Whale BBC1

Tazio

I read the book this is based on a few years ago. Factual tale of the only whaler ever attacked and sunk by a whale.

Pretty hardcore story of survival that makes Alive seem like a picnic in the hills. Interesting to see if they water it down.

ToadKiller Dog

Got whaling in my blood on my mothers fathers side 2 or 3 generations back from my grandad , he was a boson on whaling ships , must have been a hard life , he ended his years in the workhouse when he got to old for whaling .

Have a picture of him from the turn of the century with his wife a Pretty woman in happier times .

There a lot of families in Leith, Newhaven and Granton that made their living on the whalers. Christian Salvesen were a big company in it. And South Georgia has a Leith Harbour where the ships used to moor up.

CS brought back the penguins for Edinburgh Zoo

And much more than that, building houses for ex service people in Trinity and Muirhouse.

Myself and my son watched it. Quite enjoyed it.

You forget how precarious a life it was these men led.

I can't remember the name of the book but it is a good read. I was disappointed how little of the film was about the time spent in the boats trying to get to South America as it's a huge part of the book.

Carl Fredrickson

CS brought back the penguins for Edinburgh Zoo

I think they were also instrumental in bringing the polar bears too. I think Mercedes paid for the bear called Mercedes (funnily enough) but CS were part of the logistical team.

Watched the show and enjoyed it - felt it ended a bit quick though.

I can't remember the name of the book but it is a good read. I was disappointed how little of the film was about the time spent in the boats trying to get to South America as it's a huge part of the book.

Moby Dick.

Kalamazoo Jambo

I'm guessing the book that Tazio read was 'In The Heart of The Sea'?

Moby Dick was inspired by the events, apparently.

I'm guessing the book that Tazio read was 'In The Heart of The Sea'?

Moby Dick was inspired by the events, apparently.

That's the one.

Archived