JFK Airport?

japanjambo

japanjambo

I'm heading to New Jersey in July for a week. Land at JFK airport. How long does it normally take to get through passport check, customs etc?

Cheers

Lynn

cosanostra

Depends if you get selected for additional security or not.

American airports can take ages. I'd give yourself an hour at least.

japanjambo
Depends if you get selected for additional security or not.

American airports can take ages. I'd give yourself an hour at least.

Ari gato!

I hope it's nothing like that airport in Houston! Nightmare! Made my connecting flight by the skin of ma teeth!

Lynn:ninja:

cosanostra
Ari gato!

I hope it's nothing like that airport in Houston! Nightmare! Made my connecting flight by the skin of ma teeth!

I always get picked for additional security.

Missed a connecting flight to Portland once which meant a 4hr wait, i was raging.

My best mate and I are going to Japan next summer. We are staying in Tokyo for a week or so and then travelling up into the mountains and around the Island. What area of Tokyo would suggest staying in? I've heard that Shinjuku or Shibuya are best for partying. Where would you suggest?

japanjambo

Missed a connecting flight to Portland once which meant a 4hr wait, i was raging.

My best mate and I are going to Japan next summer. We are staying in Tokyo for a week or so and then travelling up into the mountains and around the Island. What area of Tokyo would suggest staying in? I've heard that Shinjuku or Shibuya are best for partying. Where would you suggest?

I've never partied in Tokyo! LOL! Well, that's not strictly true. I have partied many times at some Aussie friends' house in Meguro...he he. I hear Roppongi is pretty good, as well as Shibuya. When you visit Tokyo, you will never have seen so many people in one place at the same time. Every time I pass through Shinjuku train station, I feel like someone has just whacked a clapperboard and shouted " Action!".

You will LOVE Japan Cosa!

cosanostra
I've never partied in Tokyo! LOL! Well, that's not strictly true. I have partied many times at some Aussie friends' house in Meguro...he he. I hear Roppongi is pretty good, as well as Shibuya. When you visit Tokyo, you will never have seen so many people in one place at the same time. Every time I pass through Shinjuku train station, I feel like someone has just whacked a clapperboard and shouted " Action!".

You will LOVE Japan Cosa!

Thanks Lynn,

been planning it for so long and now i finally have the means to go. Made redundant from a crappy call centre part time job and i have some cash now. We plan to go on the shinkansen, visit Kyoto and generally move about a bit after a week in Tokyo. Where else should we check out?

super_vlad
I'm heading to New Jersey in July for a week. Land at JFK airport. How long does it normally take to get through passport check, customs etc?

Cheers

Lynn

it took me 4 and half hours ! !!!!!

Totally out of order, even after the passport check was done i was treated like ****e and told to stand in a corner of the airport where the luggue machine was not even switch on. I stood there for 1 hour and no-one even came over to say what was going on or even check my bags ! I was lucky that the offier who had checked my passport was going on his break and he spotted me stand like a idiot there with another guy, who said this happenes all the time at the airport.

Oh, the reason i suspect i was stopped was because i had the cheek to visit places like pakistan and india ! complete joke the questions they ask you. One once i thought was quite funny was what colour were the goats up there and the next one was when i told them i had traveled to Kashmier, they asked me if anyone there had asked me to carry explosions or guns for them, which being a smart ass i replied yes but i had handed them into cash generotors ! went straight over the guys head and possibly explained why it took so long, but that was after i had already being there for 2 hours at that point and was ****ed off !

boabyarsebiscuit

Immigration at JFK is hit or miss, and the time taken depends mostly on whether a lot of other flights have landed at the same time as yours (also current security levels). You also now get photographed and fingerprinted.

I've had 90 minutes at JFK before, and like yourself have also had problems at IAH, mainly due to a plane from Japan landing just before mine and immigration taking ages to deal with the people from that flight.

By the way, NEVER joke around about bombs and stuff with the immigration / homeland security guys and gals, unless you really do want to spend an extra couple of hours at the airport.

I travel to Portland quite frequently and try, whenever I can, to take the direct Frankfurt to Portland with Lufthansa.

japanjambo
Thanks Lynn,

been planning it for so long and now i finally have the means to go. Made redundant from a crappy call centre part time job and i have some cash now. We plan to go on the shinkansen, visit Kyoto and generally move about a bit after a week in Tokyo. Where else should we check out?

Nikko is supposed to be pretty impressive. Kamakura is great. Here's a site that might help you out:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e623a.html

Cheers

Cheers

Lynn

Could be 20 mins, but I'd prepare for the worst of about 2 hours.

Getting from JFK to NJ isn't the easiest, where are you staying in NJ?

John Findlay

Should have flown to La Guardia or Newark ;)

John

I always seem to find the passport check much worse at JFK compared to Newark (might have just been unlucky) but the connection to the MTA and LIRR on the Air Train is good and I guess you will get a connection onto the NJT at Penn.

It might also have a bearing which Terminal you're using. Although Terminal 3 (Delta Airlines) can be absolutely heaving at times, it's well organised and they get you through relatively quickly. But I've also used Terminal 7 (British Airways) and it always seems to be more problematic. Just my own experiences mind - others may have a different tale to tell. ;)

japanjambo
Should have flown to La Guardia or Newark ;)

John

I was going to fly to Newark, John. The flight landed at 4:30pm. The one at JFK lands at 10:45am. Hotel check-in isn't until 3pm. So I figured it would give me a bit more time over there.

davemclaren

As others have said, never joke with the US Immigration guys. They have their sense of humour trained out of them. :cool:

japanjambo
It might also have a bearing which Terminal you're using. Although Terminal 3 (Delta Airlines) can be absolutely heaving at times, it's well organised and they get you through relatively quickly. But I've also used Terminal 7 (British Airways) and it always seems to be more problematic. Just my own experiences mind - others may have a different tale to tell. ;)

Land at Terminal 7! Yikes!

japanjambo
As others have said, never joke with the US Immigration guys. They have their sense of humour trained out of them. :cool:

One shall be on one's best behaviour, Dave. Okay, I may mumble something like... " Have you heard of Drew Busby?..." he he he

davemclaren
One shall be on one's best behaviour, Dave. Okay, I may mumble something like... " Have you heard of Drew Busby?..." he he he

Are there no Japanese Airports that have US immigration based there? They have them in Shannon and Dublin and that can help save time IIRC.

japanjambo
Are there no Japanese Airports that have US immigration based there? They have them in Shannon and Dublin and that can help save time IIRC.

I very much doubt it, Dave.

japanjambo
You'll be totally cool. Driving, it's not that bad at that time of day, and Weehawken is right across the river from NYC.

Have fun in the Garden State :)

I'm quite looking forward to the jaunt from the airport(as long as we dinny get stuck in traffic for hours!) to the hotel.

I'll definately have fun, Rab :mj_zivili:

Tom Heaney
it took me 4 and half hours ! !!!!!

Totally out of order, even after the passport check was done i was treated like ****e and told to stand in a corner of the airport where the luggue machine was not even switch on. I stood there for 1 hour and no-one even came over to say what was going on or even check my bags ! I was lucky that the offier who had checked my passport was going on his break and he spotted me stand like a idiot there with another guy, who said this happenes all the time at the airport.

Oh, the reason i suspect i was stopped was because i had the cheek to visit places like pakistan and india ! complete joke the questions they ask you. One once i thought was quite funny was what colour were the goats up there and the next one was when i told them i had traveled to Kashmier, they asked me if anyone there had asked me to carry explosions or guns for them, which being a smart ass i replied yes but i had handed them into cash generotors ! went straight over the guys head and possibly explained why it took so long, but that was after i had already being there for 2 hours at that point and was ****ed off !

Having travelled in and out of the USA numerous times obviously I think that after reading your post you brought a lot of that on yourself. In fact you are probably fairly lucky that you even got in. These guys dont tolerate smart asses too well.

Have only been to NY once and that was into JFK - about 4 years ago.

The queues were big but they opened up a lot more booths really quickly and I seem to recall getting through quicker than I'd expected. Best of luck.

As for the immigration guys ; the guy who grilled us was actually quite funny.

The final passport for inspection of our 4 was for junior. the Immigration guy said , I got one passport left and it betta be yours !'.

He then asked junior (who was 13 at the time) : Do you have a girlfriend ?! Do you have a car ?! Do you have a job ?! Then why have you come to the United States !!! Pretty funny at the time - apart from junior who was literally cr@pping himself.

Homer_Salvatori

just back from new york last week. arrived at jfk at 7pm. was through security in 10 minutes. Guess it depends how many flights arrive at same time.

Craig Gordons Gloves

Its not so much the getting through immigration that is the problem, like others have said - it can be quick or take ages. The longest i had was an hour, i've flown in and out of JFK loads of times.

The biggest problem isnt the actual immigration - it is the air traffic around JFK - we sat for 30 minutes before being allowed into the gate, and if you're flying out - it is usually at least half an hour from when you leave the gate before you actually take off! The worst i had was 3 hours before we could take off - purely down to volume, the weather was fine.

I was reading that the average flight time has increased by 34 minutes - due to the messing around before take off and after landing.

Ryan Gosling

Flying Delta to JFK on Saturday - flight lands at 2.45pm, we have a tour booked in Manhattan for 8. You reckon we'll make it? Also we'll only have carry-on luggage, so no waiting at the baggage carousel or anything if that's relevant.

Cheers

Lynn

May take you quite a while Lynne. If customs ask 'anything to declare'? I wonder if you'll spend the next few hours proclaiming your undying love for Drew Busby! ;)

japanjambo
May take you quite a while Lynne. If customs ask 'anything to declare'? I wonder if you'll spend the next few hours proclaiming your undying love for Drew Busby! ;)

Who? me? ;)

japanjambo
Flying Delta to JFK on Saturday - flight lands at 2.45pm, we have a tour booked in Manhattan for 8. You reckon we'll make it? Also we'll only have carry-on luggage, so no waiting at the baggage carousel or anything if that's relevant.

That sounds like plenty of time to me!

Ryan Gosling
That sounds like plenty of time to me!

Fingers crossed - it'll take an hour to get to Manhattan via the subway too. At least the tour isn't far from 42nd where we're getting off the train.

I hate JFK airport, from landing on the runway to getting into my yellow cab was nearly 3 hours. You wait for ages to get your passport and finger prints to get done but you think "not to worry my bags will be out by now going round the carousel". Wrong. The bags don't start dropping on to the carousel until everyone is through. The taxi cab queue is very efficient though, an attendant waves the cabs into line and tells the driver where you are going and determines the fare for you.

boabyarsebiscuit

If your flight is on time you'll do it no bother.

Thanks Lynn,

Just hanging around in Tokyo is great. One of my favourite areas is Harajuku where all the wacky cool kids hang out and shop in the afternoons. My mate is seriously into trainers and reckons it is the best place in the world for them. Just down the road Shibuya is good fun too - that is where all the huge groups of girls hang out. They even have an equivalent of Greyfriar's Bobby there called Hachiko. If you want to buy any electronic stuff Akihabara is the area for that.

Roppongi is kind of the Western expat (and US Marine's hangout). Irish bars, clubs etc. Shinjuku is one of the real Japanese all night places. One piece of advice - it is fine to stumble around during the day in Tokyo (and indeed I've never felt at all worried going about at night - it is very safe), but in some of the bars/clubs etc you really can get taken for a lot of money. It is a place where knowing where you want to go is a good idea (maps are required as there are no proper street names). I would try to get as many recommendations as you can before you go.

If you can get up early one day (or stay out late) - try a trip to Tsukiji fish market. A real eye opener - and the food at the stalls is great if you like sushi/seafood.

One specific recommendation is a place called Andy's Izakaya (Shin Hinomoto is its Japanese name). It is a very friendly pub in Yurakucho (very near to Ginza) which serves cheap but absolutely brilliant food. It is run by an English guy and his wife. I go every time I'm out there.

Wouldn't bother with Nagoya (and Osaka only if you've watched Black Rain a few times). Kyoto is a real mix of ugly normal Japanese cities and beautiful temples and Zen Gardens. The Golden Temple is my favourite.

Place I have not been to yet but plan on going to is a place called Koya-san. Near Osaka. You can stay with the monks in their mountain temples. Otherwise you can climb Mount Fuji if you are going at any time other than winter.

If you go further west the Peace Park and Museum in Hiroshima are very sobering places.

In general, the food is brilliant and so varied, the people are usually very friendly and it is a great place.

Archived