Trapped (pinched) Nerve

Rudolf's Mate

Rudolf's Mate

Went to the in-laws for Christmas and after the first night I had a really stiff neck. After the 2nd I was in considerable discomfort and it felt like I'd pulled something at the base of my neck.

It's generally got worse and two days ago after a decent nights sleep I struggled to get out of bed. If I lay flat on the bed I was fine but the moment I moved I was in agony. The pain was around my right shoulder blade/base of my neck however I also had shooting pains down my right arm.

Yesterday it had moved from my shoulder/neck to solely my arm. The pain was excruciating however only when I was sat up.

I went to the docs yesterday whom confirmed he thought it was trapped nerve and gave me pain killers.

Today it's a little more bearable but is back to the shoulder/neck area. I'm being dispatched to the spare room tonight as the Mrs has had hardly any sleep!

I like to think that I have a high pain threshold but I was in despair yesterday.

Anyone had anything similar and can give any advice etc?

Rudolf's Mate
Son had a pinched nerve in his upper arm a few months back. Painkillers and time made it better.

How long did his take to clear? I know everyone will be different but it'll give me hope if you say days rather than weeks or worse?!

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

Rudolf's Mate
Tremadol and diclofenac. Keep moving...

I'm guessing I'd need to be prescribed those?

I was given codeine phosphate which the label stated take 1-2 every 4 hours. The pamphlet inside said 2-4 for an adult which I took but it didn't even touch the pain!

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

Had that years ago, the Myelin coating the nerves has swollen, till that goes down you suffer. Days/weeks, not months, doc will give you stuff, but I went through a fair few jars of Tiger Balm on the excruciating pain on my right arm. There ain't no easy fix, as far as I am aware, or believe me I would have used it, the pain is horrendous. Sympathies buddy.

It was my left arm !! married at the time didn't need the right so much ???

Feel your pain, I had it just basically come on from nowhere, went to the docs and physio, both said it was a pinched nerve in my neck, but my neck wasn't even that sore it was down the right hand side of my back and shoulder and my whole arm was going numb a few times a day, was a nightmare as I had zero strength in my right arm, like you lying down flat was ok but for my driving was the worst, it's only really just gone away completely a month ago and suffered from it for over a year, sad thing is I was told It'd probably be a recurring problem for me for the rest of my days! I'm only 36 and physically fit with no history of anything like that before,.... Not sure how it works for everyone, but for me it's a bad posture thing so helped a lot for me to keep my neck and back straight to do stretching for my neck and back,

Rudolf's Mate

A lot of things you guys are saying sounds very familiar.

The neck pain is almost non-existent however the pain in my right arm comes and goes but its killing me.

I've got some kind gel to run on which is pretty good. I've held off the prescribed pain killers till I go to bed as I'd rather I managed to get my head down above anything else.

I think my posture also has a lot to answer for. Last 6 months I've also put weight on and not been to the gym. As soon as this has gone I'll be sorting myself out!

ArmiyaRomanova

Sounds very similar to something I've had for a few weeks now.

Could well be the result of a trapped nerve - but neck and arm pain suggests that your rotator cuff might be the problem, with the neck and arm muscles working overtime to compensate. Or so says my physiotherapist. A few simple exercises are helping to take lessen the neck and arm pain, as is a heat pack on the arm. Not sure how long it'll take to sort completely, but I'm optimistic.

Rudolf's Mate

Sounds very similar to something I've had for a few weeks now.

Could well be the result of a trapped nerve - but neck and arm pain suggests that your rotator cuff might be the problem, with the neck and arm muscles working overtime to compensate. Or so says my physiotherapist. A few simple exercises are helping to take lessen the neck and arm pain, as is a heat pack on the arm. Not sure how long it'll take to sort completely, but I'm optimistic.

Could be right mate as the issues with the arm came afterwards.

My friend is a nurse and told me to take paracetamol with the codeine as dependant on the individual, it cam make the codeine up to 16x more effective.

I'd been careful of overlapping the codeine with anything else however took it with paracetamol this morning. I'm a bit miffed that the doctor didn't tell me this as it's made a huge difference.

Jambof3tornado

Could be right mate as the issues with the arm came afterwards.

My friend is a nurse and told me to take paracetamol with the codeine as dependant on the individual, it cam make the codeine up to 16x more effective.

I'd been careful of overlapping the codeine with anything else however took it with paracetamol this morning. I'm a bit miffed that the doctor didn't tell me this as it's made a huge difference.

As lightweight as paracetamol may seem they dont half make a difference when taken with brufens etc!

Son was about a fortnight before his arm felt better. Posture was a key issue too for him.

Rudolf's Mate

As lightweight as paracetamol may seem they dont half make a difference when taken with brufens etc!

Son was about a fortnight before his arm felt better. Posture was a key issue too for him.

I think you've hit the nail on the head (posture). I've recently been going to bed with my tablet and also staying up later than usual. Rather than go to sleep when tired I've slouched down with my head forward which I reckon has been the main factor.

Jambof3tornado

I think you've hit the nail on the head (posture). I've recently been going to bed with my tablet and also staying up later than usual. Rather than go to sleep when tired I've slouched down with my head forward which I reckon has been the main factor.

Sons problem is how he sits on his bed while playing his xbox.(and the length of time in one position).

Posture is a wonderful thing. Mate had a bad back and it was all down to his posture while driving. Seat angle changed after chatting to a physio, within days, bad back gone.

• 2 weeks later...

Had that a few times, my sympathy is with you bud. It's feckin agony

:sob:

And just like magic I'm suffering with it again. Barely any sleep last night and looks like I'll not be getting much tonight either.

Pretty much exactly the same as the OP had but the pain goes down my left arm.

In absolute ****** agony

:sob:

Archived