Starting up a Saturday amatuer football team...

tommythejambo

tommythejambo

Me and a few mates were thinking about trying to get a team started up over the next few seasons (presuming we had already missed the deadline for this season coming), but I wasn't aware just how much you had to do.

Plus shelling out nearly ?400 before you have even bought strips!!!

Used to help run one myself and we needed around 2-2.5k a year to keep the team running! Probably haven't missed the cut off for this season, check the edinburgh & lothians amateurs website for contact details of the committee! Must warn you tho it's a huge amount of work to run a team, even harder if it's made up of your mates!! Very difficult situation to go for a sat night out with someone who has spat the dummy because you have dropped/ subbed him!!!

vlad on the tyne
Used to help run one myself and we needed around 2-2.5k a year to keep the team running! Probably haven't missed the cut off for this season, check the edinburgh & lothians amateurs website for contact details of the committee! Must warn you tho it's a huge amount of work to run a team, even harder if it's made up of your mates!! Very difficult situation to go for a sat night out with someone who has spat the dummy because you have dropped/ subbed him!!!

to true harryp!

I did the same. running a football team is a thankless task. Unless you have a decent boozer/social club that can support you with sponsorship and fund raising events its a massive financial struggle. It's annoying when you attend boring league meetings etc etc you get boys coming along half peeshed on a saturday morning with attitudes if they got dropped/rotated.

think long and hard mate.

Not just players turning up half cut on a sat morning! Didn't normally play but it was a nap that if I had a night out on the friday we'd end up with 10 players on the sat and i'd end up having to play 90mins with a raging hangover lol !

If you want to start a team be careful that you don't pack it with Hearts/Hibs ST holders or some weeks you'll lose half your team.

We play at 10am on Sat mornings and that used to be fine until they introduced lunchtime ko's. The season just past we lost players to Hearts ko's, Scotland games (bevvy sessions) and OF lunchtime ko's.

My point is be careful because thanks to SatanTV and Sly it's almost impossible to combine playing with watching nowadays. Better to play fives with your mates on a Friday night before going for a sesh!!!

tommythejambo
If you want to start a team be careful that you don't pack it with Hearts/Hibs ST holders or some weeks you'll lose half your team.

We play at 10am on Sat mornings and that used to be fine until they introduced lunchtime ko's. The season just past we lost players to Hearts ko's, Scotland games (bevvy sessions) and OF lunchtime ko's.

My point is be careful because thanks to SatanTV and Sly it's almost impossible to combine playing with watching nowadays. Better to play fives with your mates on a Friday night before going for a sesh!!!

If we do form a team it's likely to me mostly boys who I have been playing Saturday u-19 football with for the past few seasons, so ST's aren't likely to be an issue.

Archived