Wayne Rooney to sign new contract

Chaps

He's a very lucky laddie.

He's lucky to be as gifted as he is.

He's already on 250k a week, the figure's not so ridiculous when you see that.

What do these players spend it on!?

He's lucky to be as gifted as he is.

He's already on 250k a week, the figure's not so ridiculous when you see that.

What do these players spend it on!?

50 percent is tax

Poor guy

I never said that. I don't think he is worth it, but no one should ever have to pay 50% tax on any portion of their wage.

It is the Labour way though. I believe in the 70s, the higher rate was 80%, with the lower rate 33%.

Anyway, I digress, the contract is desperation by Man Utd. There is better value out there, from their point of view.

45 percent now, thanks to Generous George.

Make that 35% on the small technicality that as soon as you pay 40% tax you drop down to 2% national insurance.

You do know we don't have a Labour government?

Yes I do actually, & I wake up every morning thanking the good lord for this happy state of affairs.

I never said that. I don't think he is worth it, but no one should ever have to pay 50% tax on any portion of their wage.

It is the Labour way though. I believe in the 70s, the higher rate was 80%, with the lower rate 33%.

Anyway, I digress, the contract is desperation by Man Utd. There is better value out there, from their point of view.

Yes they should. Nobody needs 150k a week as it it. Tax him more.

I think this`ll settle Moyes a bit. If a wee exodus of his top players started then it may have signalled a genuine decline at Man U.

Maintaining Mata, RVP and Rooney as their main attacking players will help attract some very good players in the summer, if not Man U`s reputation alone. However, despite being such an illustrious club, big players leaving could still put potential signings off.

Moyes can sit back a bit now and go about rebuilding his defence and centre of midfield.

Yes I do actually, & I wake up every morning thanking the good lord for this happy state of affairs.

So why do you equate the 40% tax rate under a Tory government with Labour?

Disgusting. Absolutely obscene that someone should get paid that amount for playing football.

I agree in part but ultimately if you put it in the context of the value of the English Premiership i.e. the broadcasting revenue, merchandise, worldwide appeal, revenue generated by attendances etc it is actually probably about right. Rooney is an elite player in his peak years and at one of the biggest clubs in the world so, although it is a massive wage, it is on par with other top players. Similarly, some film stars can make over ?20m/film but that is because it's the going rate, there's the demand and they are the best in their profession. He's just bloody lucky he is blessed with a talent that allows him to command such wages.

Awful more from United. The RVP/Rooney thing is holding United back. Both are excellent players but they need Mata central and get some pace running off him with one of the two of them up top.

Think this could be the end of RVP.

There is better value out there, from their point of view.

I totally agree with that. A ridiculous amount of money to spend on Rooney.

Allowayjambo1874

?15m per year = more than the turnover of any Scottish club bar the old firm, and probably more than the turnover of most of the first and second division clubs in England (for example Sheff Utd's turnover was around ?10m and they are one of the biggest clubs in bottom 2 divisions).

All that is wrong in the game summed up with the details in Rooney's deal.

Archived