Made-to-measure/bespoke suits in Edinburgh

Notbrainwashed

Notbrainwashed

I am looking to buy a damn good three piece suit for my wedding and I am considering made-to-measure or bespoke (got to get maroon, lining, right?). Can anybody recommend someone in Edinburgh who can do this? Willing to shell out so Slaters and Debenhams, etc are out - but around the 800-900 mark would probably be the maximum.

Opinions/recommendations? Wouldn't mind travelling a bit further afield, obviously. Got to get it right ;)

I was considering off-the-peg (Hugo Boss, for instance), but like the idea of having something custom-made and I'll never get the chance or justification to do so again. Although a friend reckons that the big brands have the superior and exclusive materials. Is this the case?

Suit discussion here...http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/137078-suits-where-to-go/

scott_jambo

Get the brand and style you want. Then get it altered would be my suggestion in regards to getting the best value high end suit. Hugo Boss/Armani.

Ede and Ravenscroft. On frederick st I think? Suits are the shit. My buddy works there so I get muchos discount ;)

Agree with Scott.

Unless your body is a radge shape you won't need one bespoke tbh.

I've always wanted a Dolce & Gabbana suit.

Nobody looks as sexy as the Italians when they rock up at a World Cup or Euros, head to do in their 3 piece D&G effort. :wub:

If you're budget is 800-900, get mtm. The suit will be more to your liking and will fit you better.

Don't waste your money on a Boss suit (I had a few when I was younger) - they use the same materials and are made in the same factory as M&S suits. Not very well cut either.

Other option is the in between MTM and off the peg. Try somewhere like Crombie on George Street.

Pick the cloth and style and they will alter an off the peg one to your measurements.

Notbrainwashed

Ede and Ravenscroft. On frederick st I think? Suits are the shit. My buddy works there so I get muchos discount ;)

What kind of prices are we looking at? Have you had many from there in the past?

Notbrainwashed

Agree with Scott.

Nobody looks as sexy as the Italians when they rock up at a World Cup or Euros, head to do in their 3 piece D&G effort. :wub:

I don't have a weird shape body, pretty normal in fact, but would like something really quite snug-fitting - but not 'tight'. Might be hard to simply adjust a three-piece suit to that. And for the money, if I can get custom-made...I dunno, I just like the idea of it. She's getting a special dress, after all.

Plus, wouldn't Italy's players have all their suits custom made by D&G? ;)

I don't have a weird shape body, pretty normal in fact, but would like something really quite snug-fitting - but not 'tight'. Might be hard to simply adjust a three-piece suit to that. And for the money, if I can get custom-made...I dunno, I just like the idea of it. She's getting a special dress, after all.

Plus, wouldn't Italy's players have all their suits custom made by D&G? ;)

My guess would be they were off the peg and adjusted to suit each player.

Anyhow, you get 3 different fits.

"Dolce&Gabbana men?s suits are developed along three main fits: Sicilia, Martini and Gold. Broadly speaking, the difference in these three fits lies in the proportions of the jackets: Sicilia is slim fit with wide lapels, Martini is regular in fit with medium width lapels, while Gold is slim fit with thinner lapels. All three versions of the suits maintain the sartorial quality which make Dolce&Gabbana a respected tailoring house, as the different fits tend to cater to different types of men, without compromising on quality"

TheMaganator

Get a British one. The British make the best suits.

Ede & Ravenscroft off the peg & tailored will set you back c?800

Or Crombie on George St

As I asked trotter, have you had experiences with them before?

Knew a few folk that swear by him but not used him personally, as far as suits go I could be used instead of the paper cut out for a 44 short jacket and 32W/32L trouser so have no need for M2M!

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Paul Smith suit

No further discussion required.

Get a full on 3 piece tweed suit with a matching tweed cap and a fob watch.

Always wanted to dress like some country bumpkin millionaire for a day.

Yep, got two rather nice suits from there. Last one was a rather nice two-piece, off the shelf, but tailored. Think it was 650 or so.

conn artist

Get a full on 3 piece tweed suit with a matching tweed cap and a fob watch.

Always wanted to dress like some country bumpkin millionaire for a day.

Walker Slater on Victoria Street for this suggestion. The stuff in there is fantastic.

Jim is a good guy, bought a suit from him a few years ago and it still looks like new.

Good old fashioned service :thumbsup:

http://www.tailorsedinburgh.co.uk/

Having said all that he is a wee teamer so maybe best avoided :whistling:

Mr James, Queensferry Street.

Used them before and was very pleased.

Should have said in my post that that's who I was meaning.

Agree with Scott.

Agreed, so tempted to ordered this today

http://www.cruisefashion.co.uk/dolce-and-gabbana-martini-peaked-3-piece-suit-637926?colcode=63792602 another ?200 off it if I buy it before midnight!

Agree with Scott.

http://www.cruisefashion.co.uk/dolce-and-gabbana-martini-peaked-3-piece-suit-637926?colcode=63792602 another ?200 off it if I buy it before midnight!

Notbrainwashed

http://www.cruisefas...olcode=63792602 another ?200 off it if I buy it before midnight!

Not really into D&G. Prefer something a bit more classic (along the lines of Burberry's suits, etc) and D&G have those little details which don't really sit right with me.

Cheers for everyone's help though. Will certainly look into Ede and Ravenscroft and Mr James (hadn't heard of him before) and the others too.

Keep your suggestions coming :)

I'd love to have a suit made. One day. Harris tweed, three piece and actually go buy the cloth direct from the weaver then take it to the tailor. Can't see such extravegance going down well at home mind. Might treat myself for my 50th.

• 2 years later...
Carl Weathers

Mr James, Queensferry Street.

Used them before and was very pleased.

Random bump - does anyone know if Mr James will tailor suits bought else where and if so how expensive are they?

Cheers

Ricardo Shillyshally

www.roseberrytailoring.com

Have you tried them. Are they any good? I noticed someone tweeting about them recently.

Have you tried them. Are they any good? I noticed someone tweeting about them recently.

Im a bit biased if you know what i mean. But if you are interested there could be a wee 10% jambo discount ;-)

Carl Weathers

What I am trying to sort is the collar roll I get on all of my off the peg suits -TM Lewin, M&S, Reiss etc. I think my shoulders are a bit squarer than average. If I could find a tailor that could deal with that I'd be delighted!

This article explains it:

http://articlesofstyle.com/36098/garment-doc-series-the-collar-roll/

I'd love a bespoke suit however I'd be never wear it to work.

It's also called "Square Back Neck" and can be caused by square shoulders, or shoulder width on the jackets simply being too tight. If it's square shoulders, the shoulder shape MUST be cut into your pattern to eradicate the problem. If you're buying jackets with shoulders that are too tight, then buy shoulders to fit you, and have the body taken in. It'll cost a few pounds in alterations, but you'll have a better looking suit.

Carl Weathers

I think it must be square shoulders as the jackets usually fit ok at the shoulders from the front and sides but look a bit wonky around the back.

Do you have any idea how much a tailor could cost to correct this? I'd probably be paying approximately ?200 for a jacket and trousers for work, so wouldn't mind paying up to ?50 to fix it.

Is the only other option made to measure?

Thanks for your help!

Stephane Grappelli

My first choice was either Jan's Boutique or Lookin' Trendy.

I'm not sure if they even exist anymore.

Guest jonesy

Years and years ago I read an interview with Donald Trump in an in-flight magazine. Said that unless your body is a very unusual shape, then off the peg is the best way to go. Advice from the top...

Archived