Foulkes' leap of faith..

Dr. Bapswent

Dr. Bapswent

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Time-for---further.4072896.jp

By GEORGE FOULKES

IF there is one thing we don't need then it's a Referendum on our future.

More than ever, this is a time for us to unite. To pull together, to look back at those things that make us stronger, then plan ahead.

Together we can achieve our dreams, build on foundations stretching back hundreds of years. But divisions threaten all we hold dear.

We already know what the next step is for us, people have had their say – by voting with their feet.

So let's simply write-off the past season and look at what comes next for Hearts.

Well, what did you think I was talking about?

Admittedly our last home game was another bruising disappointment. When the thunder and lightning started – the most exciting part of the afternoon – one fan quipped: "See – even God's a Jambo and he's sick of you too!"

It summed up the campaign, as did the season books littering the trackside at full time.

At least the players had the good grace not to take an end of season bow as the boos rang out. Yet I thought flashes of the first half showed some potential, Fernando Screpis looking like a real find. And despite our capitulation in the second 45, maybe with the right leader in charge, the players can prove themselves.

Which is why I collected new season books for me and my son from the helpful ticket centre staff on Saturday. Because there is some great talent at Hearts that just needs drawing out.

Take for instance the re-signing of Mauricio Pinilla.

He is one player – in the few games he played – who really gets fans excited when on the ball.

Depression is a serious complaint. But if he has overcome those demons then it would be good to see him back.

Imagine him paired with Gary Glen up front, wreaking havoc on the Old Firm and Hibs. It could be sensational.

Ruben Palazuelos comes in the same category, a real class act helping Eggert Jonsson flourish.

Deividas Cesnauskis, sitting most the season on the bench, then scoring a screamer at Falkirk. Or Saulius Mikoliunas, one of our most consistent players.

Both have the capacity to turn games with their trickery and verve. At the back we have Christophe Berra – surely now to make his full Scotland debut.

And great young talent in Marius Zaliukas, Lee Wallace, Jason Thomson and Matej Rapnik.

The youth policy at Hearts has been one constant source of good news. After all, Hearts were the first club in the Capital and most of the country to boast a dedicated Academy.

Maybe we are about to reap the benefit.

Off the field great things too, like the Education and Community Trust with its breakfast clubs, learning centre and Magnificent Seven initiative.

Much of this can be put down to the willingness of those like Campbell Ogilvie to embrace the support.

I've said before, Hearts really are like an extended family, with youth walking side by side with legends.

How often do you see Gary and Dave Mackay, John Cummings, Dave McPherson, Freddie Glidden and Co at events? Or bump into old friends or players in places like Diggers, the Tynie Arms or Dickens.

The fact so many players from our cup triumphs showed for Robbie Neilson's testimonial serves to re-enforce those ties. Rudi Skacel, Stephane Adam who got a tremendous reception on Saturday, Thomas Flogel and Gilles Rousset among them.

I even bumped into Stefano Salvatore lunching at Bar Roma.

There's nothing quite like it, watching your heroes, as all around people are wrapped in maroon.

A colour that, no matter where you see it, evokes emotions of pride and passion.

From where I sit in the Wheatfield Stand, I have an uninterrupted view of the game, and thought the fans showed great patience.

It is always good to see Jim Jefferies return because he evokes memories of that great cup win.

The result on Saturday wasn't really important. But a 2-0 reverse was disappointing being a last chance at redemption for the team.

Who knows which of them will return next season, or which fans for that matter.

But as people ponder what to do, it is worth taking stock of all that is great at this club.

Hearts could – and should – do more by acting decisively and giving supporters a reason to trust in them.

As for the fans?

It really is a cross-roads for many.

But I suggest one more leap of faith, one more season book, one last chance. Because once you've turned your back on family, it is always so much harder to ever go back.

Levein deserves support for speaking out

I'D like to salute Dundee United manager Craig Levein for showing a bravery all too often lacking in Scottish football.

By questioning referees' ability to handle games involving the Old Firm, he is certain to be hammered by the SFA.

Every team outside of Glasgow knows what he said to be true. And it is not good enough to say poor decisions even themselves out over a season.

I think Craig is right and he deserves support. Referees do bottle it – with shameful reason – in such intimidating atmospheres.

What would have happened to McCurry, his home or his car, if he had affected Rangers' chances of the SPL flag? Referees are human and consciously or otherwise, the pressure will affect decision making. It's the integrity of the game that ultimately suffers.

So we must look to use technology – or even refs from outside Scotland – for key Old Firm clashes.

Drew Busby !

Since the fat whiskey guzzling expense freeloading buffoon "lightheartedly" mentioned politics at the start of his footy column, allow me to "lightheartedly" point him to the referendum poll in The Shed, with some 250 responses so far.

How would you vote in an Independence referendum?

Yes to independence 54.6%

No to independence 35.1%

Unsure either way 10.3%

Time for another stiff drink your lordship ?

Dr. Bapswent
It is interesting that he supports Levein's rant on referees and the Old Firm, but not Vlad's - why?

Because Vlads a mentalist...didnt you know that?

BanBWfork.gif

John Findlay

I know this may be to simple for the majority.

If a referee is not prepared to referee a game at Celtic Park of Ibrox fairly as they are only human. Then may I humbly suggest they give up refereeing all together.

Stop making excuses for them. Some of them are cheats pure and simple.

John

Craigieboy

I like some of the sentiment.

However, unlike ever before I really don't think the Hearts fans will be going into the 1st game next season with the same optimism that is normally felt at the start of a new campaign. Big changes would have to be seen for that to happen.

Rhyming off all the if's & but's & players names is nice but the reality of what we have at the moment is as dire next season as it is just now IMO.

Over to you Vlad.......

Since the fat whiskey guzzling expense freeloading buffoon "lightheartedly" mentioned politics at the start of his footy column, allow me to "lightheartedly" point him to the referendum poll in The Shed, with some 250 responses so far.

How would you vote in an Independence referendum?

Yes to independence 54.6%

No to independence 35.1%

Unsure either way 10.3%

Time for another stiff drink your lordship ?

Perhaps this scientific poll from the kickback nationalist front will convince Alex "two joabs" Salmond to not bottle out of a referendum eh? light-heartedly of course :rolleyes:

Fat, whisky drinking free loader...............hmmmmmmmmmmmmm who could that be??;)

As do I Stairboy, I know its a dangerous thing these days at Hearts, and certainly a rare thing but I feel quite optimistic about next season, maybe through sheer depseration rather than true clarity.

There is so much potential at Hearts, i feel, and if this potential is realised we could still create something special under the current regime.

Like Foulkes says, a reformed Pinilla alongside the hungry young Glen up front. The flashes of brilliance from Chesny and Miko, Eggert and Ruben pulling the strings in the midfield, Larry making things happen. I really want to get a season ticket next season when I think of such things.

Of course there are long since departed ingredients much needed, I dont need to go into what these are but there is also another ingredient too, that being the fans. And with this in mind, part of me doesnt want to be hypocryticial by demanding what is required from players, coaches and owners, whilst forgetting what is required from me as a fan - that being my support.

Its a tough one. But maybe one last effort next season from everyone and who knows. However, if it doesnt work next season, there really is nothing that can be done.

rudi must stay

If a referee is not prepared to referee a game at Celtic Park of Ibrox fairly as they are only human. Then may I humbly suggest they give up refereeing all together.

John

well said. Guys like that baldy Italian ref (cant remember his name) couldn't care less about what the fans thought of him. Graham Poll was the same, sure he made mistake but the crowd had no effect. These Scottish refs though are just bottling it

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
It is interesting that he supports Levein's rant on referees and the Old Firm, but not Vlad's - why?

Was George Foulkes not actually sitting at the table when Hearts officially complained about Andy Davis???

"Or Saulius Mikoliunas, one of our most consistent players."

Belter!!! :rofl:

I have to say he has improved greatly this season and has been one of our best performers. Pity the refs allow the opposition to boot feck out of him without fear of recrimination.

You can roll about the floor laughing as u please but Miko has shown signs that he is finally getting his attitude together since "Mikogate".

Okay...so nobody else came over all emotional then? :blush:

I thought that was pretty strong stuff. It has been a horrific season but all the things he listed plus the effects of yesterday...they remind me that it really isn't ALL bad. No matter how miserable it makes us.

One more leap of faith seems like a good plan to me. Cheers George. :)

jambojim52

John

A similar subject has been brought up recently, with teams outwith the OF getting the newer perhaps less experienced refs. Why should the OF get preferential treatment?

If a ref has passsed his badges then he is qualified to ref all games. Like you say John, if they are not up to the job pack it in.Refs from other countries are what is needed across the board. Send ours south and get theirs up here.

PontiusPilate

So our best hope for next season, according to George, is a forward line that boasts less then 10 starts between them in the last 4 seasons!

Shut up you fat toady freeloading police assaulting slob.

So after all his pesh over the last few months, attacking Vlad every week in his column, he's now asking us to renew and keep the faith for "One More Year"?????????

Stand by your convictions, Lord Foulkes!

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

While I agree with the majority of what Foulkes has said lately, I'm not interested in his opinions on football.

maybe we all just need to give vlad one last season if it goes pear shaped again next season i will not be back at all he can gtf and i won't be back until someone else has come in.

i don't care that he has set aside building our new stand making 2.6m for the economy*

like we care he's a tax dodge. an immigrant and he only comes to games for a wee holiday.

GTF VLAD U'VE HAD YOUR CHANCE!

Archived