Paul McCallum

cosanostra

Not sure he should be starting games for us. He looks a fair bit away from being good enough to lead the line at this level. Probably a decent option coming off the bench for the last 20 minutes but I'd rather go with Carrick from the start.

Also, Carrick will be with next year (probably) whereas McCallum won't (most likely).

I'm really not sure what the point in playing McCallum is. He's not good enough that he's going to win us games or points so why bother?

Hey Cosa!!

Mccallum looks an average player. No point in us developing other clubs youngsters, I thought Carrick had more about him when he came on.

Still to early to judge though, imo.

Wouldn't write him off completely just yet but it looks unlikely that he's going to do anything for us.

We should be getting more first team time for the guys who will be with us next season so we can hopefully hit the ground running.

He's really not doing anything for us.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Put Ambrose under pressure when he could. By no means a terrible performance. Not exactly set the Heather alight, but at 19 I never expected him to. We are a bit overly harsh on our centreforwards at Hearts, we often ignore the good things they do in a game and only judge them on goals scored. Obviously goals are the most important thing, but he can't do that all by himself.

Terrible footballer. Baffling signing.

I have to agree with this. Runs like John Sutton and can't see what he offers , other than Paterson playing in his natural posistion.

Unless there is a chance in him being with us next season, I see absolutely no point in him being with us for the rest of the season.

Gregory House M.D.

Wouldn't write him off completely just yet but it looks unlikely that he's going to do anything for us.

We should be getting more first team time for the guys who will be with us next season so we can hopefully hit the ground running.

He's really not doing anything for us.

Hard not to TBH. Can't pass, can't control, can't shoot, can't place a flick on, can't hold up the ball, can barely run or turn. Really looks out of place at this level.

Hey Cosa!!

Mccallum looks an average player. No point in us developing other clubs youngsters, I thought Carrick had more about him when he came on.

Still to early to judge though, imo.

Hey Scott, hope you're well.

Bold bit is spot on. He doesn't look good enough to contribute much in the way of goals so we should be trying to develop our own players first and foremost.

Maybe we should give him a chance to see if he actually is good enough? I'm not judging him based on 3 games, 1 of which was his debut about a day after signing and another against the best defence in the league.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Perhaps not the best game to judge him in but he had a couple of nice touches. He's not scared to put himself about and challenge defenders.

What did frustrate me about him though was the chance we had in the first half when Paterson was released down the right. Instead of bursting a gut to try and get into the box, McCallum was just jogging alongside Ambrose. Paterson played a decent ball across the face of goal and if he'd shown a bit more eagerness, he could have had a shot on goal.

Gregory House M.D.

Put Ambrose under pressure when he could. By no means a terrible performance. Not exactly set the Heather alight, but at 19 I never expected him to. We are a bit overly harsh on our centreforwards at Hearts, we often ignore the good things they do in a game and only judge them on goals scored. Obviously goals are the most important thing, but he can't do that all by himself.

Take away the goals aspect and he does nothing. His goals haven't even sprung to mind for me. He just looks a very poor footballer.

Here we go.

Kickback at its best :facepalm:

To be honest, your post is the worst on the thread so far.

Why not actually post your feelings on the subject instead of drivel like that?

Toxteth O'Grady

His signing seemed like a gamble to keep us in the league cup.

When that failed our season was over and we might as well send him home. As others have said pointless playing hi now.

Gregory House M.D.

Perhaps not the best game to judge him in but he had a couple of nice touches. He's not scared to put himself about and challenge defenders.

What did frustrate me about him though was the chance we had in the first half when Paterson was released down the right. Instead of bursting a gut to try and get into the box, McCallum was just jogging alongside Ambrose. Paterson played a decent ball across the face of goal and if he'd shown a bit more eagerness, he could have had a shot on goal.

That was him busting a gut.

Hey Scott, hope you're well.

Bold bit is spot on. He doesn't look good enough to contribute much in the way of goals so we should be trying to develop our own players first and foremost.

Yeah, I'm doing well cheers, nice and refreshed.

The boy is no Ngoo that's for sure. Big Michael was so raw but the way he held the ball up was probably the best I've seen since Velicka. McCallum doesn't have any of these attributes so far.

Maybe we should give him a chance to see if he actually is good enough?

Good enough for what, though? West Ham's training squad next season? To contribute to totally meaningless games at the end of our season?

I'm not writing the guy off as a footballer (far too early to judge) but I just don't see the point in him being with us for the remainder of a season that is already dead.

Hard to judge him on today, he was isolated for quite a large part of the game. Put himself about quite a lot and drew a fair few fouls.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Take away the goals aspect and he does nothing. His goals haven't even sprung to mind for me. He just looks a very poor footballer.

Disagree. He looks like he is isolated. I'd expect him and Carrick to strike up a reasonable partnership between now and the end of the season. 19 and only played three games? Far too early to write him off.

His signing seemed like a gamble to keep us in the league cup.

When that failed our season was over and we might as well send him home. As others have said pointless playing hi now.

It's maybe not a great idea sending him packing or other teams that we might want to borrow players from will look at the way we've treated him and might be put off.

He's here for the season and he is a very young player so he should be respected.

Last 20 minutes or covering injuries would be acceptable.

Yeah, I'm doing well cheers, nice and refreshed.

The boy is no Ngoo that's for sure. Big Michael was so raw but the way he held the ball up was probably the best I've seen since Velicka. McCallum doesn't have any of these attributes so far.

Ngoo was better and contributed more than he looks capable of.

I would be quite happy if we could get Ngoo back for next season.

Gregory House M.D.

Disagree. He looks like he is isolated. I'd expect him and Carrick to strike up a reasonable partnership between now and the end of the season. 19 and only played three games? Far too early to write him off.

I'm gonna go ahead and write him off right here and will be astonished if he starts performing to the level required.

ToadKiller Dog

Thought he did ok first half , won a few free kicks and maybe against a non Glasgow side would have won a few more .

Will judge him better against lesser sides than the expensively put together for champions league but more like an English championship side Celtic .

Thought he worked hard

Stevenson wll go up top and Holt will come into midfield. No place for McCallum until Stevenson inevitably gets injured again.

Good enough for what, though? West Ham's training squad next season? To contribute to totally meaningless games at the end of our season?

I'm not writing the guy off as a footballer (far too early to judge) but I just don't see the point in him being with us for the remainder of a season that is already dead.

I'd probably agree that it's pointless him being here if there are no plans to move for him in the summer (when, as I understand it, he's out of contract?).

You might not be but others are actually writing him off as a footballer based on about 180 minutes of football.

It's maybe not a great idea sending him packing or other teams that we might want to borrow players from will look at the way we've treated him and might be put off.

He's here for the season and he is a very young player so he should be respected.

Last 20 minutes or covering injuries would be acceptable.

This is a good point, which makes me wonder about loan arrangements like this. Are we obliged to play him, if he is fit?

If something like that is part of the agreement, it would seem pretty unsatisfactory.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I'm gonna go ahead and write him off right here and will be astonished if he starts performing to the level required.

That is your prerogative. Personally I think that is beyond harsh though. I think you write some players off far too early.

Sexton Hardcastle

Anyone who expected big things of this kid need thier head looking at.

He's a lower league journey man but still has time to develop at this level. He's playing with an inexperienced young team with an apparant manger and coaching team who dont 'have a clue.'

Games like today more suited him but it was always going to be an impossible task given the way we set up. Starting Carrick would have been much the same if not worse as he has no strength and his timeing still looks very poor.

Guest C00l K1d

A weak Hearts side gave a decent Celtic side a good game. The lad played his part.

What were people expecting?

A hattrick every fecking game by the sounds of it

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Anyone who expected big things of this kid need thier head looking at.

He's a lower league journey man but still has time to develop at this level. He's playing with an inexperienced young team with an apparant manger and coaching team who dont 'have a clue.'

Games like today more suited him but it was always going to be an impossible task given the way we set up. Starting Carrick would have been much the same if not worse as he has no strength and his timeing still looks very poor.

There was a cross in to the box that Carrick couldn't jump high enough to head in the second half, once Paul had gone off... It was crying out for a good solid header.

Won a few fouls in the first half which took the pressure off us so fair doos to him for that. Thought he could have got on the end of patersons cross tho, I do sit up the other end of Tynie right enough so maybe not.

Had McCallum bust a gut getting into the box he would have taken Ambrose with him rather than leaving space for Paterson to take on his man 1v1 which is what he would have expected Paterson to do instead of not looking and playing a blind pass across the 6 yard box.

When you are restricted by age and finances to what you can sign as we were then I think we got what we could at the time.

He did not look fit today. He has been brought in to take the pressure off of paterson and carrick but if he is not fit he should not be playing. Won his fair share of headers with nobody around him to pick them up and put himself in decent positions on the 1 or 2 times we actually got up the park.

If that was him fully fit then I write him off now.

If as I believe he is not fully fit then I write him off for us this season as we don't have the time left to get him firing but believe he could go on to a decent career in the future.

As always i want him to score a hat trick next game to prove me wrong.

Agree with others he needs more time to adapt. But I say we are down now so I don't see the point of helping another team's player develop. Play Carrick and / or Oliver now they are fit.

Were you not banging on about how Adam King must have something if a team like Swansea wanted him and had a go at Locke for not giving him a chance?

Well guess what?

This guy is a West Ham player.

Sexton Hardcastle

I also imagine there is a clause in his contract that states he plays first team football. If he was signed on a bit part role I'm sure he could have got offers from other lower league sides.

So likely hands are tied.

Guest C00l K1d

Were you not banging on about how Adam King must have something if a team like Swansea wanted him and had a go at Locke for not giving him a chance?

Well guess what?

This guy is a West Ham player.

That's what i don't get.

Folk saying locke was an arse for not playing King he must be a decent player if EPL teams are after him

But players like Ngoo and McCallum are written of as shite players who are never gonna make it despite being arguably in a better set up. Liverpool certainly do anyway.

A weak Hearts side gave a decent Celtic side a good game. The lad played his part.

What were people expecting?

The why have we not signed messi brigade need a dose of reality I think

To be honest, your post is the worst on the thread so far.

Why not actually post your feelings on the subject instead of drivel like that?

A thread having a go at a young lad whos only played a few games?? That's the drivel part.

Knock yersel out

Archived