Who is the best player you have seen play for Hearts

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Difficult to compare a centrehalf with a goalkeeper, or a winger with a target man centreforward, but, who is the Hearts player that you put right at the top of your list. Your favourite is not always likely to be the one who you thought was the most talented.

Robertson was my all time favourite.

Best though? Ability wise, I am torn between a few... Hartley, Cameron, Pinilla, Levein and Gordon... Fuller... Aguiar? Niemi?

I think it has to be Hartley though.

This will be very dependant on age as well as opinion.

for me (possible stating the obvious) its takis fyssas. he oozed quality on and off the park and im delighted i got to see him play for hearts.

his all round ability and footballing brain was a joy to watch

Hard not to say Robbo but Craig Levein was a class apart.Had he not suffered a couple of serious injuries he would have played at the very highest level,heard that Liverpool and Man U were looking to sign him just before he got crocked.

bigsuperslim1874

Hard not to say Robbo but Craig Levein was a class apart.Had he not suffered a couple of serious injuries he would have played at the very highest level,heard that Liverpool and Man U were looking to sign him just before he got crocked.

Was it Man U who were heavily linked with him?

Gigolo-Aunt

Pinilla/Fysass

Both players were in a league of their own.

With Pinilla its just a shame we could not get one season injury free/mentally right out of him - he would have scored goals for fun and we would have made a shit load of money out of it.

Sterling Archer

Pinilla/Fysass

Both players were in a league of their own.

With Pinilla its just a shame we could not get one season injury free/mentally right out of him - he would have scored goals for fun and we would have made a shit load of money out of it.

These plus Jankauskas

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Eamon Bannon was always one that I wished I'd seen in his first stint at Hearts. When I was going to games regularly, he was in his second stint and was in the twilight of his career, but you could just see he was a superb player, who would have been running the show if he was younger.

Jason Dufner

Edgaras Jankauskas for me. Appreciate he wasn't everyones favourite guy but for me I don't recall seeing anyone with a better football brain than him playing in the SPL for a long time.

I never thought I would see the 'big striker' role played by such quality in a hearts strip and I am delighted I did.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Did anyone ever see Willie Wallace playing for Hearts? My Step dad talks about him with a similar man love as we do Rudi sometimes.

A "tanner ba player" he reckons. To put this in perspective, he has been going to games regularly from the Fifties, and to choose WW as his all time best, he has put him ahead of some absolutely incredible players.

grumpyespana

Goalkeeper - Niemi

Defender - Levein

Midfield - Cameron & Hartley ( cannie split them )

Forward - Robertson

Grumpy.

PsychocAndy

Alex McDonald.

For everything he done at HMFC he should be getting a Sedan Chair along a rose petal covered M8 every home game.

We need to get a player like Doddie asap once out of administration.

A great leader on the pitch and a held court of the pitch. It wasn't just the young players that held him in awe, the older players listened to him too, the amount of respect his fellow pro's had for him was unbelievable.

Robbo

Craig Levien

Alan McLaren

Colin Cameron

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Say What Again

Sandy Jardine for me. Still absolutely oozed class at 36.

Probably had a big part in making Craig Levein the classy defender he became.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Do Kevin Keegan and Joe Jordan count?

I thought about mentioning this... I'd prefer to hear about guys that were more 'Hearts players'. Obviously these two are absolute stand outs too though. :thumbsup:

Caspian Primrose

Did anyone ever see Willie Wallace playing for Hearts? My Step dad talks about him with a similar man love as we do Rudi sometimes.

A "tanner ba player" he reckons. To put this in perspective, he has been going to games regularly from the Fifties, and to choose WW as his all time best, he has put him ahead of some absolutely incredible players.

Wallace is my fathers all time favorite player. To the extent that he even travelled through to watch him play for Celtic after signing for them.

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

Takis Fyssas was the most talented.

Craig Gordon probably up there as well.

Hi

Thomas Flogel, Pasquale Bruno, Robert Thomaschek and John Colquhoun were my favourates

Key

Funny you should mention Tomaschek, while I wouldn't go as far as saying he was the best I've ever seen, he was certainly better than many gave him credit for.

On topic, Very difficult to choose just one.

Would have to say Robbo though for his obvious goalscoring ability.

In terms of technical ability I would go for Fyssas.

Teuchterjambo

I was privileged to see Willie Wallace perform in his pomp for Hearts and he was my absolute hero in my early/mid teens ... absolutely devastated when he went to Celtic, at that stage I just couldn't understand why he would do that. He was a fine player and a terrific finisher, not what I would call a tanner ba player really but outstanding definitely. Looking back he left just as the team were starting to go back and it was a long time before they would get things together again so he made a good decison for himself and won a European Cup winners medal and of course that wee journey to the west helped his international career no end !

All that said and a hero as he was to me I think that there were many better players over the years who immediately preceded him, partciularly Dave MacKay and after him Robbo, Levein, Fysass, Skacel, Hartley and as others have mentioned the supremely talented Willie Hamilton.

I think your old man is indulging in a bit of nostalgia on WW ... as I would too with a few beers in me but given the age he must be he has seen a lot better players than WW but our heroes are always viewed through the tinted specs.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Funny you should mention Tomaschek, while I wouldn't go as far as saying he was the best I've ever seen, he was certainly better than many gave him credit for.

On topic, Very difficult to choose just one.

Would have to say Robbo though for his obvious goalscoring ability.

In terms of technical ability I would go for Fyssas.

This is always such a difficult one though, isn't it? I mean is the technique of a goalscorer breaking records, less than that of a guy who has tricks and step overs or wonderful ball control, who plays in midfield? Same with defenders, would Cannavaro be a less 'skilful' player than GoGo for example? Their positions and role make it difficult to define "technical ability" I often think.

queensferryjambo

I thought about mentioning this... I'd prefer to hear about guys that were more 'Hearts players'. Obviously these two are absolute stand outs too though. :thumbsup:

John Colquhoun and Robbo for me.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I was privileged to see Willie Wallace perform in his pomp for Hearts and he was my absolute hero in my early/mid teens ... absolutely devastated when he went to Celtic, at that stage I just couldn't understand why he would do that. He was a fine player and a terrific finisher, not what I would call a tanner ba player really but outstanding definitely. Looking back he left just as the team were starting to go back and it was a long time before they would get things together again so he made a good decison for himself and won a European Cup winners medal and of course that wee journey to the west helped his international career no end !

All that said and a hero as he was to me I think that there were many better players over the years who immediately preceded him, partciularly Dave MacKay and after him Robbo, Levein, Fysass, Skacel, Hartley and as others have mentioned the supremely talented Willie Hamilton.

I think your old man is indulging in a bit of nostalgia on WW ... as I would too with a few beers in me but given the age he must be he has seen a lot better players than WW but our heroes are always viewed through the tinted specs.

Perfectly possible TJ. :thumbsup:

Was WW not pushed out the door due to financial constraints?

Apparently Stein said that he had: "signed an entire forward line" when he captured Wallace.

Craig Gordon for me. Some might disagree and think it's hyperbole, but I idolised him at Hearts and thought he was destined for the very top. Some ridiculous saves that he had no right to make.

"Craig is a very, very good goalkeeper. In Europe, he is one of the best and among a group of keepers who can go forward and have a brilliant career. At this stage, he has already done so.

In Scottish football over the past few years, it is fair to say he could be one of the best players they have produced.

"The fact that he made a transfer to Sunderland for a lot of money in the summer just underlines his value." Gigi Buffon

John Colquhoun. Criminal the lack of caps and absolute kick-ins he got.

After that, Takis, Mickey, Gordon, Niemi and Levein.

Francis Albert

Just missed the Terrible Trio (or at least don't remember them) so for me it has to be Willie Hamilton.

Although I don't think Willie Wallace is a ridiculous suggestion - he was one of my earliest heroes and he stood out in a side that had aleady fallen disastrously from the

heights of just a few years before. I always thought "tanner ba' player" meant someone more in the Jimmy Johnstone (or "Tricky" Tommy Traynor or Rab Prentice) mould than

Wallace, who was just a very good centre forward, with good movement, passing, and goal scoring ability.

loveofthegame

I've been a ST since 1992 but was only 5 then.

We really have been blessed with some outstanding players.

Fyssas, Jankauskas, Hartley, Cameron, Gordon, Robbo are all very good shouts (my memory doesn't have much of Robbo at his best in it...).

I'd throw in Rudi (technically outstanding, and in 2005/06 could be teams almost singlehandedly when he could be arsed - always remember him destroying Ricksen and Barry Ferguson down in the corner at Tynie - not too many players could do that to FR and BF).

Also Neil McCann - on his day, as good as any player I've seen play for Hearts.

loveofthegame

Craig Gordon for me. Some might disagree and think it's hyperbole, but I idolised him at Hearts and thought he was destined for the very top. Some ridiculous saves that he had no right to make.

"Craig is a very, very good goalkeeper. In Europe, he is one of the best and among a group of keepers who can go forward and have a brilliant career. At this stage, he has already done so.

In Scottish football over the past few years, it is fair to say he could be one of the best players they have produced.

"The fact that he made a transfer to Sunderland for a lot of money in the summer just underlines his value." Gigi Buffon

Great quote!

CG is the only "world class" player Hearts have produced in my lifetime. Shame, while showing it at times, he has never gone on to the great things I thought he would thanks to injuries.

IMHO Rudi, Robbo, Levein & Takis stand out on terms of class/legendary status. Hard also to ignore Neil McCann (first time around)- his torturing of the Hun in the 1996 Coca Cola cup final was THE best individual performance I have EVER seen from a Hearts player.

Bowmans_Boot

Also Neil McCann - on his day, as good as any player I've seen play for Hearts.

Good shout.

So many.

John Colquhoun for me.

Just ahead of a big group all mentioned already.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Just missed the Terrible Trio (or at least don't remember them) so for me it has to be Willie Hamilton.

Although I don't think Willie Wallace is a ridiculous suggestion - he was one of my earliest heroes and he stood out in a side that had aleady fallen disastrously from the

heights of just a few years before. I always thought "tanner ba' player" meant someone more in the Jimmy Johnstone (or "Tricky" Tommy Traynor or Rab Prentice) mould than

Wallace, who was just a very good centre forward, with good movement, passing, and goal scoring ability.

Hmmm...

Is it possible that I'm mixing up my old man's opinions on Willie Wallace as the best he'd seen, and his description of Willie Hamilton as the "tanner ba player"? I'll check this with him.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

WILLIE HAMILTON AND WILLIE WALLACE PLUS WILLIE JOHNSTON.

JaG! loves a bit of Willie. ;)

(Joke, not meant to be taken personally or offensively)

Creepy Lurker

Neil MacFarlane was a class apart on his day. I know that a lot of people won't agree with this, but for me he's the best in my lifetime (I'm 26). Obviously can't compare him to others in the same position like Dave Mackay etc.

rudi must stay

Difficult to compare a centrehalf with a goalkeeper, or a winger with a target man centreforward, but, who is the Hearts player that you put right at the top of your list. Your favourite is not always likely to be the one who you thought was the most talented.

Robertson was my all time favourite.

Best though? Ability wise, I am torn between a few... Hartley, Cameron, Pinilla, Levein and Gordon... Fuller... Aguiar? Niemi?

I think it has to be Hartley though.

This will be very dependant on age as well as opinion.

I think the best i've ever seen is Gary Naysmith. He'd always win his battle defensively and would give us something going forward. A really excellent full-back, as his career after us shows

Teuchterjambo

Perfectly possible TJ. :thumbsup:

Was WW not pushed out the door due to financial constraints?

Apparently Stein said that he had: "signed an entire forward line" when he captured Wallace.

I think he was but I believe he was a TIC man at heart so it was possibly very much like the Hartley situation. A predictably perceptive quote from Stein , WW could play central and wide equally comfortably , mostly central with Hearts but quite often in wider areas for Celtic. I remember a game at Motherwell when WW came in from the right hand side and unleashed an unstoppable shot right across the keeper into the far corner, the power was awesome ... always remember it as one for the finset Hearts goals I have ever seen ... could be me this time wallowing in a bit of nostalgia though !

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I think he was but I believe he was a TIC man at heart so it was possibly very much like the Hartley situation. A predictably perceptive quote from Stein , WW could play central and wide equally comfortably , mostly central with Hearts but quite often in wider areas for Celtic. I remember a game at Motherwell when WW came in from the right hand side and unleashed an unstoppable shot right across the keeper into the far corner, the power was awesome ... always remember it as one for the finset Hearts goals I have ever seen ... could be me this time wallowing in a bit of nostalgia though !

Believe it or not, my old man described that very same goal to me once, I think. :lol:

Archived