Well done Steven Gerrard.........?96,000 donation to Hillsborough Families

CJGJ

Footballfirst

I donated a weeks worth of wages to MND last month.

Made me feel really good too.

That was may initial take on it too. Why now, almost 25 years after the event, and why just ?96K (a week's wage) when he could afford 10 x as much.

That said, it is a welcome gesture all the same.

That was may initial take on it too. Why now, almost 25 years after the event, and why just ?96K (a week's wage) when he could afford 10 x as much.

Really? Just 96k? :lol:

He has just given every family ?1000.

Footballfirst

Really? Just 96k? :lol:

He has just given every family ?1000.

With the likely use of "Gift Aid" it probably only cost him ?50K net.

:cornette:

I really don't get why this man receives so much stick from supporters on here. Model professional and top, top player who has served his club well.

Footballfirst

I must admit that I a a bit of a cynic when it comes to publicising donations of this type. The charity obviously benefits, but I wonder if there is some element of grandiosity involved from Gerrard or his PR people.

12 years ago, Niall Quinn donated more than ?1M, raised at his testimonial, to charity.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2429199/Charity-to-benefit-from-Quinns-testimonial.html

That is the sort of donation that might reasonably have been expected from the Liverpool captain, given his current wages, and someone who has been with the club from before Hillsborough (an academy player at the time).

Is that all?

Just over a 3rd of his weekly wage.

In minimum wage terms, he's handed over ?80.

Had he not donated a penny not a word would have been said. Kickback is fudging priceless sometimes!

I must admit that I a a bit of a cynic when it comes to publicising donations of this type. The charity obviously benefits, but I wonder if there is some element of grandiosity involved from Gerrard or his PR people.

12 years ago, Niall Quinn donated more than ?1M, raised at his testimonial, to charity.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2429199/Charity-to-benefit-from-Quinns-testimonial.html

That is the sort of donation that might reasonably have been expected from the Liverpool captain, given his current wages, and someone who has been with the club from before Hillsborough (an academy player at the time).

It's reasonably expected that he should be handing over a million quid of his own money that he has earned?

Footballfirst

Had he not donated a penny not a word would have been said. Kickback is fudging priceless sometimes!

Had he donated his ?96K and not a word had been published, then not a word would have been said on JKB either.

I really don't get why this man receives so much stick from supporters on here. Model professional and top, top player who has served his club well.

I give him stick because he deliberately tried to end Gary Naysmith's career.

Plus because the kiddy on Liverpool fans on here are absolute bangers.

Some sad little people on this thread............. look in the mirror and feel ashamed for you should be.

Many of you are generally excellent posters but have shown themselves up as second class on this occasion

Gregory House M.D.

Some sad little people on this thread............. look in the mirror and feel ashamed for you should be.

Many of you are generally excellent posters but have shown themselves up as second class on this occasion

Were we meant to pish ourselves with glee that a multi-millionaire chucked a grand at each of the Hillsborough families and then had it publicised?

Gregory House M.D.

It's reasonably expected that he should be handing over a million quid of his own money that he has earned?

He's made 10 times his donation sitting in the treatment room. "Earned" my arse.

Were we meant to pish ourselves with glee that a multi-millionaire chucked a grand at each of the Hillsborough families and then had it publicised?

as I said second class and this proves the point

Gregory House M.D.

I'd advise against personally abusing people and calling people "second class".

If you want to think Steven Gerrard chucking a little over half a weeks wage while earning ?7m a year for kicking a ball lying on the treatment table is some godly act we should all aspire to then that is up to you. Personally I think it's a kind act that was distastefully made public and is way below what he could actually afford to give in reality.

I'd advise against personally abusing people and calling people "second class".

If you want to think Steven Gerrard chucking a little over half a weeks wage while earning ?7m a year for kicking a ball lying on the treatment table is some godly act we should all aspire to then that is up to you. Personally I think it's a kind act that was distastefully made public and is way below what he could actually afford to give in reality.

Thanks for your advice.........what I said still stands (and please read and quote it correctly)........you of course hand over a fair proportion of your income to charity and give of your time so I suppose you could consider yourself exempt from critiscm

As you are so close to the story perhaps you could tell us the true facts about just who wanted the publicity............but of course you don't know but keep on giving us your wisdom.

This donation is but a small part of the help given to the organisation by the player but as I have said with your range of charitable works it pales into insignificance. Keep up your good work.

I don't see the need for him to publicise it to be honest. Although it might convince other wealthy benefactors to do the same so I guess it's a good thing.

Gregory House M.D.

Thanks for your advice.........what I said still stands (and please read and quote it correctly)........you of course hand over a fair proportion of your income to charity and give of your time so I suppose you could consider yourself exempt from critiscm

As you are so close to the story perhaps you could tell us the true facts about just who wanted the publicity............but of course you don't know but keep on giving us your wisdom.

This donation is but a small part of the help given to the organisation by the player but as I have said with your range of charitable works it pales into insignificance. Keep up your good work.

At least you're not getting yourself all worked up as if I just insulted a member of your family. That would be embarrassing.

Seymour M Hersh

http://www.telegraph...estimonial.html

Aye but Niall Quinn didn't put his hand in his pocket but all the people that paid to go to the various testimonial events did. A great gesture from NQ but different.

At least you're not getting yourself all worked up as if I just insulted a member of your family. That would be embarrassing.

You are doing a good job yourself on the embarrassing front without my help.

I don't see the need for him to publicise it to be honest. Although it might convince other wealthy benefactors to do the same so I guess it's a good thing.

I assume his reasoning was to convince others to donate.

Good on him, a great gesture.

I would suspect that the charity would wish it to be publicised in order to generate further donations.

Gerrard strikes me as a genuine guy - he could have moved club for more money and prestige several times in his career but chose not to. You dont see that too often in the modern game.

Gregory House M.D.

Gerrard strikes me as a genuine guy - he could have moved club for more money and prestige several times in his career but chose not to. You dont see that too often in the modern game.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, and :rofl:

Gregory House M.D.

Brilliant response.

It's all that myth deserves. The only reason he plays for Liverpool today was because his family were receiving death threats.

As someone who used to sit and watch Comuc Relief/Children in Need etc and moan that the feckers getting free publicity wouldn't miss the total raised if they combined their takings from one gig/show I must praise Gerrard and hope more famous folk who can afford it do the same.

Certainly rather this than playing on the guilt of the skint masses.

EPYxue9.gif

What does Ezio's charitable activities (or lack of) have to do with anything on this thread?

Wonder if anyone else can spot the pattern to some posters opinion on this?

I promise you as a Spurs "diehard" who has seen them FOUR times I have no agenda! :)

Its likely that Gerard makes around ?12m a year and he makes that on the back of fans most of whom live in a city where poverty and deprivation are rife.Its all wrong.

Wonder if anyone else can spot the pattern to some posters opinion on this?

Glad to know that I wasn't the only one who had spotted this pattern.

I wonder what the reaction would have been if Wayne Rooney had donated a similar sum to a Munich disaster memorial?? :rolleyes:

Really? wasn't the way I seen when throwing his fists about in a Southport boozer.

Gerrard said he didn't want the donation to be made public.

Find it hard to criticise someone for donating to charity tbh, but if folk get their kill out of doing that purely because he plays for Liverpool then all power to them.

I think it's all relevant. Would I give a weeks wages away to charity or a cause I care for? Probably not.

I am not a supporter of any football team in England or indeed anywhere apart from Hearts, but I would never criticise anybody who donates money to something close to his heart. If I recall Gerrard is actually an Everton supporter but his cousin was killed at Hillsborough.

Some people on here are being extremely petty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived