"Turn in the road"

Jambomuzz

Ok so here's my dilemma...

Check my mirrors,blind spots and begin my turn in the road as both directions of traffic are clear.

Once I am across the road I change into reverse and begin to reverse, while doing so, someone had tried to nick past me and up the road as the road was wide enough. I scrape down the side of his car and the back corner of my drivers side bumper is badly dented.

My main question is, if someone comes across you while you are in the middle of a turn in the road, should they be giving way untill you have completed your manouver?

I was reversing with the flow of traffic also. The guy says I'm at fault I'm pretty sure I'm not but my insurance also says as I was the one reversing chances are I'll get blamed!

scott_jambo

In my opinion, under any circumstances, if someone is performing a manouevre, you wait until they are done before trying to whizz by them.

In reality I don't do that and just use my own judgement.

Guest C00l K1d

Depends. You're meant to be constantly checking around you as you're doing the manoeuvre not just directly behind you so you should've been aware of him and waited to see if he was going to give way.

That's what i did in my lessons anyway when doing turn in the roads, albeit everyone waited until i was done.

In my opinion, under any circumstances, if someone is performing a manouevre, you wait until they are done before trying to whizz by them.

In reality I don't do that and just use my own judgement.

Whenever I come across

Someone doing a turn in the road I always wait and the way allowing them to finish the manouver, what I want to know is if this is actually part of the driving standards ect or whatever, so I can inform my insurance company and hopefully avoid liability for the collision.

Old people drivers :(.

Depends. You're meant to be constantly checking around you as you're doing the manoeuvre not just directly behind you so you should've been aware of him and waited to see if he was going to give way.

That's what i did in my lessons anyway when doing turn in the roads, albeit everyone waited until i was done.

Yeah I know it was a split second basically, the turn in the road was done on a side street roughly 50 yards from the mouth of the road, he's coming flying round the corner and just gone straight for it, and I've started to reverse, then bang lol.

So annoying as the first thing he said when he came out was "well your Defos at

Fault there"

Aye nae bother old Man

Annoying thing is aswell that he's driving a mobility vehicle, his premiums won't change or hardly if he accepts liability. While mine will rocket and I'll lose my no claims!

Sterling Archer

I may be wrong but seem to remember from my lessons that if you're in reverse and a car is coming you're meant to stop completely.

Guest C00l K1d

If he came flying down without no care i'd push for that. Say he was coming that quick that you didn't have enough time to stop. Sounds shite but if he's an auld man they'll probably believe you over him.

You reversed into someone you didn't see because you didn't look for them.

The other motorist should have waited for you, but you should have seen him and stopped.

You reversed into someone you didn't see because you didn't look for them.

The other motorist should have waited for you, but you should have seen him and stopped.

I agree completely with this. Since the guy sounds like a dick you should try to put as much fault on him as you can (eg. by saying he must've been going too fast ect) and try and get knock for knock.

Dean Winchester

Check my mirrors,blind spots and begin my turn in the road as both directions of traffic are clear.

Once I am across the road I change into reverse and begin to reverse, while doing so, someone had tried to nick past me and up the road as the road was wide enough. I scrape down the side of his car and the back corner of my drivers side bumper is badly dented.

My main question is, if someone comes across you while you are in the middle of a turn in the road, should they be giving way untill you have completed your manouver?

I was reversing with the flow of traffic also. The guy says I'm at fault I'm pretty sure I'm not but my insurance also says as I was the one reversing chances are I'll get blamed!

As said above the only thing you can push for is that he was going too fast and you didn't see him when you done your checks...

But by rights you shouldn't expect someone to wait for you, you should be in a position to give way and either stop until they've passed or until you know they're going to let you complete the manouver.

Do you have a witness or was there any cameras in the area? Without some kind of evidence he was going too fast then it's going to be your word against his and it's likely the insurance company will side with him.

scott_jambo

Just say that you had fully stopped and the guy ploughed into you. If he's a daft old bugger he's prob got alzheimers etc.. that you could pull up if it went to the small claims courts.

Jambof3tornado

Knock for knock. Although you are at fault ya numpty!

Other guy is an ignorant tosser though.

This topic makes me seethe.

Feb 2012..... En route to a funeral, there was a massive queue of traffic in the direction I was heading.

I performed a turn in the road to take another route. Didn't want to be late obviously.

Whilst doing the manaouver another car on the other side of the road drove in to me.

It was classed as my fault. Despite being completely stationary, the woman drove in to me. She wasn't paying attention.

Was not a happy chappy.

I tried a U turn, couldn't quite make it, stopped, put car in to reverse to start backing up and the other car just kept coming, it was like slow motion, I thought surely she's gonna stop?! Nope, hit me. She broke dead late, only noticing me last second.

Must have been on her phone or something to not see me.

Pretty frustrating, lost 2 years of my NCB because of that.

Still think she was in the wrong though.

But insurance just see me on wrong side of road and other car was driving in a straight line and I shouldn't have been there.

You ought to apply your handbrake and do a complete check of your surroundings when you start the manoeuvre, when your car is perpendicular to the road and when you've straightened your car out to face the opposite way. In reality nobody does this, but if you don't do any of that in your test then you fail the whole shebang. From that i'd say, unless you can prove the other driver was driving dangerously, then you're at fault in the eyes of the law/insurers.

Now, a good driver would see somebody doing a three point turn and wait for them to finish but i dont think they're obliged to.

Reckon you'll be found in the wrong, I failed my driving test for similar reasons

Doing my 3 point turn just finished the reverse, looked round and all fine, got the bite and was just about to move off when some prick went flying through, braked and didn't hit him but didn't matter

Instant fail and wasn't even 5 minutes in

Reckon you'll be found in the wrong, I failed my driving test for similar reasons

Doing my 3 point turn just finished the reverse, looked round and all fine, got the bite and was just about to move off when some prick went flying through, braked and didn't hit him but didn't matter

Sorry about that mate, but I was in a bit of a hurry. ;)

fabienleclerq

The guys a **** for trying to squeeze past you but from the sounds of it its your fault for reversing without looking.

If I were you though I'd admit nothing and say he hit you while you stopped to see if he was gonna pass!

My only other saving grace may be that there was a car parked on his side of the road that he would have to have moved over possibly towards my side of the to overtake.

Think I'm just going to plead he was going to fast and could quite clearly see I was in the middle of a manouver. Not holding up much hope. So angry though, no courtesy at all. Whenever I see someone attempting a manouver I always allow them to complete it before setting off again.

You should check again though once you've got the biting point.

My only other saving grace may be that there was a car parked on his side of the road that he would have to have moved over possibly towards my side of the to overtake.

Think I'm just going to plead he was going to fast and could quite clearly see I was in the middle of a manouver. Not holding up much hope. So angry though, no courtesy at all. Whenever I see someone attempting a manouver I always allow them to complete it before setting off again.

You could be on to something if he left his lane. Although I suppose you reversing into him, presumably across a lane, might constitute you moving into a lane of moving traffic. Guess it depends on which side of the road the incident occurred.

Closest thing I've ever had to this was in a car park. There was a queue, the the car in front began to move forward so I crept along behind him. The car in front stopped so I stopped too and rolled back a bit to leave a respectful distance. In the mean time some old boy in a space next to me saw me move and reversed out....straight into my passenger door. He admitted fault and paid for the repair, but I've always had a wee feeling that he could have argued along the lines of me rolling backwards. You win some ands you lose some.

To be honest there's very little in what you've said that doesn't make it sound like you're at fault. You even say that the road was wide enough for the other driver. Best to accept it and move on.

I think waiting for someone to complete a manoeuvre is a courtesy (although also common sense) but I reckon ultimately it's up to you to make sure you can complete the manoeuvre safely.

My Left Nut

Insurance companies can be a right pain. We had a bump with a motor bike a few years back, pulled out to turn right as a van was turning into where we were coming out and this bike on the wrong side of the road bumped the front of our car once we were over the coming traffic.

Insurance company tried to go for joint liability but in the end we lost, never affected our no claims and insurance is still ?22 per month.

No one was hurt but the biker was a ******, in full black leathers no light on going on about think bike etc. After the bump he said he was fine changed details etc and went on our way. Few hours later the police called us saying he was injured!

Sounds like you will loose this one as they will say you should have noticed the car and stopped.

Boaby Ewing

Wait, you reversed into a moving car and you think it might not be your fault?

I see.

I may be wrong but seem to remember from my lessons that if you're in reverse and a car is coming you're meant to stop completely.

Correct answer.

Getintaethem

I see.

This

Guest C00l K1d

I see.

Technically is his fault but its hardly like hes reversed into a parked car.

He was in quite a vulnerable position in the road and you would assume most folk would give you time to get on your way and not fly down the back of you.

As they say though assumption is the mother of all **** ups.

Boaby Ewing

Technically is his fault but its hardly like hes reversed into a parked car.

He was in quite a vulnerable position in the road and you would assume most folk would give you time to get on your way and not fly down the back of you.

As they say though assumption is the mother of all **** ups.

The auld boy should have waited in a perfect world, but the onus is on the reversee (is that a word? It is now) to check nothing is behind them.

Lobey Dosser

I reckon you're going to be held at fault.

Onus is on the reversing vehicle to check the way is clear, and the speed of the other vehicle is irrelevant because it cannot be proven.

Think you're onto plums here I'm afraid.

Guest GhostHunter

Your insurance company thinks you're at fault ?

I think that pretty much ends your interest in this claim.

Unless you've got a witness to say he was speeding etc, it looks like you're going to have bite the bullet

Guest C00l K1d

These situations are a bit of a pain in the arse tbh.

Similar thing happened to me aswell, approaching a dual lane roundabout, guy pretty much gets to the line and decides to change lane from the right. Instead of realising he can't change straight away due to traffic in the left lane and maybe just doing a full burl around the roundabout (it was a wee one) he slams on the breaks and stops dead. I had seen him indicating so started to slow down anyway, but hadn't anticipated him slamming on the breaks and stopping dead. It was wet so i skidded and came to a stop on his bumper. Again, instead of just continuing around the round about to stop and talk to me, he shot away of straight on so maybe he thought he was at fault.

Even though i was at fault for not leaving enough distance, it was his stupidity and bad judgement that caused the bump in the first place IMO. I wasn't right up his arse or that but i was slowing down to stop at the line, not 10ft behind the line :laugh: Maybe he thought he was at fault and that's why he drove off but there was no damage to my car so i wasn't complaining.

The wee point that worries me most is how late in the story the parked car came to be involved on the road with room for vehicles to pass each other. I think it probably came from the same source as trhe two Nuns that we Old Polis used to use when arresting for Breach of the Peace, they of course would not give names or appear as witnesses, only stating that they were in a state of Fear and Alarm.

If you had seen him you should have stopped as technically you are on the other side of the road leaving his side of the road clear for him. You could say that you were stationary and he had to overtake the car on his side of the road and didnt move back into his lane correctly and clipped your car as he was passing. The problem may be how close the parked car was to your manoeuvre as you also may have been to close to carry out your turn safely . Insurance will go bump for bump without a doubt and imho its the best you will get, could be wrong mind. I've had people pull out in front of me making me slam the brakes on only for then to do an eight point turn because they wont use the whole width of the road to do the turn. Its a tad frustrating at times. Some peoples driving skills are terrible now and Im surprised I dont see more bumps than I do.

Guest C00l K1d

is this you ?

most likely not but the way you explain it seems similar.

A turn in the road is a u-turn with a reverse chucked in mate. Essentially a 3 point turn but youre no allowed to call it that anymore as youre allowed to use as many points within reason.

That videos a boy turning onto a road without looking for the speeding lambo :laugh:

I'm not saying I wasn't at all at fault, I was the one reversing at all, I was really just seeing if there was a law that he had to give way to me as I was in the middle of a manouver, had I been a bit more aware of my surroundings I might have been able to stop in time.

What angered me more was his attitude that he seems to think it was completely my fault when I really don't think it was.

And as for me adding in about the parked car later on, the parked car really isn't relevant, it's besides the point

Sounds like you're both at fault. Claim he was speeding and contact was on your side of the road. The boy sounds like a complete idiot and you've been really unlucky.

I'm not saying I wasn't at all at fault, I was the one reversing at all, I was really just seeing if there was a law that he had to give way to me as I was in the middle of a manouver, had I been a bit more aware of my surroundings I might have been able to stop in time.

What angered me more was his attitude that he seems to think it was completely my fault when I really don't think it was.

And as for me adding in about the parked car later on, the parked car really isn't relevant, it's besides the point

But it was you that mentioned it, so it must have had some relevance to you. Just read the post about the parked car, when you say it is your only saving grace I repeat that seems like you think its relevant and is some way from being besides the point. I am sorry but be careful of falling in to the trap of thinking up things to bolster your arguement as to fault. Sometimes easier just to bite the bullet.

Boaby Ewing

It was completely your fault.

You reversed into a moving car as you weren't properly aware of your surroundings.

Archived