Old Video Games - Memory Lane

tian447

Sitting tonight doing some programming work for Uni, and ended up talking about old video games, specifically ones you used to play but couldn't remember the names of.

The one I can never remember bugs the hell out of me. You controlled this little tank type thing and had to navigate through the level without getting blown up. Other things were shooting at you, but the main objective that sticks out from the game is to destroy the SAM Site Missile silos. I'm fairly sure that there was a female "computer" voice that would tell you what you had to do. Timeline would have been mid/late 90's. Graphics were "realistic" for the time.

A few I used to play in the mid 90's were Descent and Terminal Velocity - the first in particular was absolutely outstanding and I would still go back and play that again (I actually have it on DosBox, so there's nothing really stopping me). It's amazing to look back and see how simple these games were, but how engaging and fun they were (and some still are).

Are there any games you used to play but can't remember the names of?

William H. Bonney

I used to enjoy playing boxer and paperboy on my acorn electron but more often than not I got fed up waiting for the tape to load.

ArcticJambo

Are you describing Battlezone, tian? Simple line 3-D effect graphics?

Are you describing Battlezone, tian? Simple line 3-D effect graphics?

I'm not entirely sure if I am or not. Had a wee look at some videos on YouTube but I don't remember it being in space. Looks similar if it's not that though :)

ArcticJambo

I'm not entirely sure if I am or not. Had a wee look at some videos on YouTube but I don't remember it being in space. Looks similar if it's not that though :)

:) Battlezone seemed really cutting edge at the time ... basically a computer geek equivalent of Tony Hart.

Cannon Fodder was one of my favourites, could spend hours playing it!

Still remember their names :lol: Jopps, Jules, etc (I think).

PGA tour golf on the Playstation.

The wee jerk your player would do if you sank a put.

Those brave soldiers :sob:

Knight Lore on the Spectrum

Knight_Lore_-_1984_-_Ultimate_-_Play_the_Game.jpg

The company made more, but I can't remember the names !

I remember playing a few games like that and never having a clue what I was supposed to do

Those brave soldiers :sob:

Used to have a moment of silence when one of my brave comrades died.

:sob:

I used to love Platoon on the C64 but ended up hating it. I couldn't get past the tunnel bit, where the guy comes up out of the water. :(

Knight Lore on the Spectrum

Knight_Lore_-_1984_-_Ultimate_-_Play_the_Game.jpg

The company made more, but I can't remember the names !

What Ultimate got out a 48k computer was incredible. They went onto become Rare and made a fortune when Microsoft bought them.

Ocean did some good isometric games too - Head Over Heels and Batman.

cashgenerator

Predator, Gryzor(?), Target Renegade were all favourites. As was Green Beret!

Also something like Saboteur(?) where you were a ninja who had to blow things up and you could kill dogs. Lovely stuff!

Guest GhostHunter

'Skool Daze' and 'Back 2 Skool'.

Classic.

This....

Oh, and Match..completely addicted to it when it was out.

Auldreekie1874

I used to play a machine in one of the refreshment cafe's in Waverley in the late 80's.

They had Daley Thompson's decathlon and the one I played which I cant remember. It was a space invaders type game where the invaders used to come from the corners of the screen in a straight line of about 8,10 or 12 and loop across the screen untill you shot them, then another set would come from another corner and so on.

At the end of each level you would have the bonus rounds which were called things like Neptune, Mars, Pluto and, yes even Uranus! (great fun for a teenager back in the day :smiley2: )

Wars never been so much fun :lol:

loved that game, so simple yet addictive as ****.

Journeys end on the spectrum was a particular favourite.

Say What Again

Used to love Target Renegade, Double Dragon, IK+, Streets of Rage, R-Type, Fued, Football Director, and Treasure Island Dizzy. :D

This thread is bringing a wee lump to my throat. Got a Spectrum 48k in 85(?) and since I've smashed through the 128k, the Megadrive, Dreamcast, and all Playstations with wild abandon. Was actually thinking the other day that I don't really go daft for the games anymore - I must be getting auld.

Anyway, Target Renegade was the nuts, as were most of the other games mentioned. However, factually, the greatest game of all time is Championship Manager 01/02. Fact. End off.

Right, away to load up my Spectrum emulator. Match Day 2, anyone?

Guest GhostHunter

This thread is bringing a wee lump to my throat. Got a Spectrum 48k in 85(?) and since I've smashed through the 128k, the Megadrive, Dreamcast, and all Playstations with wild abandon. Was actually thinking the other day that I don't really go daft for the games anymore - I must be getting auld.

Anyway, Target Renegade was the nuts, as were most of the other games mentioned. However, factually, the greatest game of all time is Championship Manager 01/02. Fact. End off.

Back in 85, the phrase "Going Online" hadn't even been invented.

Now that's a scary thought.

turboesprit.jpg

Turbo Esprit. Zx Spectrums GTA.

I missed my History 'o' level for this.

Spectrum is go!

The Great Escape was genius.

tge.jpg

As were the Saboteur games.

saboteur2.jpg

Match Day was the mutts nuts n'all.

invernessjt
turboesprit.jpg

Turbo Esprit. Zx Spectrums GTA.

I missed my History 'o' level for this.

I thought this was the most amazing game ever.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I thought this was the most amazing game ever.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Try it now, impossible to make a left turn and change street :lol:

fabienleclerq

Champ 01/02 was immense.

My other old faves inc red alert, age of Empires2, simcity 3000, desert strike, tenchu, tekkan and streets of rage!

Football management games on the specy was all about "The Double" and "Tracksuit Manager". A shameful amount of my youth went on those two games.

Football management games on the specy was all about "The Double" and "Tracksuit Manager". A shameful amount of my youth went on those two games.

Football Director for the spectrum was mine.

There was a cheat in the spectrum football manager that made it lose its appeal.....during a match press break then type 'goto 300' (home team) or 'goto 400' (away team) to start an attack, you could interrupt a rival team attacking by doing this. (Works on emulators too).

Funny how some things can just stick in your mind.

Not sure if this is quite in line with the OP but for me best game of all time has to the Jak and Daxter Series.

Unreal. Sole reason for getting the PS4 - In the hope another game is released

Footballer of the Year and the (I think) World Cup 1982 game where you controlled a head and a foot to score. It also had a quiz element.

CM was brilliant, just wondering now if I still have 01/02 somewhere.

Used to love Super Hang On. Then Road Rash came along.

:vrwow:

road-rash-wipeout.jpg

I used to think the graphics on Manchester United Europe were amazing too...

1.jpg

I used to play a machine in one of the refreshment cafe's in Waverley in the late 80's.

They had Daley Thompson's decathlon and the one I played which I cant remember. It was a space invaders type game where the invaders used to come from the corners of the screen in a straight line of about 8,10 or 12 and loop across the screen untill you shot them, then another set would come from another corner and so on.

At the end of each level you would have the bonus rounds which were called things like Neptune, Mars, Pluto and, yes even Uranus! (great fun for a teenager back in the day :smiley2: )

Galaxians maybe?....

I'm still astonished that Road Rash hasn't ever been resurrected on any console. Was an epic game.

Skitching was even better... Basically the same game but on roller blades

Say What Again

Road Rash was an outstanding game.

There was little more satisfying than closing the gap on your mate, then lashing a metal chain into his coupon on the way past :lol:

Guest GhostHunter

My all time favourites - and the ones I spent the most amount of time on were

1. Sensible Soccer

2. Secret of Monkey Island

Indeed, number 1 got me a job as a games reviewer for C&VG

Maiden Gorgie

Like most above Attic Attack, Manic Miner & JSW

There was a game called Krakatoa too that i loved.

And when Out Run came out I thoght PC games had reached their pinnacle :lol:

Archived