Tradition underpinned by innovation

jamboinglasgow

jamboinglasgow

I went to the Emirates last week while on a holiday in London and went on the guided tour. It was a very impressive stadium and blew me away (been before to watch Scotland v Brazil, but being drunk did not allow me to appreciate it when I was at the game.) But with the audio tour that you went around the stadium with, there was a central message they had about the Arsenal ethos, that club celebrates tradition of the club but underpins it through innovation to keep it at the head of the curve.

With the great English manager Herbert Chapman, he brought in revolutions in tactics, training, kits (numbers on the back of the kit to help the fans and white sleeves so Arsenal players could pick out each other more easily) even change the local tube station's name to Arsenal. Then you have the Arsene Wenger years, where his revolutionary new (to British football at least) approach to diet, training and style allowed Arsenal to punch back to the top. But the tradition is still there, things such as the captain still decides if the Arsenal players wear short sleeves or long sleeves.

Even the Emirates has so much innovation, in the pitch, in the changing rooms, around the stadium. But still maintains the tradition from Highbury (the Highbury clock, the executive lounges have the same art deco look as Highbury did, the stadium is surronded on the walls with pictures of players old and more recent and so on.)

While Tynecastle is never going to be near what the Emirates, nor will Hearts be the same level as Arsenal. I did think that is a great ethos to have at a club, tradition underpinned by innovation. Where a club knows how to hold its history up high but is not afraid to break the boundaries to get the advantage, its a mantra I hope we can take into being fan owned.

Private Womble

Good post, I think it's important to hold onto tradition that's why I would prefer we stayed at tynecastle, with the option of renovation, however I would still be open to a move to a purpose built stadium if it meant HMFC expanding and maximising profits.

Did you visit the museum? I thought it was great and something we could do in a new stadium / new main stand.

One of the most important things that should permeate a football club.

You've GOT to nurture it and bring it with you as you move/adapt.

That's why it's so disappointing to see soulless wee shithole stadiums that mean nothing to anyone, popping up all over the shop.

I've been on the Emirates tour as well. They've nailed it.

Jingle Bells

They have not moved to far., about 500 yards , to the former site of Islington Council's dump at Ashburton Grove.

jamboinglasgow

Good post, I think it's important to hold onto tradition that's why I would prefer we stayed at tynecastle, with the option of renovation, however I would still be open to a move to a purpose built stadium if it meant HMFC expanding and maximising profits.

I think Arsenal struck it lucky by being able to build a new top of the range stadium only a few hundred meters from the old stadium. On the tour they had an interview with Arsene Wenger on the little video screen where he said that they could have built it cheaper on the outskirts of the city or far from the Islington but Wenger said that they felt even if it cost much more to do it close to the old stadium it must be done. Mixing Emirates with old touches from Highbury also would make the move better for supporters (also having the old stadium still there in parts with it being redeveloped into flats.)

Did you visit the museum? I thought it was great and something we could do in a new stadium / new main stand.

Yeah, I thought the museum was a good size and one I did think could be replicated in any future stadium/stand. Good displays, some video, a few interactive exhibits, not over the top, seemed about right.

I went to the Emirates last week while on a holiday in London and went on the guided tour. It was a very impressive stadium and blew me away (been before to watch Scotland v Brazil, but being drunk did not allow me to appreciate it when I was at the game.) But with the audio tour that you went around the stadium with, there was a central message they had about the Arsenal ethos, that club celebrates tradition of the club but underpins it through innovation to keep it at the head of the curve.

With the great English manager Herbert Chapman, he brought in revolutions in tactics, training, kits (numbers on the back of the kit to help the fans and white sleeves so Arsenal players could pick out each other more easily) even change the local tube station's name to Arsenal. Then you have the Arsene Wenger years, where his revolutionary new (to British football at least) approach to diet, training and style allowed Arsenal to punch back to the top. But the tradition is still there, things such as the captain still decides if the Arsenal players wear short sleeves or long sleeves.

Even the Emirates has so much innovation, in the pitch, in the changing rooms, around the stadium. But still maintains the tradition from Highbury (the Highbury clock, the executive lounges have the same art deco look as Highbury did, the stadium is surronded on the walls with pictures of players old and more recent and so on.)

While Tynecastle is never going to be near what the Emirates, nor will Hearts be the same level as Arsenal. I did think that is a great ethos to have at a club, tradition underpinned by innovation. Where a club knows how to hold its history up high but is not afraid to break the boundaries to get the advantage, its a mantra I hope we can take into being fan owned.

Well... We're already louder hahaha!!!

Agree with most of what you've although I think we should look to create the best facilities we possibly can and since scottish weather is horrific at the best of times a stadium with a roof should be a priority, its just a shame the cost would be far too great for the foreseeable future

EDIT:

I think it would really cool if the club museum could be the main stand but converted into a building (Obviously once a new stand is in its place and if it can be moved - Or more or less, I can't see us being able to dismantle it, but maybe part of it would be savable to an extent)

jamboinglasgow

Would say, my point is not just about the stadium, but across the whole club, in all parts both on and off the field.

Would say, my point is not just about the stadium, but across the whole club, in all parts both on and off the field.

Yeah of course, I just picked up on that point as just now I feel that is our biggest problem right now but the stuff about wenger and the diets make perfect sense, to use a more local example, look at Stevie May - Obviously he is a natural finisher but I've been hearing his diet has changed dramatically to promote his own fitness where as I see our players in ******* nando's.

Or even what Paulo Sergio tried to do with the training on wednesdays taking away the traditional day off.

Your 100% correct there needs to be a strong work ethos at the club amongst other things. Perhaps the Heriott Watt (?) Sports Science people could be brought in to create personalized diets for each of the players. Theres also what Hartley did at Dundee with the Weight ban, Now I think that may be a bit drastic but it is still something worth looking into.

jamboinglasgow

Yeah of course, I just picked up on that point as just now I feel that is our biggest problem right now but the stuff about wenger and the diets make perfect sense, to use a more local example, look at Stevie May - Obviously he is a natural finisher but I've been hearing his diet has changed dramatically to promote his own fitness where as I see our players in ******* nando's.

Or even what Paulo Sergio tried to do with the training on wednesdays taking away the traditional day off.

Your 100% correct there needs to be a strong work ethos at the club amongst other things. Perhaps the Heriott Watt (?) Sports Science people could be brought in to create personalized diets for each of the players. Theres also what Hartley did at Dundee with the Weight ban, Now I think that may be a bit drastic but it is still something worth looking into.

Would agree with that. Fitness can be key, having the fittest squads in the league can make a big difference. You dont have to run players up and down hills or sand dunes to get them into peak fitness. Having a diet for each player, with sport scientists who can monitor and adjust the fitness training to bring to a peak (also individual training plans also mean you can combat injury.) That players know that come to Hearts, you will need to adjust and be strict with the assigned diet, but you will be fitter than any other team.

Then you can innovate in marketing to get more people in, or even the match experience to get maximum interest and in return maximum revenue. Even something like once a month, an open training session is held at Tynecastle like they did under Csaba (making a family day of it.)

Even the dynamic pricing was something that should have been innovative, but it was badly implemented. However just because something doesn't go well doesn't mean its faulty, it just means that you need review and rework it.

We should be the club who fans of other Scottish clubs look at and say "I wish we did that." And the thing is that if it is successful the other clubs will follow. Always staying at front means you can keep the advantage of doing it first.

We remember and respect the past but also look to the future.

Would agree with that. Fitness can be key, having the fittest squads in the league can make a big difference. You dont have to run players up and down hills or sand dunes to get them into peak fitness. Having a diet for each player, with sport scientists who can monitor and adjust the fitness training to bring to a peak (also individual training plans also mean you can combat injury.) That players know that come to Hearts, you will need to adjust and be strict with the assigned diet, but you will be fitter than any other team.

Then you can innovate in marketing to get more people in, or even the match experience to get maximum interest and in return maximum revenue. Even something like once a month, an open training session is held at Tynecastle like they did under Csaba (making a family day of it.)

Even the dynamic pricing was something that should have been innovative, but it was badly implemented. However just because something doesn't go well doesn't mean its faulty, it just means that you need review and rework it.

We should be the club who fans of other Scottish clubs look at and say "I wish we did that." And the thing is that if it is successful the other clubs will follow. Always staying at front means you can keep the advantage of doing it first.

We remember and respect the past but also look to the future.

I would hope with Fan ownership these sorts of things may become a reality. I think a lot of these other clubs have owners who aren't interested in spending or doing anything ground breaking so maybe with the fans these could actually happen, I think it would allow us to really lock down third most seasons (and I'm talking about getting europe every season)

Watt-Zeefuik

Well... We're already louder hahaha!!!

Agree with most of what you've although I think we should look to create the best facilities we possibly can and since scottish weather is horrific at the best of times a stadium with a roof should be a priority, its just a shame the cost would be far too great for the foreseeable future

EDIT:

I think it would really cool if the club museum could be the main stand but converted into a building (Obviously once a new stand is in its place and if it can be moved - Or more or less, I can't see us being able to dismantle it, but maybe part of it would be savable to an extent)

Love this idea. There have been some truly immense buildings moved in various parts of the world. Buy all the land behind the main stand out to the road, then moving the stand out to front the road and putting the museum, shop. and club offices there. Build the new main stand between it and the pitch.

Brilliant.

They have not moved to far., about 500 yards , to the former site of Islington Council's dump at Ashburton Grove.

A lot of bitter Spurs fans on here lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

There's nobody employed at any level in Scottish football who has anything like enough, confidence, vision and competence to pull off what Arsenal have done. Not even close.

By the light

There's nobody employed at any level in Scottish football who has anything like enough, confidence, vision and competence to pull off what Arsenal have done. Not even close.

Correct.

It might be a small detail in the grander scheme of things of what the OP is about, and I know we have more important financial issues at the moment......but I've always thought we should have some sort of commemorative entrance at the back of the main stand.

I'm not saying something thrown up quick and looks out if place but a properly designed, thought out and correctly integrated display of past great players (statues?) along a specifically designated walkway. Something symbolic of the club.

Maybe once we are out of the mire and with the great fundraising efforts shown by the fans, it's something we could do in the future?

Jingle Bells

A lot of bitter Spurs fans on here lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

The mighty Leyton Orient was the London team for me, it extended my terracing career for a good number of years.

Dalstonjambo

arsenal-square.jpg

As someone who lives very near arsenal - the money they made from this becoming flats is incredible.. Another very clever vision from the club

• 1 month later...
jamboinglasgow

Maybe a selfish bump, but I thought so far it feels as if innovation is the key word, coaching development is something I have not heard from any other club but it is something that could benefit us and give us an edge. To me from Ann's statement this showed it was the her view to bring in new ideas:

"We must put in place, first and foremost strong leadership. We need new skills, strategic thinking, and strong commercial and footballing management."

Lets hope Hearts strive to be at the forefront of new developments in Scottish football.

Dr Ian Malcolm

Tbf to our lads, you can't accuse them of a lack of fitness. Carrick, King, Nicholson, McHattie, Hamill, Robinson, Holt and Paterson can run all day. Stevenson and Hamill were arguably the two best trainers at the club - Hamill was certainly the most naturally fit player we had. Paterson, McKay and McGowan were all physically well developed as well.

Also, sportsmen tend to eat a hell of a lot of chicken. Going to Nandos a couple of times a week isn't a much of a problem.

Archived