Essays

lyonjambo

I have just had an essay I worked really hard on back and I got a really poor grade(infact failed)!

I know that Uni is hard but I did alot of research and tried to put in loads of my own opinion! Do you think I should try and find out why this has happened? I normally get decent grades so I am gutted(it is also an honours level essay).

Boaby Ewing
I have just had an essay I worked really hard on back and I got a really poor grade(infact failed)!

I know that Uni is hard but I did alot of research and tried to put in loads of my own opinion! Do you think I should try and find out why this has happened? I normally get decent grades so I am gutted(it is also an honours level essay).

Stick it on here and we'll tell you.

There must be a pretty glaring error if it's an outright fail.

christhejambo

You at Aberdeen Uni? Found out the other day who the marker is for my dissertation- and he's an absolute swine when it comes to marking- soiling myself now. Definately speak to the marker about it though if you're unsure about why it was so low- they usually expalin it a bit better if you go see them. Not going to be much comfort if its an honours essay i know, but worth a try

I'm surprised you are even asking this, especially given it's importance! If you want feedback on an essay, ask the lecturer/tutor for it.

Ivan Drago

yeah you really need to find out why you failed, coz in my experience its very very difficult to completely fail an essay. It must be something like you havent actually answered the question intended or you've not done whats been expected...

I tried to upload as an attachment but it is 15 pages long so is too big apparently.

I'm surprised you are even asking this, especially given it's importance! If you want feedback on an essay, ask the lecturer/tutor for it.

Of course I am getting in touch with the tutor, i think i was more venting my spleen, sorry i know i did ask if I should but by that point I had already phoned and left a voicmail and also sent two emails. (think i might get done for stalking ;))

Chester™

If its a problem after speaking (if you do) to your tutor, ask for it to be marked independently. I had to do it once because of a huge personality clash with one tutor and it went from a fail (under 40) to just under a 2:1 (59).

Ray Winstone

As Christiejambo said it really depends on who is marking it.

I thought I had handed in a real stinker of an essay around xmas time and ended up with a really good mark because they marker was obviously quite lenient, another essay which I had put shed loads of work into came out with a fairly poor mark because the marker was a muppet.

Go and speak to the marker and ask him what you did wrong (and if you want to be cheeky ask for it to be marked again by someone else!)

However unfortunately you will probably find the old markers union takes over and any other marker will agree with the first mark.

As Christiejambo said it really depends on who is marking it.

I thought I had handed in a real stinker of an essay around xmas time and ended up with a really good mark because they marker was obviously quite lenient, another essay which I had put shed loads of work into came out with a fairly poor mark because the marker was a muppet.

Go and speak to the marker and ask him what you did wrong (and if you want to be cheeky ask for it to be marked again by someone else!)

However unfortunately you will probably find the old markers union takes over and any other marker will agree with the first mark.

You are right, it does depend on the marker. I think the reason I am so ****ed off is because i handed in a different subjects essay on the same day and I felt I had put the same into both. I got a first mark for the other essay so this makes me annoyed.

The marker has still not gotten back to me, the exam is a week tomorrow and I just want some advice on where I am going so wrong.

You are right, it does depend on the marker. I think the reason I am so ****ed off is because i handed in a different subjects essay on the same day and I felt I had put the same into both. I got a first mark for the other essay so this makes me annoyed.

The marker has still not gotten back to me, the exam is a week tomorrow and I just want some advice on where I am going so wrong.

Why don't you post your introduction and conclusion sections on here (if the full essay is too long) so we can all have a crack at finding out the problem?

What are you studying?

What was the question?

Post your intro and summery and someone here will be an expert on the subject.

Putting a lot of effort into an essay doesn't mean you'll pass. The most common mistake that people make is that they put everything down that they know about the subject rather than answering the question.

“The legislative response to the threat of terrorism in the United Kingdom in the 21st century has been ill-conceived and disproportionate. It seeks to promote security by sacrificing civil liberty. Only the courts have offered a response which adequately accommodates human rights concerns.” Discuss

First Para

The threat of terrorism has been a longstanding issue in the United Kingdom (UK). However, the threat became more serious in 2001 when there were several attacks on American, a close ally of the UK’s, soil. These attacks claimed hundreds of lives and left many countries feeling not only outraged but also vulnerable. The UK responded very quickly to the attacks in the USA by creating an extremely important piece of legislation. Not only was the Terrorism Act a vital piece of legislation it was also an extremely quickly made piece in response to the terrorist attacks. This has lead to it being subject to a lot of criticism from both a technical and civil liberties perspective. Government at the time clearly felt that the only response to the terrorist attacks in America was to create legislation that would be counter-terrorist. The result was a piece of law that regarded counter-terrorism to be a higher priority than fundamental civil liberties.

Last Para

The introduction of laws regarding terrorism is affected by the political climate in the UK. If there has been a threat of terrorism or an actual act of terrorism, the Government wants to be seen to be protecting the citizens by introducing new laws, even if those laws infringe upon fundamental civil liberties. This is not the answer since it can be seen to heighten insecurity between nationals and non-nationals or between members of different religions. It is undoing the work of both race and religious equality and creating a society that mistrusts each other. Civil liberties are fundamental to each human being and by allowing laws to be passed that impinge upon civil liberties the UK is acting in an anti-democratic manner. The courts can go some way to stopping the government from acting in such an unstructured way but are restricted by previous law and precedent.

Obviously i wrote quite a bit in between, it was about 4,000 words long.

Quality!!! :4_1_111:

haha I hadn't noticed that! I'm no grungy student....:P

Just got a response from my tutor and am meeting her on Friday to discuss so should be alright.

Lynn

?The legislative response to the threat of terrorism in the United Kingdom in the 21st century has been ill-conceived and disproportionate. It seeks to promote security by sacrificing civil liberty. Only the courts have offered a response which adequately accommodates human rights concerns.? Discuss

First Para

The threat of terrorism has been a longstanding issue in the United Kingdom (UK). However, the threat became more serious in 2001 when there were several attacks on American, a close ally of the UK?s, soil. These attacks claimed hundreds of lives and left many countries feeling not only outraged but also vulnerable. The UK responded very quickly to the attacks in the USA by creating an extremely important piece of legislation. Not only was the Terrorism Act a vital piece of legislation it was also an extremely quickly made piece in response to the terrorist attacks. This has lead to it being subject to a lot of criticism from both a technical and civil liberties perspective. Government at the time clearly felt that the only response to the terrorist attacks in America was to create legislation that would be counter-terrorist. The result was a piece of law that regarded counter-terrorism to be a higher priority than fundamental civil liberties.

Last Para

The introduction of laws regarding terrorism is affected by the political climate in the UK. If there has been a threat of terrorism or an actual act of terrorism, the Government wants to be seen to be protecting the citizens by introducing new laws, even if those laws infringe upon fundamental civil liberties. This is not the answer since it can be seen to heighten insecurity between nationals and non-nationals or between members of different religions. It is undoing the work of both race and religious equality and creating a society that mistrusts each other. Civil liberties are fundamental to each human being and by allowing laws to be passed that impinge upon civil liberties the UK is acting in an anti-democratic manner. The courts can go some way to stopping the government from acting in such an unstructured way but are restricted by previous law and precedent.

Obviously i wrote quite a bit in between, it was about 4,000 words long.

Was this a law course?

Obviously given the short bits you have put up on here it is hard to tell. But if it was a law course then perhaps your answer is too 'political' and not enough 'legal'?

The usual aspects of dissecting and proving/disproving parts of the question apply - did you do all of that? ie

The legislative response to the threat of terrorism in the United Kingdom [what has been the legislative response?]

in the 21st century has been ill-conceived [has it been counter productive?, too costly?]

and disproportionate. [again is it too costly eg everyone having to take off their shoes at the airport clearly has no impact on terrorism]

It seeks to promote security [does the legislation actually look to promote security or is it just an illusion of security]

by sacrificing civil liberty.[what civil liberties has it impinged upon, are those civil liberties gone for ever?]

Only the courts have offered a response which adequately accommodates human rights concerns.? [what are the courts entitled to do, what has their response been, how does it conflict with the Government's legislation, how has it accomodated human rights concerns]

To be honest my view would be that the statement is absolutely correct. I guess that the answer which gets top marks would cover the things I mentioned above, bring them together and project the issues into the future?

Thanks Coco, from rereading my essay, I believe I did do all of what you mentioned, obviously just didnt do it to a high enough standard. I have decided I cannot dwell on it now, my exams are a week tomorrow and so I have to focus on them. ALso it is my other halfs 30th today so i need to perk up and take him out.

i agree with coco. it seems more politically based rather than legal.

what was posted seems like it could have been part of a speech given by a civil liberties protestor or activist who disagrees with the governments introduction and handling of the anti-terrorism bill.

even if you have explained the legal arguments in the rest of the essay, the first and last paragraphs would probably stuck in the examiners head and it could appear that you have not answered the question from the correct viewpoint ie the legal side

Ally Alexander

Appears that you may have missed the point about the Courts providing balance of response.

Aslo you make a generalisations " there were several attacks on American, a close ally of the UK?s, soil". - How much is several? Far less than the Britain mainland suffered under the IRA and much less than suffered by Northern Ireland. It was the scale of the Twin towers attack that triggered the response.

"These attacks claimed hundreds of lives and left many countries feeling not only outraged but also vulnerable". - If you have done the reseach you claim then you would be able to give a more precise number.

Comparison's can be made to the Uk's response and the USA where they still have a seven day limit on holding of suspects without charge (mind you Guatanamo Bay raises other questions) and the Uk response to the IRA.

It is a leading question which you appear to have answered with no consideration of the government's stance, whether you agree with it or not. The first and last paragraphs are little more than a reiteration of the question. Your first paragraph/introduction should state that the legislation needs to be examine both in its detail and in practice, how the courts interpret the legislation, what human rights are being infringed, the effectiveness of the legislation. The last paragraph/conclusion should then make a statement from the evidence presented.

However it is an emotive question and difficult to answer without resorting to subjectivity and ancedotal examples.

bigbadbill

It appears to me that you are not answering the question which was posed. The question specifically asks about the threat in the UK. You immediately muddy the waters by linking the UK threat to an attack in the USA. As your starting point you should have perhaps used the London Tube bombings. Much of the legislation which I assume the question wants you to consider was framed as a response to that event.

Also, your final paragraph seems to indicate that perhaps you did not discuss or consider the legislation that was framed in the 70s to combat the activities of the Provisional IRA.

This was a basis for the consideration of recent Acts.

Archived