White Gloss Paint

jimmyjambo

currently doing some decorating round the house, normally use Dulux brilliant white gloss, last used it in May last year for the bedroom but going yellow already, so I thought I would use Crown this time but it does'nt even look white in the tin, it looks like a light green colour, done 3 rooms with it, the woodwork was whiter before I started :sob: , so now thinking of trying a water based white, any painters out there or home DIY people with any tips

currently doing some decorating round the house, normally use Dulux brilliant white gloss, last used it in May last year for the bedroom but going yellow already, so I thought I would use Crown this time but it does'nt even look white in the tin, it looks like a light green colour, done 3 rooms with it, the woodwork was whiter before I started :sob: , so now thinking of trying a water based white, any painters out there or home DIY people with any tips

Water based for me.........stays white, dries quick, low odour & easy to clean the brushes.

Some say it peels, chips easy but tbh I've never had an issue. Happy decorating:-)

I had the same problem a few years back, hadn't even finished painting all the woodwork and it had started to yellow (it was a matter of weeks/months after regulations changed and they altered the VOCs). My old man recently painted with the cheapest water based gloss he could find and it still looks great, about 2 years on.

So my advice as a DIYer, go water based, although I wouldn't bother with "non drip", it's crap.

Water based for me.........stays white, dries quick, low odour & easy to clean the brushes.

Some say it peels, chips easy but tbh I've never had an issue. Happy decorating:-)

cheers, going to try and get some Leyland water based tommorrow

Crown paint for me it does look slightly off white but does dry white

cheers for that, will see what it looks like tomorrow when it drys

Use a white primer first then white gloss, pretty sure my guy diluted down with some water also.

Then again I could be talking sheeite. :-)

jack D and coke

Oil based gloss or eggshell does start to yellow within a few weeks unfortunately but the water based stuff apparently does stay whiter longer although I don't use it an awful lot to be certain. The new crown gloss is yellow in the tin but dries white. I prefer off whites on my woodwork such as antique white by Leyland or farrow and ball colours such as All White, Wimborne White or Pointing. Now Farrow and Ball stuff is expensive (they only do water based paints these days) if you buy the real stuff but most paint merchants Paint Shed or Peffer will make you an equivalent much cheaper.

Oil based gloss or eggshell does start to yellow within a few weeks unfortunately but the water based stuff apparently does stay whiter longer although I don't use it an awful lot to be certain. The new crown gloss is yellow in the tin but dries white. I prefer off whites on my woodwork such as antique white by Leyland or farrow and ball colours such as All White, Wimborne White or Pointing. Now Farrow and Ball stuff is expensive (they only do water based paints these days) if you buy the real stuff but most paint merchants Paint Shed or Peffer will make you an equivalent much cheaper.

now the paint (crown gloss) is starting to dry it is tuning white, I thought I was going to have to redo if all, next time I'm going to try leylands water based paint

Archived