New League without either of the Old Firm ?

Mr Quagmire

Mr Quagmire

Could it ever happen without the old firm ? Tell them they can head down south for the championship ! not the EPL.

Why not let another 4 teams up from the First Division ?

I personally think it would be good for Scottish Football, in the future anyway.

Or maybe it would not work, i don't know.

discuss.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Being brutally honest, our league would be one of the worst in Europe without those two. :sad:

Spellczech

Much as I hate them the SPL would become like the Irish or even worse the Welsh Leagues... Out of Europe before everyone else is back from their summer holidays and all clubs utterly incapable of attracting any players of any calibre whatsoever.

loveofthegame

Don't want this to happen.

As much as i detest them and the bias/blatant cheating, it wouldn't be the same without them.

If Hearts never win another trophy in my lifetime (im only 21 so im really hoping that this wont be the case...) then i'll still be able hold onto 1998 and 2006 until the day i die. No-one can take those feelings away, and winning a diddy league without the OF would not get anywhere near that feeling of achievement imo.

I am a firm supporter of creating a larger league and only playing each team twice, but getting rid of the OF is, imo, a non-starter.

Edit: I also don't see how the league would survive, certainly not at any decent sort of level. Those who say the league would thrive without them are talking utter pish. The standard would decrease and even less decent players would come here, whilst the OF would continue stealing the best young talent. In the Premiership Rangers and Celtic would become far far richer and there popularity within Scotland would grow even more. Can you imagine kids' chat "Support a Scottish team playing in the Premiership, or support some small club playing in a diddy league?"

Seymour M Hersh
Being brutally honest, our league would be one of the worst in Europe without those two. :sad:

And it's such a good league at the moment with those two pieces of dirt! I'd love it to happen we'd find our level as a country (league) and crowds would flock back for a couple of reasons. Genuine competition and no bigot sisters!

loveofthegame

and crowds would flock back for a couple of reasons. Genuine competition and no bigot sisters!

IMO, pure garbage.

Marmeladent?rtchen

We must have totally exhausted the new manager posts to be talking about this again!!! :P

Skivingatwork
IMO, pure garbage.

People go to watch a winning team, not the old firm!

PresidentRomanov

Winning a Scottish League Title without Celtic or Rangers FC in it, wouldn't mean alot.

I'd give anything to see us win it with them in it though - and when Mr Romanov makes you all eat your words, we just might :)

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
And it's such a good league at the moment with those two pieces of dirt! I'd love it to happen we'd find our level as a country (league) and crowds would flock back for a couple of reasons. Genuine competition and no bigot sisters!

We would find our level.

Right next to the Welsh and Irish leagues!

The standard of player would drop considerably. What would be the attraction in coming to Scotland?

RockyBalboa
Winning a Scottish League Title without Celtic or Rangers FC in it, wouldn't mean alot.

I'd give anything to see us win it with them in it though - and when Mr Romanov makes you all eat your words, we just might :)

You been sniffing glue again? :)

As sad as it is to say. The league might not survive without the OF.

I take it you are talking about the huge amounts of revenue that they generate around the country........? We get bigger crowds year in year out against the likes of Aberdeen or Hibs than we do against these two.

Were the OF involved when we won against Gretna in the Cup? Was Hampden full? Did the Hibbies fill Hampden against both Killie and Dunfermline?

I watched Hearts V's Dundee at Tynie in the old first division in a crowd of over 19k and we weren't even in the same league as these two reptiles. The quicker these two FO the better for me!!

An idyllic league scenario without the baggage of the OF is one thing ................but a Scottish league hoping to attract backing with the OF operating in our midst as an outpost of the cash rich EPL.........eh nope :sad:

thee jambo

If Man Utd played in this league they'ed finish third. No other teams will ever be allowed to win the league.

When we finished second rangers almost caught up with us . this will never happen again.

PresidentRomanov
You been sniffing glue again? :)

Nothing to do with you - you've never seen your team come even close, and you never will :107years:

RockyBalboa
Nothing to do with you - you've never seen your team come even close, and you never will :107years:

No bite. ;)

super_vlad

sorry guys but this is very much workable !

you can not compere the irish leagues or the welsh to the scottish for a start, because i'm pretty sure that football is defo not the biggest played sport in ireland, not sure about the welsh tho. Are you telling me that people will stop going to see hearts because they are not playing celtic or ranagers ? That 17 000 people would stop going to a edinburgh debry that has the title on the line ? In this country we live and breed football, are we going to stop because there is no celtic game ? Celtic and ranagers do bring in a lot of money into the game because of there global reach, but image all the svum bags from edinburgh or aberdeen etc who currently support either half of the OF, will they still support them when they are getting hammered in the championship ? The rest of the league will have to cut the cloth in the short term, but whats to say that a exicting SCOTTISH league will not flourish, look at holland, scottish companies will still sponor the scottish teams, yes maybe not as much as before tho.

WE need to stop worrying about the OF leaving us, as i have said in another post, THEY NEED US MORE THAN WE NEED THEM ! remember the days of under 20000 at celtic and 17000 at ipox, what happenes when they are not winning titles any more ? yes glasgow may support them but others will not, i remember ipox only 2 years ago, when under paul le tube the attendeaces were shocking around 36000, i think .

P.s - the notion that we should breakaway is un workable, we need to make the league better and fairer for all teams, or we need to pish the OF off so they throw the toys out the pram first, they will not be allowed to join anyother league (no-way will uefa sanaction a move to england) so they will have to get around the table.

super_vlad
it would be boring without them. The big games are what make this league.

so playing celtic for nothing to gain is better than playing hibs for the title ?

Toxteth O'Grady

The OF can GTF.

Anyone who thinks that the other SPL clubs wouldn't survive without them should look at the attendance on Saturday for a match between Ebbsfleet and Torquay.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_conf/7382167.stm

Over 40,000 turned up for a match where both teams were in with a genuine chance of winning without biased refereeing.

hoof.hearted

I would quite like a British League. Let us all start at the bottom & find our own level. Us in the Championship & the Hobos in Div 2.;)

Keep the Scottish Cup but do something original with the diddy cup.

The Old Tolbooth

I want a pint of what your on!

The Old Tolbooth

you can not compere the irish leagues or the welsh to the scottish for a start, because i'm pretty sure that football is defo not the biggest played sport in ireland, not sure about the welsh tho. Are you telling me that people will stop going to see hearts because they are not playing celtic or ranagers ? That 17 000 people would stop going to a edinburgh debry that has the title on the line ? In this country we live and breed football, are we going to stop because there is no celtic game ? Celtic and ranagers do bring in a lot of money into the game because of there global reach, but image all the svum bags from edinburgh or aberdeen etc who currently support either half of the OF, will they still support them when they are getting hammered in the championship ? The rest of the league will have to cut the cloth in the short term, but whats to say that a exicting SCOTTISH league will not flourish, look at holland, scottish companies will still sponor the scottish teams, yes maybe not as much as before tho.

WE need to stop worrying about the OF leaving us, as i have said in another post, THEY NEED US MORE THAN WE NEED THEM ! remember the days of under 20000 at celtic and 17000 at ipox, what happenes when they are not winning titles any more ? yes glasgow may support them but others will not, i remember ipox only 2 years ago, when under paul le tube the attendeaces were shocking around 36000, i think .

P.s - the notion that we should breakaway is un workable, we need to make the league better and fairer for all teams, or we need to pish the OF off so they throw the toys out the pram first, they will not be allowed to join anyother league (no-way will uefa sanaction a move to england) so they will have to get around the table.

The main reason it would not be workable is because of TV revenue, we would get virtually nothing compared to what we get now in TV rights as no one would be interested in paying large amounts of money to screen a mediocre league.

The standard of player at each club would soon drop to well below what it is now, and the league would be not a lot better than the league of Ireland I reckon.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

That's right, because when Vlad gets a sniff at league glory he just snatches it with both hands and lets nothing upset the title challenge.:rolleyes:

Sorry to say but the only way Scottish football would survive would be if the old firm didn't just play in engerland but moved stadiums as well. The weegie media would love for them to move down south. It would let them break in to the English market. The SPL would get about the same coverage as the first division gets now. The weegie media would just follow the old firm about all the time.

So if an SPL was to work without the old firm they need to be booted out of Scotland all together.

I'm up for that.;)

Yeah, whatever........................unbelievable !!!!

funktasticlad

I cannot believe this is even up for debate?

IMO it would result in

1. More glory hunters supporting them than there is now if they were in the EPL.

2. TV money would be peanuts if games televised at all

3. Club budgets would be deducted due to revenue lost playing OF/TV money

4. Above would make the standard of play 1st or 2nd division at best

5. Any non old firm league won would be feel pretty worthless as its not contested by scotlands top teams

Any advantages are outweighed massively by the points made above.

I would welcome cutting them loose. I think that Scottish football fans would seriously welcome the change, as would Scottish business, who would see the opportunity to support a club through sponsorship who actually had a chance of playing for the title in a fair league.

Families would consider going to football which could be priced well for family groups.

TV money from Setanta would go, but surely the BBC or ITV would want to cover a new Scottish league.

Would be great to have Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Motherwell all playing for the league title. Imagine what a season would be like if 3 teams had a shot at the title with 4 games remaining? I think you'd forget all about the weedgebags then for sure.

A lot of teams that suffer under the OF gloryseeking would see supporters return (OF supporters who should always have supported St Midden would go watch St Midden and support their beloved OF team too).

Downsides:

Less money from TV

Fewer foreign imports (like most people have been wanting all year!!)

No prospect of beating Rangers or Celtic to the title (like that would be allowed to happen today anyway!!)

A big dent in the co-efficient (be real - how often does that affect us? It gives us an extra place in Europe, but there would be 2 extra places anyhow)

Upsides:

A fair league

A competitive league where it goes to the wire every season

A chance for young scots to flourish

Football families would want to watch

A chance for all our Chelsea supporting members to also cheer on Rangers without compromising their Hearts credentials ;)

It would probably take a year or so for people to get used to it, but with school-based recruitment campaigns (like the strips for 7 yr olds) it would be amazing what could be done.

In Aus they started a brand new league and a few of the old school bigot teams got the elbow. Melbourne Victory (a brand new team with no history at all) were getting 40,000 at home games because they were doing well in the league.

Plenty of people have said that they are getting to the point where football now means very little to them because of the bias. Surely a league without the bias would have to be better.

david mcgee

In the long term, why would TV revenue be less?

Would it not be a far more attractive proposition if the league was truely competitive?

Would companies not be inclined to sponsor more without fear of being tarnished with supporting bigotry?

Would supporters of other clubs not increase when women, children, extended families could safely watch without fear of being smothered by the usual beer bellied bigots who shame our Country in every holiday hotspot around the World.

The real fans would flourish because it would be a level playing field, no more bias, no more bucky, no more bigotry, no more Strachan, no more Watty.

Bring it on.

The SPL would die without Celtic and Rangers if they moved south.

Without doubt it would.

funktasticlad
I would welcome cutting them loose. I think that Scottish football fans would seriously welcome the change, as would Scottish business, who would see the opportunity to support a club through sponsorship who actually had a chance of playing for the title in a fair league.

Families would consider going to football which could be priced well for family groups.

TV money from Setanta would go, but surely the BBC or ITV would want to cover a new Scottish league.

Would be great to have Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Motherwell all playing for the league title. Imagine what a season would be like if 3 teams had a shot at the title with 4 games remaining? I think you'd forget all about the weedgebags then for sure.

A lot of teams that suffer under the OF gloryseeking would see supporters return (OF supporters who should always have supported St Midden would go watch St Midden and support their beloved OF team too).

Downsides:

Less money from TV

No prospect of beating Rangers or Celtic to the title (like that would be allowed to happen today anyway!!)

A big dent in the co-efficient (be real - how often does that affect us? It gives us an extra place in Europe, but there would be 2 extra places anyhow)

Upsides:

A fair league

A chance for all our Chelsea supporting members to also cheer on Rangers without compromising their Hearts credentials ;)

It would probably take a year or so for people to get used to it, but with school-based recruitment campaigns (like the strips for 7 yr olds) it would be amazing what could be done.

In Aus they started a brand new league and a few of the old school bigot teams got the elbow. Melbourne Victory (a brand new team with no history at all) were getting 40,000 at home games because they were doing well in the league.

Plenty of people have said that they are getting to the point where football now means very little to them because of the bias. Surely a league without the bias would have to be better.

In same order as bold points on your post

League format stinks as does OF cheating but thats SFA's and weak refs fault more than rangers and celtic

Granted would be more competitive but still only get three teams four at a push challenging for a mickey mouse league untill someone eventually dominates prob us or aberdeen due to fan base

Young scots are flourishing at present Hutton ?9m Gordon ?9m Brown ?4m loads in the 1st division attracting interest from EPL EC clubs

So because rangers and celtic leave that means there will be no swearing or shouting abuse at games hence making it more of a fun family day out like in American sports.... never gonna happen

And how cheering on rivals of over a hundred years can be justified in any way by a hearts supporter is sickening. Sure admire them but cheer? I'm pleased rangers did scottish football proud in Europe by reaching the UEFA cap final as i was for the tic but couldnt give a toss if they got pumped

david mcgee
In same order as bold points on your post

League format stinks as does OF cheating but thats SFA's and weak refs fault more than rangers and celtic

Granted would be more competitive but still only get three teams four at a push challenging for a mickey mouse league untill someone eventually dominates prob us or aberdeen due to fan base

Young scots are flourishing at present Hutton ?9m Gordon ?9m Brown ?4m loads in the 1st division attracting interest from EPL EC clubs

So because rangers and celtic leave that means there will be no swearing or shouting abuse at games hence making it more of a fun family day out like in American sports.... never gonna happen

And how cheering on rivals of over a hundred years can be justified in any way by a hearts supporter is sickening. Sure admire them but cheer? I'm pleased rangers did scottish football proud in Europe by reaching the UEFA cap final as i was for the tic but couldnt give a toss if they got pumped

Your arguement is blown out of the water straight away.

If the old firm werent in the league this season, who would win it?

Motherwell by chance?

Could Dundee utd win it?

Yes!

Could Aberdeen win it?

Yes!

Could Hibs win it?

Unfortunately yes!

Could teams like St Johnstone, Kilmarnock, St Mirren, Falkirk win it in the future.

Not inconcievable!

What chance any team outwith the old firm winning the league in the next fifty years under the current set up?

None whatsoever!

JamboRossi79

Well accoring to the figures it was 30,293 on Saturday yes I typed that right thirty thousand, two hundred and ninety three for a team that could win the UEFA cup (god forbid), Scottish cup (god forbid) and the SPL (god forbid).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/7390628.stm

funktasticlad
Your arguement is blown out of the water straight away.

If the old firm werent in the league this season, who would win it?

Motherwell by chance?

Could Dundee utd win it?

Yes!

Could Aberdeen win it?

Yes!

Could Hibs win it?

Unfortunately yes!

Could teams like St Johnstone, Kilmarnock, St Mirren, Falkirk win it in the future.

Not inconcievable!

What chance any team outwith the old firm winning the league in the next fifty years under the current set up?

None whatsoever!

Yeah like i said 3 or 4 teams would be in with a shout but after a few seasons it be contested by 2 or 3 every season

I'd also like to think we or someone else can win this league one day within a 50 year time period! So how is my arguement blown out the water? You honestly think if rangers and celtic fecked off it be a 5 or 6 team mixer for the title every season? If it was it would be brilliant, would not happen though, rangers and celtics berth would just be taken by whichever clubs chairman wanted to spend to win a depleted SPL title

Also is it only the Rangers and Celtic support that contain racists, biggots, neds, louts? I think not

david mcgee
Yeah like i said 3 or 4 teams would be in with a shout but after a few seasons it be contested by 2 or 3 every season

I'd also like to think we or someone else can win this league one day within a 50 year time period! So how is my arguement blown out the water? You honestly think if rangers and celtic fecked off it be a 5 or 6 team mixer for the title every season? If it was it would be brilliant, would not happen though, rangers and celtics berth would just be taken by whichever clubs chairman wanted to spend to win a depleted SPL title

Dont you realise that the bigot brothers have things sown up.

Nobody in the next fifty years will break their monopoly.

None of the bigots go to Church anymore, but they think attending Parkhead or Ibrox spouting their bile makes them worthy.

Their respective clubs pretend to be against bigotry but understand without it they are nothing.

Scottish football supports this notion, we are a backwater, a blast from the past, a corrupt nation, but not alone within EUFA and FIFA.

We can either accept it, and say we cannot exist without them or we can group together and tell them enough is enough.

The Romanov regime at Hearts is exactly the same, it feeds on the fact that everyone is too afraid to face up to life without them.

Stuff the consequencies neither scenario is acceptable.

Speak your minds for once.

Seymour M Hersh
IMO, pure garbage.

Is that why the hobos had their biggest crowds when in Div 1 going for promotion? You have no idea what you are talking about so I'd suggest the pure garbage is coming from you.:clubbed:

Seymour M Hersh
We would find our level.

Right next to the Welsh and Irish leagues!

The standard of player would drop considerably. What would be the attraction in coming to Scotland?

Short term thinking! Yes you would struggle to get overpaid lazy foreigners but teams would have to start relying almost 100% on youth systems. We would be well above both those leagues and you know it. A really competitive league would increase interest, therefore crowds and successful teams would in turn generate more interest. Scotland without the bigot brothers would, imho, be a beautiful place.

Don't know how big a difference it would make to the TV revenue as IIRC currently the non old firm teams only receive 3% each with Rangers and Celtic taking 35% each!

So for every ?1m that we currently receive we could take ?300k and still be as well off!

Also doubt that they would bother to take any half decent player in Scotland if it didn't help them by weakening the opposition ala Ratboy, Gow and many more.

Mr Quagmire

Downsides:

Less money from TV

Upsides:

A fair league

Very good post

:jambobanana:

super_vlad
Don't know how big a difference it would make to the TV revenue as IIRC currently the non old firm teams only receive 3% each with Rangers and Celtic taking 35% each!

So for every ?1m that we currently receive we could take ?300k and still be as well off!

Also doubt that they would bother to take any half decent player in Scotland if it didn't help them by weakening the opposition ala Ratboy, Gow and many more.

Also we all did make it thru without any decent tv money when the SPL TV thing went belly up !

The EPL will not ever let them in ! THis is not IMO but fact ! Can you imagine the rest of the english teams being up in arms ! They would have to start in the the conference (if they were lucky) and work themselves up ! how many would they get playing a conference side on a thursday night ! How much would the OF lose in Tv money themselves ! and European money for the best part of 5 years atleast ! as i have said before the OF will never leave because they need scotland more than we need them !

John Findlay

I want Hearts to win the league again with them two still in it. After that they can go where ever they like, preferably rockall in the North Atlantic and they can play each other 3 times a day until their hearts are content.

John

Mix Master Mikez

I am all for it. The SPL is needing sorted out in someway sooner rather than later.

You can do this in two ways...

Keep the Ugly Sisters......and have a bigger 16 team minimum league, playing each other twice a season - one home and one away. More travelling supports and larger home gates. Also get rid of the split.

Get rid of the Ugly sisters...The English League doesn't need them at all. If they were to leave they would have to work their way up the English system.

Can you imagine teams like Leeds reaction if they went straight into the EPL. Just couldn't happen.

If they ever did move I think the attendences would go up. As another poster mentioned - succcess breeds fans. Just look at Hearts and Hibs matches when success is close.

We might lost money in the short term as a league but over the years we would make it up and surely it would allow us to try get into the Champions League, Uefa Cup more easy ?

Could it ever happen without the old firm ? Tell them they can head down south for the championship ! not the EPL.

Why not let another 4 teams up from the First Division ?

I personally think it would be good for Scottish Football, in the future anyway.

Or maybe it would not work, i don't know.

discuss.

It would be heaven

although no other country in their right mind would take them and their baggage

That is why they should be in debted to 'our' country

We are the only reason they get into Europe every week also who else would put up with their nonsense

I am afraid we are stuck with them

I've given up tho

colinmaroon

IMO, NOT pure garbage!!!

If the SFA, SPL, referees and media weren't so biased then the resultant level playing field would mean much more success for the non-OF teams and we would then be better supported, leading to a closing of the gap. It could actually be an excellent league set-up here in Scotland, even with the OF, especially if we could get amalgamations between some of the smaller clubs (but let's not go down that road here... :)). I like sticking it up the OF and want to carry on playing them so that remains a possibility, but we need that level playing field to make it possible on a more regular basis rather than just once in a while.

If the SFA, SPL, referees and media weren't so biased then the resultant level playing field would mean much more success for the non-OF teams and we would then be better supported, leading to a closing of the gap. It could actually be an excellent league set-up here in Scotland, even with the OF, especially if we could get amalgamations between some of the smaller clubs (but let's not go down that road here... :)). I like sticking it up the OF and want to carry on playing them so that remains a possibility, but we need that level playing field to make it possible on a more regular basis rather than just once in a while.

Aye agreed, doing either one of the OF is of course a great start to the weekend. However they are both pretty gash just now and I would honestly expect them to improve in the very near future. Remember, we simply couldn't live with Rangers back in the days of Mols, Reina, Arvladze and the like, with games being damage limitation almost from the start. Celtic's bean counters saw SPL titles coming along regardless of their lack of investment ( in the post O'Squeal period ) but they will surely have to up the anti again and buy some real quality. The CL and Uefa cash will allow Rangers to push ahead once again and the plundering of other SPL teams will widen the gap between us to it's greatest ever :sad:

We might make a dent in it if Vlad was to return to the policy of 05/06 ....but at the moment that's looking unlikely, so I reckon we are ALL in for many more years of the same...............unless we make a move for change !!

Archived