Wenger says Mata sale 'unfair'

tartofmidlothian

jambo4_0matty

Not unfair. Just clever from Chelsea. Like having loan signings like Lukaku out in the prem where they can't play against their parent team.

No danger they would have sold him to Utd if they were up challenging them this season or if they had still to play Utd. Can see Wenger's point but theres not exactly much they can do about it

He called the timing of the transfer window as a little unfair. As with everything media related to Arsene they make it look like he's being a whingeing auld prick through shan headlines, when you read what he actually says isnae even that bad.

Say What Again

He called the timing of the transfer window as a little unfair. As with everything media related to Arsene they make it look like he's being a whingeing auld prick through shan headlines, when you read what he actually says isnae even that bad.

How? As I said on the other thread, unless the season hasn't started yet, or is finished, you'll always have played one team more than others, so from his definition, any signing from that point on is unfair on the teams you've yet top play.

:huh:

How? As I said on the other thread, unless the season hasn't started yet, or is finished, you'll always have played one team more than others, so from his definition, any signing from that point on is unfair on the teams you've yet top play.

Wenger has recently been saying the January Transfer Window is a lot of shite and should be done away with.

that's his point

Say What Again

Wenger has recently been saying the January Transfer Window is a lot of shite and should be done away with.

I assume he means all business must be conducted outwith the season then and not year round transfers, as that, by his logic, would be unfair.

1. I assume he means all business must be conducted outwith the season then and not year round transfers, as that, by his logic, would be unfair.

You assume correct

Say What Again

that's his point

If it is, he doesn't make it very well and sounds like he's whinging.

His direct quotes suggest an all season transfer window is OK.

Either you scrap it completely,
or you leave it open until as long as possible
to the last four games.

'But when I arrived in England, t
he window was open until April, the whole season, and it was not a problem.

'Why did you change it? To create that high intense activity and suddenly in January everybody becomes nervous.

'
Before it was the whole season and it did not create any problem.'

But with an all season window, you can sign a player before you play Spurs but after you've played Man City. That's not fair on Spurs according to his interview there.

You assume correct

I don't, as he's OK with all season long transfers. There will always be a point you've played one team more than another.

If it is, he doesn't make it very well and sounds like he's whinging.

His direct quotes suggest an all season transfer window is OK.

Either you scrap it completely,
or you leave it open until as long as possible
to the last four games.

'But when I arrived in England, t
he window was open until April, the whole season, and it was not a problem.

'Why did you change it? To create that high intense activity and suddenly in January everybody becomes nervous.

'
Before it was the whole season and it did not create any problem.'

But with an all season window, you can sign a player before you play Spurs but after you've played Man City. That's not fair on Spurs according to his interview there.

I don't, as he's OK with all season long transfers. There will always be a point you've played one team more than another.

The point he made a few weeks ago was about scrapping it all together, he has been on record as saying that he wanted the transfer window to end before the start of season and you go with what you've got (barring dispensation for serious injury)

Say What Again

The point he made a few weeks ago was about scrapping it all together, he has been on record as saying that he wanted the transfer window to end before the start of season and you go with what you've got (barring dispensation for serious injury)

I like Wenger and would love Arsenal to win the league, but I don't see how he can suggest a January transfer window is unfair as you'll have played some teams more than others, but all season transfers are OK, when surely the exact same thing he's complaining about, applies?

If it was to do away with a window altogether, I'd understand, but he seems open to all year long business.

I think he's always said that hasn't he? He's been saying it for years anyway.

I can see his point. Another thing that's unfair is when loan players can't play against their parent club but they can in all other games.

Arsenal making excuses already. Of course it could help Chelsea but saying it makes it more likely to happen. Tbf might have been a simple answer to a clever journalist's question.

Maybe should have signed Mata themselves. Man U missed out on Ozil in summer allegedly. Would that have been fairer?

What a gallus/arrogant/wideo/confident move by Mourinho.

Or alternatively, it's just because he thinks ?37 million for Mata is a pretty solid piece of business for a player he clearly has no intention of using unless he absolutely has to.

By that method, the Jan window should just be scraped?

By that method, no transfers will be allowed after the first game has been played.

I can see his point. Another thing that's unfair is when loan players can't play against their parent club but they can in all other games.

They can do that, if both clubs allow.

Exactly!

The slime balls of the media at their usual - and it's not restricted to football.

Bazzas right boot

He's entitled to his opinion, don't know why people and the media get wound up- He isn't a fan of the January transfer window and never has been.

Clever by Chelsea, I think Jose as pretty much said that loaning players/ selling a the right time can hurt your rivals.

It Might work, but Man Utd will be stronger next year so it could be viewed as incredibly short sighted by Chelsea ( even more so if Oscar/ Hazzard get crocked), and if Lukaku was playing for Chelsea now in his form it might have been more beneficial for Chelsea, so although Lukakau playing against their rivals might benefit Chelsea, time will tell if it will hurt Chelsea more by not having Lukaku in their set up, as in my opinion it weakens the current Chelsea squad.

It Might work, but Man Utd will be stronger next year so it could be viewed as incredibly short sighted by Chelsea ( even more so if Oscar/ Hazzard get crocked), and if Lukaku was playing for Chelsea now in his form it might have been more beneficial for Chelsea, so although Lukakau playing against their rivals might benefit Chelsea, time will tell if it will hurt Chelsea more by not having Lukaku in their set up, as in my opinion it weakens the current Chelsea squad.

I think Mourinho was right to put Lukaku out on loan, he has already managed to help Everton take points off league rivals and i think he needed to be playing week in week out to help him develop. He wouldnt have got as near as much game time at Chelsea and this loan spell has worked very well so far for both Chelsea and Everton.

Captain Canada

Wenger is the Norris Cole of the football world. He should just focus on his own team and trying to win something for a change.

On the flip side, Arsenal have still to play a Mata-less Chelsea. Man Utd don't.

Mata wasn't getting a game at Chelsea anyway. That's why he wants to go. Him leaving will have no negative effect on Chelsea this season.

Mata wasn't getting a game at Chelsea anyway. That's why he wants to go. Him leaving will have no negative effect on Chelsea this season.

They are still weaker.

Anyway, there was nothing stopping Arsenal bidding for him.

Also, going by his theory you should not sign or sell anyone as soon as you have played your first game of the season, since the number of times you play each side becomes uneven. Arsenal have and do though.

Dry your eyes Wenger, that is what I say.

kingantti1874

Just listened to it, blown out of all proportion..all he said it was that it would be better if fixtures were spread evenly around transfer window. Can't see the problem

Just listened to it, blown out of all proportion..all he said it was that it would be better if fixtures were spread evenly around transfer window. Can't see the problem

Just the fixtures at the top end? What about teams fighting for Europa League? Relegation?

If it were to work, the window would need to open after round 19, have a winter break then close the window and start the fixtures again, Just nonsense from Wenger.

Nothing but clever business from Chelsea. Sell a good player to a team that you are not directly competing against this season, who you do not have to face again this season, and who might help take some points off your title rivals.

In terms of transfer windows, I don't see any issue with having year round transfers. Probably helps teams like us keep hold of our better players though.

The People's Chimp

Very negative thinking from a good coach. Suprising

Had to respond to it somehow and although it come across as bleating, he knows exactly what Mourinho was up to, and is letting Mourinho know that.

After The Watershed

Does anyone else remember Henry going back to arsenal on loan in January 2012. Unfair signing then as well obviously. Wenger must have hated being able to sign him.

peebles jambo

Chelsea are my English team and i'm gutted that the "chosen one" has sold Mata, he (Mata) will stick it up our rings every time we play united now

Chelsea are my English team and i'm gutted that the "chosen one" has sold Mata, he (Mata) will stick it up our rings every time we play united now

If benitez had sold mata(which he would never have done) he would have been hounded out of chelsea, ridiculous from chelsea imo

Its not 'unfair' its a bit of a dick more/ tactical approach by Mourinho but even then Wenger really just needs a striker and arsenal have a title contending team

Berbatov would probably be a good shout short term (Maybe try and punt Bendtner at the same time?) Doubt they would pay it but apparently Cavani would cost them over ?55m Jackson Martinez (Porto) could be decent too, although googled him and apparently he is a target but doesn't want to sign (good to see tbh hate EPL cherry picking from teams that should be able to tell the to GTF)

Taking this further, aren't suspensions of players unfair? Are the fact games are played at different times of year unfair?

Any league competition is inevitably unfair. I'm struggling to see how a mid-season transfer can be any real cause for complaint, though.

Also, I reckon there is about as much in this being a tactical move by Mourinho to disadvantage rivals, as the signing of Willian was to mainly to get it up Spurs- ie actually not really the case at all.

I wonder how Wenger would`ve handled days gone by when you could sign players at anytime?

Pellegrini moaning aswell.

Could everyone not moan about Man City(and Chelsea for that matter) having a sugar daddy and almost taking everyone out the game for some of the best players around? What`s a level playing field and whats not?

Wee man and wee team mentality whinging about these things imo.

I`ll give Man Utd their due, they don`t moan about other clubs dealings or business.

This is a THIRTY SEVEN MILLION POUND transfer on a long term contract to the biggest club in the country. Are people seriously suggesting that a primary factor in the deal going through was the possibility that the player could play well against a rival in the remainder of the current season? :lol:

At best, it was a wee bonus for Mourinho. You don't sell top players to rivals just in case they perform in one match ffs :lol:

This is a THIRTY SEVEN MILLION POUND transfer on a long term contract to the biggest club in the country. Are people seriously suggesting that a primary factor in the deal going through was the possibility that the player could play well against a rival in the remainder of the current season? :lol:

At best, it was a wee bonus for Mourinho. You don't sell top players to rivals just in case they perform in one match ffs :lol:

Its Chelsea shiteing it at FFP, Mourinho happy as a pig in shit to obfuscate

Archived