your idea I think its a good one. A not too bright light shining on a cyclist wear reflective gear could really improve visibility. Double bracket I dont think is neccesary.

What about a rear red light with a white one in the opposite direction could again improve visibilty. Dunno how you would mount that though...

I struggle to see cyclists at night when driving.

Most only have a small, dimmish light, with a little flashig one on the back, so lighting up the rider as well would increase their visibility, and therefore make it safer.

dodethejambo
light113copy.jpg

Bracket looks like it could easily be broken------------------------^

and if their is going to be a light coming out of the back you would have to make sure that it does not 'blind' the cyclist.

Bracket looks like it could easily be broken------------------------^

and if their is going to be a light coming out of the back you would have to make sure that it does not 'blind' the cyclist.

Yeah, I've not thought about materials yet, and the bracket is a bit flimsy looking so I will have a look into that.

Yeah I've considered the blinding factor, so will get data on heaights so as to keep it below shoulder level.

dodethejambo
Yeah, I've not thought about materials yet, and the bracket is a bit flimsy looking so I will have a look into that.

Yeah I've considered the blinding factor, so will get data on heaights so as to keep it below shoulder level.

You would have to consider when the light is coming out the back the cyclist may have to look down so it would also not stop him seeing his feet,crank, or what ever.

UnworthyPapaLazaru

What about a saddle with a built in back light and with an upward white light on to the cyclists back?

ArmiyaRomanova

Or a strong downward-facing white light, illuminating the road under the bike - should also make it more visible.

Boaby Ewing

Slick looking design but a couple of quick points:

Will it hold two AA batteries - I'm not certain they'd fit looking at the design, given they would have to fit directly in the lamp itself.

Secondly, while front 'white' LEDs are quite visible for other road users, they don't tend to throw out much of a beam for the cyclist - not really a problem in the city centre, but if you've got to hit any country roads at night it's a bit dodgy.

OK, I said two but here's a third - one of the most important aspect of any bike light is how easy it is to remove, both for security and so you don't have it weighing down your bike at the weekend. Can the whole thing be detached easily (without tools... maybe a 5 mm allen key for the bracket at most if the light itself can unclip by hand)?

How's about a helmet mounted LED for illuminating the reflective gear on the cyclist's back.

I wouldn't like a light illuminating my front as I feel it would impair my night-vision.

The light would illuminate the cyclist below the shoulders.

I think by law any light on the back must be red.

Clip:

light10clip.jpg

Bracket would be attached like regular light brackets.

As for power source, I havet looked into it totally, but was thinking along the lines of those wee flat batteries.

I P Knightley
What about a saddle with a built in back light and with an upward white light on to the cyclists back?

Any light on the back of my saddle will only light up my cheeks. The shining helmet idea sounds more practical. (Insert your own Finbarr Saunders response here)

Definitely like the idea of light coming out the top/back of the front lamp to illuminate the reflective night-gear. The double bracket looks the dab but I'm not sure that it's much more than a gimmick. My bracket is about 1cm to the side of the centre bracket and your light would still illuminate my reflectives pretty well.

I use Cat-Eye lamps at the front and they're compact & light taking 4 AA batteries. Not sure how much life you'd get out of 2 AAs - do LEDs use less battery?

I P Knightley

..oh. And cycling shorts should always be black. As shown below, there could be 'visibility' issues if not:

red_bike_shorts_1.jpg

coppercrutch
Or a strong downward-facing white light, illuminating the road under the bike - should also make it more visible.

We have a winner !!

Cracking idea.

coppercrutch
It is indeed.

:thumb:

You going to give Armiya a 10% share when you make it onto Dragons Den !!

You going to give Armiya a 10% share when you make it onto Dragons Den !!

If I make it onto Dragons Den then yes.

:P

coppercrutch
If I make it onto Dragons Den then yes.

:P

Good luck !!

BTW how do the hoops attach to the bar ? Just the usual screw tightened 'clamp' thingys ?

Good luck !!

BTW how do the hoops attach to the bar ? Just the usual screw tightened 'clamp' thingys ?

Thats what I was thinking yes.

But a lot of upper models use an sort of elastic band thing which loops round the bar.

Just to let you know, I intend on scaling it down in size, to something a little more subtle.

Boaby Ewing

The 'flat' style batteries I presume you're describing (like in a mobile?) might be prohibitively expensive - might be worth checking that out first?

I know you're 'just' at uni, but no point designing something that wouldn't work in the business sense in the real world.

As for the under-bike light - nice idea, but how will it attach/detach - if it's not simple to whap on and off, people won't use it.

Sorry to sound negative, but it's worth thinking these things through first - in principle, it's a decent idea.

coppercrutch
Thats what I was thinking yes.

But a lot of upper models use an sort of elastic band thing which loops round the bar.

Just to let you know, I intend on scaling it down in size, to something a little more subtle.

I think it looks good. If it was in a shop and had a good rep I would def consider it.

Never seen those elastic band things. Just got a new bike after a few years so must have missed this.

The Future's Maroon
That has got to be one of THE BEST FIRST reply to a post I have ever seen in my life.....I just spat my cuppa out all over my keyboard and desk.....brilliant....I salute you for that!:)

The 'flat' style batteries I presume you're describing (like in a mobile?) might be prohibitively expensive - might be worth checking that out first?

I know you're 'just' at uni, but no point designing something that wouldn't work in the business sense in the real world.

As for the under-bike light - nice idea, but how will it attach/detach - if it's not simple to whap on and off, people won't use it.

Sorry to sound negative, but it's worth thinking these things through first - in principle, it's a decent idea.

The circular ones. Not sure on the power etc needed though. Need to look into it properly.

Sounding negative is fine. TBH its why I asked, as when its your own design, you tend to get blinkered and miss glaring mistakes and omissions.

CC, like this:

niterider-sol.jpg

The Future's Maroon

p.s on a serious note, great idea. I wouldnt think a light shining to the rider front would be a good idea as there could be vision issues.

coppercrutch
The circular ones. Not sure on the power etc needed though. Need to look into it properly.

Sounding negative is fine. TBH its why I asked, as when its your own design, you tend to get blinkered and miss glaring mistakes and omissions.

CC, like this:

niterider-sol.jpg

Cheers. That light has some serious power attached...:eek:

I think I would prefer something clamped down. As long as you can detach the actual light of course. Those band things cant be as stable as a clamp can they ?

p.s on a serious note, great idea. I wouldnt think a light shining to the rider front would be a good idea as there could be vision issues.

As said, the light would be shining below eye level on a short-arse. ie 5th percentile shoulder height maximum.

A "fogged" hood over the top of the backwards light could also shield it to make sure.

Kenny, yes I think backward faing lights must be red by law.

Cheers. That light has some serious power attached...:eek:

I think I would prefer something clamped down. As long as you can detach the actual light of course. Those band things cant be as stable as a clamp can they ?

Yeah, if anyone is doubting the LED thing, 1, it has to be LEDs as thats the brief:laugh:

and 2, the Lupine betty 12:

beam1_22W_16.jpg

These are like the most powerful LEDs in the world like, and the light is about ?900:eek:

Is it going to be for off-road cycling as well?

I'm thinking mid range sort of thing, so probably mostly town cycling.

I'm a cyclist and I think the backlight is a great idea, however you would need to be careful in the strength and colour of it.

If a rider is wearing flourescents the light reflecting of them would be more distracting that no light all to the rider. You have to remember also that the riders knees are going to reflect this on every rotation and could create a distraction.

I'm sure someone who knows about lighting could advise you.

I've never rode a motorbike bike do they not have illuminated dials and switchgear? A good question would be how do they deal with this?

Archived