U17 Coach - Chris Smith resigns

Footballfirst

Footballfirst

Chris Smith ?@chrissmith0075 Protected Tweets 21m

After four and a half fantastic years, I have decided to resign from my position at Hearts FC. The time is right for a new challenge ??

Don't know what to make of this one. Chris had been assisting Robbie Neilson with the U20s. May have felt he was overlooked when Robbie was appointed to replace Darren Murray

I seem to recall (albeit on here) reading that he was quite highly rated. If so, it's a bit of a shame but as we will have a new manager soon and with Murray left I'd like the new manager to set up a new coaching structure.

Didn't hearts advertise for an u15-17's coach recently?

Yep I thought they did.

Maybe this was already common knowledge?

jamboinglasgow

I seem to recall (albeit on here) reading that he was quite highly rated. If so, it's a bit of a shame but as we will have a new manager soon and with Murray left I'd like the new manager to set up a new coaching structure.

I would rather not, the manager is a short term appointment, they shouldn't be the ones who decide who his coaches the academy teams, it's something that requires long term planning, so either a director of football, an academy director who answers to the board or the board themselves as part of a plan decide appointments below Under 20 level. Manager of course can have main input in the management team.

He wasn't full time was he? Sure his young son trains at the Academy at the weekends.

These guys are ten a penny in this day and age.

I wonder if he has something lined up. It's hard enough to get a coaching job, strange to give that up. Good luck to him

This the boy who done without his wage when all the troubles started?

Pretty sure it was a different guy.

Francis Albert

Maybe the new (soon to hopefully be) owners starting to clear the decks at all levels??

The hopefully soon to be new owners are in no position to start clearing any decks. And why would they want to clear the decks of our highly successful youth coaches?

I would rather not, the manager is a short term appointment, they shouldn't be the ones who decide who his coaches the academy teams, it's something that requires long term planning, so either a director of football, an academy director who answers to the board or the board themselves as part of a plan decide appointments below Under 20 level. Manager of course can have main input in the management team.

I don't think there's a massive need for the roles you mention and even then the new manager is more qualified than the guy we currently have. I'd want a coaching structure created by him. The new manager should (IMO) be the head of our coaching structure.

jamboinglasgow

I don't think there's a massive need for the roles you mention and even then the new manager is more qualified than the guy we currently have. I'd want a coaching structure created by him. The new manager should (IMO) be the head of our coaching structure.

My point is the average manager has about 2 maybe 3 years if their lucky in the role. So you bring the first manager in, he fills all coaching roles with people he likes, he gets fired/leaves, the next guy comes along and changes the coaching roles with the people he wants, we need to end a number contracts, sign up new coaches. Its wasteful and causes constant upheaval and instability at the club. The time of the manager who has long term time at the club and everything is past or passing, and clubs blow so much money up the wall by the practice of changing everything for the next manager who comes along (look at Hibs, the amount of players, coaches and managers they have been through in the last 4 years is mental all because they keep bringing in a new manager, who has a different style and way of running things, so they get rid of the previous managers players, the backroom staff, bring in new players and backroom staff, then that manager is gone and they get rid of more backroom staff and players and bring in new ones.

If this was 10-20 years ago I would agree with you, but football has moved on, every other country in the world apart from Britain has moved on, but managers are no longer term, they make decisions based on the short term as their jobs can go after a run of bad results, so what interest have they in really shaping the club with the plan of 5 years down the line.

My point is the average manager has about 2 maybe 3 years if their lucky in the role. So you bring the first manager in, he fills all coaching roles with people he likes, he gets fired/leaves, the next guy comes along and changes the coaching roles with the people he wants, we need to end a number contracts, sign up new coaches. Its wasteful and causes constant upheaval and instability at the club. The time of the manager who has long term time at the club and everything is past or passing, and clubs blow so much money up the wall by the practice of changing everything for the next manager who comes along (look at Hibs, the amount of players, coaches and managers they have been through in the last 4 years is mental all because they keep bringing in a new manager, who has a different style and way of running things, so they get rid of the previous managers players, the backroom staff, bring in new players and backroom staff, then that manager is gone and they get rid of more backroom staff and players and bring in new ones.

If this was 10-20 years ago I would agree with you, but football has moved on, every other country in the world apart from Britain has moved on, but managers are no longer term, they make decisions based on the short term as their jobs can go after a run of bad results, so what interest have they in really shaping the club with the plan of 5 years down the line.

I get all of what you are saying, but I still disagree. If we need to appoint football men I want our senior football man in charge of that. Firstly I think that our next manager will be around a while and even if he wasn't we need somebody to stabilise our club.

Chris Smith wasn't full time, his 'proper' job is as a taxi driver. None of the youth coaches at Hearts are in it for the money - their remuneration just about covers their travel costs.

The danger is he may not be the last to leave

Being in admin is hurting us in the background.......trips that are usualy organised at youth level are not going ahead or being delayed, investment that was once made has been reduced.

There are a number of coaches who are considering a move who once would not have thought about it.

This is one of the downsides of being in admin and as soon as we are out it the important things need to be addressed re young players.......... contracts both those in the first team squad and those below, coaching staff and a rebuild of the scouting system.

:vrface:

Yes it's pedantic, but it's also accurate... we are going through admin and a cva for a reason... to save the club. Rangers shut up shop and became 'the' rangers to avoid settling their debts or at the very least dealing with them!

Chad Sexington

Yes it's pedantic, but it's also accurate... we are going through admin and a cva for a reason... to save the club. Rangers shut up shop and became 'the' rangers to avoid settling their debts or at the very least dealing with them!

Not that I want to go over tedious old ground but its the same players, the same stadium, the same manager, the same fans. Of course its still fecking Rangers. They went bust and put a the before their name to weasel out most of their debts.

It's still the same club.

Rudolf's Mate
Chris Smith wasn't full time, his 'proper' job is as a taxi driver. None of the youth coaches at Hearts are in it for the money - their remuneration just about covers their travel costs.

In that case it's more likely personal reasons he's left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not that I want to go over tedious old ground but its the same players, the same stadium, the same manager, the same fans. Of course its still fecking Rangers. They went bust and put a the before their name to weasel out most of their debts.

It's still the same club.

Completely agree with this. It's cringeworthy chat. It will be even worse when we go and get pumped there next season.

Completely agree with this. It's cringeworthy chat. It will be even worse when we go and get pumped there next season.

If we're out of Admin well no get pumped by them. You've got that old mentality I hope our new manager whoever he may be does not have. Rangers have a couple of decent players but are mostly made up of young players like ourselves. I'll be buying my season ticket with a view to win that league you should be to.

If we're out of Admin well no get pumped by them. You've got that old mentality I hope our new manager whoever he may be does not have. Rangers have a couple of decent players but are mostly made up of young players like ourselves. I'll be buying my season ticket with a view to win that league you should be to.

I but my season ticket hoping for league wins every year but that doesn't make it any more achievable.

Also your assessment of their team is inaccurate. Two youngsters started, they had six players you couldn't argue are SPL standard. Three are signings that they may or may not have made in the SPL and the two youngsters. Also Templeton on the bench and an injured SPL 'keeper. Too many think it will be an easy ride next year, it won't be.

1 Simonsen

4 Faure booked at 29 minutes

5 Wallace booked at 62 minutes

2 Foster

6 McCulloch booked at 30 minutes

3 Mohsni booked at 38 minutes

7 Aird

11 Law booked at 91 minutes

9 Daly

8 Shiels (substituted for Templeton at 71 minutes')

10 MacLeod

That's probably about there strongest starting 11 apart from maybe the goalie. Not been paying to much attention to them but sheils and Temps have not been regulars this season. Only three stand outs for me are Wallace, Law and Daly. With the addition of a few experienced pros we should match that lot. They are not the Rangers of old ffs they scraped a win with that great team yesterday.

I but my season ticket hoping for league wins every year but that doesn't make it any more achievable.

Also your assessment of their team is inaccurate. Two youngsters started, they had six players you couldn't argue are SPL standard. Three are signings that they may or may not have made in the SPL and the two youngsters. Also Templeton on the bench and an injured SPL 'keeper. Too many think it will be an easy ride next year, it won't be.

1 Simonsen

4 Faure booked at 29 minutes

5 Wallace booked at 62 minutes

2 Foster

6 McCulloch booked at 30 minutes

3 Mohsni booked at 38 minutes

7 Aird

11 Law booked at 91 minutes

9 Daly

8 Shiels (substituted for Templeton at 71 minutes')

10 MacLeod

5 players booked at home v. Arbroath.

36 posts on a thread about a guy who must 'work' about 6 hours a week. I've got a hobby that demands more than that.

I hear the Cleaner has also resigned ... hmmm wonder what's going on there??

He's also the guy who was very prominent in the development of Sam Nicholson and Adam King when they made the jump from 15's to 17's so possibly a bigger loss than appears on the surface.

Archived