Cashback from Brown - new tax law

Das Root

Basic allowance has increased by ?600 meaning cashback on taxes this year. Announced today to counter the loss of the 10% tax band.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7397705.stm

Sounds like Brown's keeching it!! Going to cost ?2.7bn to cover, and they're reducing the threshold for 40% tax.

Finally some (half) decent news from Labour.

Basic allowance has increased by ?600 meaning cashback on taxes this year. Announced today to counter the loss of the 10% tax band.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7397705.stm

Sounds like Brown's keeching it!! Going to cost ?2.7bn to cover, and they're reducing the threshold for 40% tax.

Finally some (half) decent news from Labour.

You are too generous. Anyone earning less than ?10,000 is still worse off than before the budget. Anyone earning between ?18,000 and ?40,000 is another ?120 better off. And the country has to borrow ?2.7bn more.

You are too generous. Anyone earning less than ?10,000 is still worse off than before the budget. Anyone earning between ?18,000 and ?40,000 is another ?120 better off. And the country has to borrow ?2.7bn more.

Aye, it's another soundbite to try and stem the bad press. Around 600,000 folk will no longer pay tax with the raising of the allowance so it's those above and below ?10k pa that don't really see much of a benefit but they're mainly be Hibs fans anyway :P

Trying to votes, Mr Brown - Labour are truely sickening.

I know I bang on about Independence, but if we ignored the issue for a second I'd tell you the exact same. New Labour are disgusting, truely horrific party who claim to fight for people but actually do nothing but line thier own pockets.

Seen Wendy Alexander today getting in a cab at Holyrood, it was a standstill all the way up to Waverley. Instead of walking like I, she sits in the cab. I seen her get out the taxi at Waverley, onto the train to Glasgow, she's straight into First class. Somes up New Labour to me.

jamboinglasgow

Was thinking today that the problems of labour are not just because of Brown. Saw the headline that labour were going to remove him before the next election but who could replace him. Labour were so desperate to get rid of blair that they failed to realise his way got them into power. Now its rotting and people are losing patentice for labour. The fact that Boris Johnson is now London Mayor is enough to make anyone to notice that the support for labour has gone (if you told me Boris would be London Mayor two years ago I would of collapsed laughing.)

Brown's move to scrap the 10p rate must go down to the one of the stupidest political moves as no matter how much you make everyone else well off, the fact that it hurts most the ones who are core to your political belief means you become and easy target for the opposistion and put the public against you.

Just the normal Labour Chancellor script.

Taxes up and up, squandering up, ballooning trade deficit, ballooning Government deficit and spiralling debt, roaring inflation, waste, massive devaluation of the currency etc etc.

The worst Chancellor in living memory - the process to cure the damage he has done to the economy of this country will be absolutely brutal. It didn't need to be like this.

Stuart Lyon

Oh and the Tories are so good at economics witness Black Wednesday 16/9/92! what did interest rates reach that week? And all those jobs in steel, coal and the docks that the Tories got rid off for the benefit of the workers. Don't get me wrong Labour has its faults but the other main party is not innocent. The Lib Dems don't count as they are middle of the road ditherers. Oh and the SNP is a one trick pony i.e. without Salmond they are talentless.

Just the normal Labour Chancellor script.

Taxes up and up, squandering up, ballooning trade deficit, ballooning Government deficit and spiralling debt, roaring inflation, waste, massive devaluation of the currency etc etc.

The worst Chancellor in living memory - the process to cure the damage he has done to the economy of this country will be absolutely brutal. It didn't need to be like this.

You sound like a real Tory - all criticism and no policy: well none that you'll air for scrutiny. Oh sorry there is one - "Hug a hoodie" . That's tough on crime!

BTW the way when I bought my house the interest rate was 15% and there were millions unemployed - they didn't get the chance to pay more tax!

Boaby Ewing

Looks like a reasonable fix to me tbh - would have been nice if they could have done it in some other way than just lumping it onto the debt, but what's another couple of billion at this juncture.

:P

You sound like a real Tory - all criticism and no policy: well none that you'll air for scrutiny. Oh sorry there is one - "Hug a hoodie" . That's tough on crime!

BTW the way when I bought my house the interest rate was 15% and there were millions unemployed - they didn't get the chance to pay more tax!

Where in a comparison of Brown to previous Labour Chancellors do I have to provide anything other than criticism?

Are your political opinions really this lightweight?

What do your personal circumstances on buying a house have to do with anything?

coppercrutch
Looks like a reasonable fix to me tbh - would have been nice if they could have done it in some other way than just lumping it onto the debt, but what's another couple of billion at this juncture.

Well there you have the problem. This money 'given' to the people will have to be paid back by the people, through tax one way or another !!

It is really a joke. Is it that difficult to get a simple tax system sorted out. Rather than giving and taking every 2 days.

Brown is clueless. He will go down as possibly the worst Chancelor and probably worst PM in living memory.

What a loser. As for that Blair, slimy git sneaked out just as he knew the **** was about to hit the fan.

At least he has brains, even if he is a slimy little get.

Well there you have the problem. This money 'given' to the people will have to be paid back by the people, through tax one way or another !!

It is really a joke. Is it that difficult to get a simple tax system sorted out. Rather than giving and taking every 2 days.

Brown is clueless. He will go down as possibly the worst Chancelor and probably worst PM in living memory.

What a loser. As for that Blair, slimy git sneaked out just as he knew the **** was about to hit the fan.

At least he has brains, even if he is a slimy little get.

I never thought we would get a PM that would make Blair appear competent.

Shambles!

coppercrutch
I never thought we would get a PM that would make Blair appear competent.

Shambles!

It is a shocker. Brown could probably get away with it if he blamed all the Labour economic mistakes on the previous chancellor.

Only one major problem with that plan however.....;)

The Mighty Thor

Christ on a bike.

You don't happen to advise a shady Russian 'businessman' on ruining a football club do you? :)

Where in a comparison of Brown to previous Labour Chancellors do I have to provide anything other than criticism?

Are your political opinions really this lightweight?

What do your personal circumstances on buying a house have to do with anything?

You don't have to provide anything but it helps if you show what can be better - and you didn't.

Lightweight is when you have nothing better to offer.

My personal circumstances (high interest rates) were everyone else's at the time and Brown has shown by his fiscal management how to keep interest rates down and has done consistently over a long period. No boom and bust. Things could always be better but they could definitely be much worse.

You don't have to provide anything but it helps if you show what can be better - and you didn't.

My personal circumstances (high interest rates) were everyone else's at the time and Brown has shown by his fiscal management how to keep interest rates down and has done consistently over a long period. No boom and bust. Things could always be better but they could definitely be much worse.

This really is nonsense. The whole of the western industrialised world has had low interest rates for several years, mainly because of relatively benign economic conditions throughout the world. While it is true that Brown did not carry through policies that had a detrimental effect on interest rates at the time, he did carry through policies that mean we are now up ***** creek without a paddle.

We have nothing in the coffers because he has spent it all (and more). If there is going to be an economic turndown, we are in a much more precarious position than most other western industrialised nations and that is precisely because of Brown's policies.

As is typical of all politicians, they claim the credit for when things are going well, and blame outside sources for when things are going badly. Brown is no different.

Frankly, it doesn't matter one little bit if the Tories or anyone else have anything better to offer or not. Labour has lost the trust of the people and they will be punished in time-honoured fashion.

Brown was on the radio this morning arguing that because 3 year pay deals have been agreed with public sector workers, the country will not be too badly affected by inflationary pressures. In practically the same breath he said that our economic problems stem from the credit crunch, high oil prices and basic food prices. The UK government has no control over these prices. This means inflation will increase and if he thinks that the unions will stick to pay agreements when inflation is 2 or 3 times higher than their members' annual increases, then he is more of a fool than I thought.

As an aside, the recent opinion poll which gave the Tories 49% support, Labour 23% and the Lib Dems 17%, if repeated in a General Election would result in the biggest landslide in British history. The Labour party would end up with fewer than 30 seats. Now we all know that's not going to happen, but it puts into perspective the anger felt throughout the country of the incompetence of the government.

coppercrutch

Are you for real ?:eek:

Archived